Mercedes C63 AMG Wagon 4.0 BiTurbo Stage 1 Remapping with Dyno time!!!

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Hello forum members,

Stunner of a C63 AMG Wagon in this morning

Was great to meet the gentleman who is also a member of the forum so will be hearing from him shortly.

Running the Bosch MED17.7.1 which we have full communication via OBD,.

Got the vehicle inside the Dynocell and started letting it cool down before any pre runs and logging. While vehicle was cooling I did my usual diagnostic and physical checks to make sure I was happy the car was in a fit state to begin work.

From here after getting base data for a stock vehicle and then started our calibration session.

After a full session and a whole load of runs and tweaks later we gained an extra +119bhp and +174nm

Below are plots, shots and videos.

For any enquires please feel free to pop me an email to info@gadtuning.co.uk or call direct on 05603 67 21 09

https://www.gadtuning.co.uk/

https://www.gadtuning.co.uk/rolling-road-essex/

Many thanks

Anthony @ GAD

20191126_140044.jpg
20191126_140056.jpg
Mercedes C63 AMG DG66WBF Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Hello forum members,

Stunner of a C63 AMG Wagon in this morning

Was great to meet the gentleman who is also a member of the forum so will be hearing from him shortly.

Running the Bosch MED17.7.1 which we have full communication via OBD,.

Got the vehicle inside the Dynocell and started letting it cool down before any pre runs and logging. While vehicle was cooling I did my usual diagnostic and physical checks to make sure I was happy the car was in a fit state to begin work.

From here after getting base data for a stock vehicle and then started our calibration session.

After a full session and a whole load of runs and tweaks later we gained an extra +119bhp and +174nm

Below are plots, shots and videos.

For any enquires please feel free to pop me an email to info@gadtuning.co.uk or call direct on 05603 67 21 09

https://www.gadtuning.co.uk/

https://www.gadtuning.co.uk/rolling-road-essex/

Many thanks

Anthony @ GAD

View attachment 54192
View attachment 54193
View attachment 54194
Jesus wept! :eek:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Hope it has an LSD;)

Standard on these!

Yes, it is my car. I had a little panic when I saw the smoke at lift off... Turns out it had climbed off the rear rollers slightly with the huge new-found torque. As it dropped back in to the rear rollers the speed differential smoked the tyres. Phew!

Not really the weather for testing it out today, I'll write a full report soon.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Mine did the same thing last week and the smell of hot rubber was pretty strong.
That extra torque will make a huge difference.

I forgot, the 4.0l TT has an electronic diff doesn't it?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Only fancy electronic one on the S model. My non S car makes do with a regular lsd, Drexler if memory serves.

OP
GAD Tuning LTD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Standard on these!

Yes, it is my car. I had a little panic when I saw the smoke at lift off... Turns out it had climbed off the rear rollers slightly with the huge new-found torque. As it dropped back in to the rear rollers the speed differential smoked the tyres. Phew!

Not really the weather for testing it out today, I'll write a full report soon.

Yes was after a few calibrations in and she was really making some torque! This was just the only video I got while running up! You can see when it sits back down its the tiniest of lifts but is enough for the idler roller to be considerably slower!

After that run I strapped her in even further

Many thanks

OP
GAD Tuning LTD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mine did the same thing last week and the smell of hot rubber was pretty strong.
That extra torque will make a huge difference.

I forgot, the 4.0l TT has an electronic diff doesn't it?

If yours was tested on a dyno jet then yeah they can break away quite easily if testing through inertia mode a 500bhp+ car can spin that mass too easily but we didn't get any tyre smell as our cell extracts total air volume every 7 seconds or slightly less

Many thanks

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
So, my day at GAD tuning....

I started the day early! My trip involved a large section of the m25, and we all know what that can be like! If you don't, you are a very lucky person! My plan was to arrive early and find somewhere to grab a coffee and a bite of breakfast, let the car cool down a bit. My research had found a country park close to GAD, with a nice stroll along the waterfront into town. The market was just setting up and I found a lovely coffee shop just opening, time to chill and read the day's news...

Strolled back and caught up with Anthony just as he was opening the doors. Very welcoming to me, and had a chat and another coffee. Anthony pulled the car in and I settled down in the comfortable and well appointed waiting area. Sorted with wifi, I was able to do a bit of work in peace while Anthony got on with his. He popped back in pretty quickly to tell me his inspection of the car was all good, and we were ready to proceed. From my vantage point I was just able to keep an ear on proceedings and listen to my car getting a little work out. It isn't shocking to hear, and Anthony doesn't needlessly hold the car at top revs.

I have had cars tuned in this way before, and I have researched the industry quite a bit over the years. Finding someone to trust with this work can be a bit of a minefield. I didn't want to go anywhere that opened the ecu and worked directly on the board. The ecu lives in the engine bay, and is quite open to the elements. I'd rather not take any risks with its sealing. Anthony can do these all via the OBD port under the dashboard. Previously I had my E46 M3 set up by Evolve Tuning when I fitted a CSL Carbon air box to it. Dyno power readings can and do seem to vary quite a bit, and I always take power figures quoted from them with a pinch of salt. Unless you have measured them against a known yardstick, you really have no idea of the accuracy. There are a few tuners out there who take a stock reading and then tell you "ooo, you have a good one here, it makes 30bhp more than the maker says it should". Time and time again. Really?? Of course the headline "after tuning" figures are going to look good then... When I had my M3 done it initially made 322bhp. The maker quotes them at 343bhp. Maahny at Evolve said it was right, the stock engines never make the quoted figure. My previous research had already suggested that to be the truth. When finished the M3 pulled 359bhp, pretty close to CSL power. The CSL runs a slightly different exhaust cam, so it seems pretty fair.
I also had a Nissan R35 GTR tweaked by another well known tuner. (No names ;)). It threw a rod at Silverstone. Less said the better...

Anyway, back on topic. Anthony reported the stock run showed 463bhp, pretty close to the factory 469bhp, and I was pleased that his dyno looks to be an honest one!

As you will have seen above, the end results are pleasing. 582bhp, 948Nm. The car is now something of a weapon! The beauty is it hasn't become an unruly animal to drive. In comfort mode the swell of torque is gentle, but plentiful, and you can just waft around with the lightest touch of the throttle. Obviously there is plenty there when you call for it! The weather is not up to exploring the upper reaches of its ability at the moment, but having owned a tuned one of these before I already have a fair idea of what it will be like ;)
It feels terrible to say it, but having got used to the first C63 I owned, this car actually felt pretty slow before. Not anymore! Anthony removed the top speed limiter while he was in there too. Perfect excuse for a trip to Germany to visit my wife's cousins!

Altogether a great experience! Anthony is a true gentleman. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending his services!

Last edited:
OP
GAD Tuning LTD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes

I started the day early! My trip involved a large section of the m25, and we all know what that can be like! If you don't, you are a very lucky person! My plan was to arrive early and find somewhere to grab a coffee and a bite of breakfast, let the car cool down a bit. My research had found a country park close to GAD, with a nice stroll along the waterfront into town. The market was just setting up and I found a lovely coffee shop just opening, time to chill and read the day's news...

Strolled back and caught up with Anthony just as he was opening the doors. Very welcoming to me, and had a chat and another coffee. Anthony pulled the car in and I settled down in the comfortable and well appointed waiting area. Sorted with wifi, I was able to do a bit of work in peace while Anthony got on with his. He popped back in pretty quickly to tell me his inspection of the car was all good, and we were ready to proceed. From my vantage point I was just able to keep an ear on proceedings and listen to my car getting a little work out. It isn't shocking to hear, and Anthony doesn't needlessly hold the car at top revs.

