Quickest car washing session.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
It was pouring down yesterday so decided it was a good time to wash the car.
It lives under a large oak tree so gets covered in yuk and was exceptionally filthy.
Put some halfords car shampoo with wax on a sponge, wiped it over the whole car (took 5 mins?) and left the rain to do its work.
Came out this morning and wow, a very very clean shiny car with water just beading perfectly...

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Mmmm, that's different and quick! :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I guess apart from looking a pratt washing a car while it's actually raining it must be the best time to do it :D

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I have washed my car many times in the rain. Any dirt is softer and easier to remove. It makes cleaning under the wheel arches so much easier too.

OP
Rappey69

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I guess apart from looking a pratt washing a car while it's actually raining it must be the best time to do it

I must admit I do try and look less obvious when a car drives along the road as I must look crazy.. but its such a quick, cheap and easy way to clean the car. £10 for 5 litres of car wash and wax. It takes maybe two tablespoons to wash it when the car is already saturated.. Will last for years !
Used a tiny £20 tin of premium car wax and cant see its any better than cheap halfords stuff and takes a whole lot less effort :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
90 seconds through the car wash...:D

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
It was pouring down yesterday so decided it was a good time to wash the car.
It lives under a large oak tree so gets covered in yuk and was exceptionally filthy.
Put some halfords car shampoo with wax on a sponge, wiped it over the whole car (took 5 mins?) and left the rain to do its work.
Came out this morning and wow, a very very clean shiny car with water just beading perfectly...

please don’t forward this on to “Detailing World” this could push some of the Gents on there over the edge !! :eek:

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
90 seconds through the car wash...:D

IMO car wash, Boston, Lincs. The two Eastern European workers (a couple?) spent about 2 minutes on each front wheel, rolled me forwards a foot or so to do the bits they couldn't get to previously, did the windows and mirrors properly before I went through the machine.

Sparkling clean, £4.

Would have cost £7 down here and the 'attended' bit is minimal involvement.

People complain about them but those Eastern Europeans know how to graft.

A lot of the locals seem to have forgotten the art.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IMO car wash, Boston, Lincs. The two Eastern European workers (a couple?) spent about 2 minutes on each front wheel, rolled me forwards a foot or so to do the bits they couldn't get to previously, did the windows and mirrors properly before I went through the machine.

Sparkling clean, £4.

Would have cost £7 down here and the 'attended' bit is minimal involvement.

People complain about them but those Eastern Europeans know how to graft.

A lot of the locals seem to have forgotten the art.
The further south the more expensive the wash... they should all do a pre-wash and roll you forward for anything from wash 1 and above.
A lot of the operators are Kurdish refugees from the wars. Very hard working

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
We have a similar outfit nearby - usually two guys and woman who works as hard if not harder than the men. It's now £7 for a wash and dry - they spend in total about 35 minutes on it and it's cheaper than the 'orrible automatic washes in the supermarkets that I never use because I'd like to keep my paint! As above, these people have a real work ethic and I wish them well.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have a similar outfit nearby - usually two guys and woman who works as hard if not harder than the men. It's now £7 for a wash and dry - they spend in total about 35 minutes on it and it's cheaper than the 'orrible automatic washes in the supermarkets that I never use because I'd like to keep my paint! As above, these people have a real work ethic and I wish them well.
I’m not talking about the unlicensed hand car wash operations. Which should be shut down.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I’m not talking about the unlicensed hand car wash operations. Which should be shut down.

Who said they're unlicensed (I certainly didn't)? The one I mentioned occupies an annexe behind a local filling station and sign-written notices show their prices with details - all posted on the walls.

I know the old adage about two wrongs etc but guessing your "shut down" reasoning and just for comparison, I just looked up Amazon and in 2018 they paid $0 in U.S. federal income tax on more than $11 billion in profits before taxes. It also received a $129 million tax rebate from the federal government. - And it increased sales volumes in 2019 (up 24% in third quarter)!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just washed mine, half in the rain (as in, half the time it rained... Not half the car was in the rain...!)

Not long finished and it's now hammering down. Fortunately, the Meguiar's Hybrid Spray type stuff is water activated anyway, so is actually helping!

Water beading like a goodun'! :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom