Violent brake pedal & cannot bleed SBC pump

tan159783

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 e320cdi 2003 i6
I have a w211 e320cdi 2003 for my sins. The car was purchased 2 years ago with a failed SBC pump, I took the pump out and changed the brushes, used a gunson bleeder tyre thingy to pressure bleed the SBC without any diagnostic equipment and it worked no problems straight off the bat.

Fast forward to now and 12000 miles later and the brushes have worn down again. As Bosch says they are rearranging their kitchen or something (although I feel its something to do with brexit) they cannot supply a replacement pump for a few months. Mercedes want £1200+vat just for the part. Reluctantly I decided to change the brushes again to get me going even if it only works for another year. All done and bled the brake system the same way as last time with the pressure bleeder. However although the pump has sprung back to life, it keeps going on and on till it times out and the dashboard is red with warning bells.

Tried bleeding multiple times but still the same. Thinking the air might be trapped in the emergency circuit (and also out of desperation) i also bled the front 2 wheels using the conventional method of pressing the foot brake. Then I borrowed a Bosch Diagnostic machine which allowed for SBC to be bled like the STAR procedure . The flashing red light on the dash did go away and the gears were not restricted but the brake pedal was very hard but did little to stop the car. The pump also ran every time the pedal was pressed which cause the brake pedal to move up and down violently and funnt noises coming from the brake master cylinder. I have tried to bleed the system twice more but still the master cylinder makes a weird scraping noise and the pedal bounces up and down.

The 2 main diagnostic error codes are
1) c2514 Hydraulic fault : a7/3y1 (left front separating valve)
1) c2534 Hydraulic fault : a7/3y2 (left right separating valve)

Is this still a bleeding issue or is there some other problem? I have read hundreds of sbc posts but non like this IMG_20191124_194430.jpg

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
If the pump runs everytime you press the pedal it sounds to me like the pressure storing sphere has gone. Personally I’d be fitting a new complete unit as safety is always paramount with brakes in my mind.

OP
T

tan159783

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 e320cdi 2003 i6
I don't have any errors related to the pressure reservoir. Also when I go to data it shows the reservoir at 87 bar which is way above the minimum 69.

Top Bottom