I have had cars tuned in this way before, and I have researched the industry quite a bit over the years. Finding someone to trust with this work can be a bit of a minefield. I didn't want to go anywhere that opened the ecu and worked directly on the board. The ecu lives in the engine bay, and is quite open to the elements. I'd rather not take any risks with its sealing. Anthony can do these all via the OBD port under the dashboard. Previously I had my E46 M3 set up by Evolve Tuning when I fitted a CSL Carbon air box to it. Dyno power readings can and do seem to vary quite a bit, and I always take power figures quoted from them with a pinch of salt. Unless you have measured them against a known yardstick, you really have no idea of the accuracy. There are a few tuners out there who take a stock reading and then tell you "ooo, you have a good one here, it makes 30bhp more than the maker says it should". Time and time again. Really?? Of course the headline "after tuning" figures are going to look good then... When I had my M3 done it initially made 322bhp. The maker quotes them at 343bhp. Maahny at Evolve said it was right, the stock engines never make the quoted figure. My previous research had already suggested that to be the truth. When finished the M3 pulled 359bhp, pretty close to CSL power. The CSL runs a slightly different exhaust cam, so it seems pretty fair.
I also had a Nissan R35 GTR tweaked by another well known tuner. (No names ;)). It threw a rod at Silverstone. Less said the better...

Anyway, back on topic. Anthony reported the stock run showed 463bhp, pretty close to the factory 469bhp, and I was pleased that his dyno looks to be an honest one!

As you will have seen above, the end results are pleasing. 582bhp, 948Nm. The car is now something of a weapon! The beauty is it hasn't become an unruly animal to drive. In comfort mode the swell of torque is gentle, but plentiful, and you can just waft around with the lightest touch of the throttle. Obviously there is plenty there when you call for it! The weather is not up to exploring the upper reaches of its ability at the moment, but having owned a tuned one of these before I already have a fair idea of what it will be like ;)
It feels terrible to say it, but having got used to the first C63 I owned, this car actually felt pretty slow before. Not anymore! Anthony removed the top speed limiter while he was in there too. Perfect excuse for a trip to Germany to visit my wife's cousins!

Altogether a great experience! Anthony is a true gentleman. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending his services!
Thank you for not only your kind words but also choosing us here at GAD it was indeed our pleasure to work with yourself on your beautiful car!

Many thanks again hope to chat again soon

Minvalla

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C63 S Wagon 4.0 V8

Altogether a great experience! Anthony is a true gentleman. I have absolutely no hesitation in recomm

Minvalla

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C63 S Wagon 4.0 V8
That's a great review thank you Uncle Benz! I have a very similar car but S version. My question is what the insurance impact was? From the research I have been doing an engine remap alone, with no mechanical mods, seems to make very little difference in premiums.

Just interested in % loading if any, not actual figures!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
That's a great review thank you Uncle Benz! I have a very similar car but S version. My question is what the insurance impact was? From the research I have been doing an engine remap alone, with no mechanical mods, seems to make very little difference in premiums.

You could ring your current insurer and ask the question.
In fact, it's prudent to ask beforehand in case your current insurer refuses to insure a modified version.

In my case, (W212 E63), the increase was very little.

Minvalla

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C63 S Wagon 4.0 V8
You could ring your current insurer and ask the question.
In fact, it's prudent to ask beforehand in case your current insurer refuses to insure a modified version.

In my case, (W212 E63), the increase was very little.
Thanks AMGeed!

I am with Adrian Flux currently and they have done a great deal for my modified Focus St225 over the years (Had since new in 2006) but the rates for the C63 are a bit high for the remainder of my policy. Good to know though, thanks. Remapping is not likely to create a higher risk really, and get better MPG ;)

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes

I have motor trade insurance, and there was no additional premium for the tuning. I wouldn’t say my motor insurance is cheap though, by any means! Currently I refer to it as the devil’s number. I pay £666 per month for my policy!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
That doesn't seem too bad for a demonic car!
I have to have fully comp to drive customer cars, public liability, employer’s liability and all the other trappings of running a busy motor repair shop. In terms of what’s covered it’s actually competitive

Peter Best Insurance is a leading specialist in Mercedes-Benz insurance. All MBO members are eligible for exclusive rates on all our classic car policies.
Call now for our 'BEST' quote. Tel: 01376 573033
Top Bottom