Focusing LED headlights?

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Hi,

I am putting this up as a separate question to my previous as there was perhaps too much going on in the other :)

So on my 2016 S205 I have great LED headlights and I know they are supposed to be auto levelling (they dance up and down on start up).

But there seems to be a bit of a “hole” in the light pattern in the middle - sometimes I think the RH dim is too low, but change my mind nearly straight away.

My question is - do LED head lights need to be calibrated in a garage ? Or does the internal systems do enough to “level” them.

I don’t want to go into the garage and make a fool of myself asking for them to set the dims....

(PS this is not my first LED headlight car - I had a VW with LEDs previously and didn’t have an issue with the beam pattern.

Thanks

Liam

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
check which version you have....

could it be the morphing intelligent ones that try not to dazzle by working around other vehicles - they demonstrate (on purpose) the issues you describe

check out from 1min 30sec, great driving overtaking round a bend on the wrong side and with a junction..... Doh !

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Hi, I doubt its these headlights (what would that be listed as under the VIN decoding?)
Mine is noticeable on the dims. I was wondering if it was the auto levelling (?) .

Also its the same spot every time and not when I’m behind a car etc.

Any other thoughts? It does not really interfere with my driving or vision at night.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yes they can be calibrated. They’re done so when built and if any of the following has been done/ occurred, should be recalibrated:

1. Any suspension work whatsoever.
2. Any frontal damage whatsoever.

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Yes they can be calibrated. They’re done so when built and if any of the following has been done/ occurred, should be recalibrated:

1. Any suspension work whatsoever.
2. Any frontal damage whatsoever.

There was definitely no damage done to the car and I don't know about suspension issues.

I can deffo see that the right hand light is lower than the left though. (I think some garages like to do this with them.

Is there a manual adjustment that I can make to the light? (i just needs a bit of vertical adjustment...) I know how to do this on "normal" light - but I've never touched LED's

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Is it still under warranty? Ask your dealer to do a recalibration, they may need to get the test set in, so talk to them.

Have you had a windscreen replacement?

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Hi,

No I've only had the car 2 weeks (very happy with it) so historicly it may have had a new screen (too dark to check now if its an original MB....have a look tomorrow.
I should have thought of that myself - had my last cars windscreen replace - took nearly 6 weeks to co-ordinate everything (including the vendor dropping the first replacement screen...)
I'll mention it to them - car was from a MB service garage (they have other marques, but are official MB service agents). Was supposed to have had a comprehensive set of tests and it was serviced....so I would have thought that the dip beams would have been checked......

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Hi,

No I've only had the car 2 weeks (very happy with it) so historicly it may have had a new screen (too dark to check now if its an original MB....have a look tomorrow.
I should have thought of that myself - had my last cars windscreen replace - took nearly 6 weeks to co-ordinate everything (including the vendor dropping the first replacement screen...)
I'll mention it to them - car was from a MB service garage (they have other marques, but are official MB service agents). Was supposed to have had a comprehensive set of tests and it was serviced....so I would have thought that the dip beams would have been checked......

Is that like assume? To make an ass of you and me. As its new to you ask them to look at it.

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
LOL- yep - except I was trying to avoid saying Assyoume...

I'll ask them - he owes me the push button for Keyless go anyway (paid enough for the car as well....)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom