500e hybrid... owner update

Quickbrit

Reaction score
Website
www.2wf.com
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class 250 CDI Cab
I appreciate these are rare (unpopular?) but it’s turning out to be one of my favourite Mercedes to date.

I'm averaging just under 40MPG with mixed usage, town and countryside, and for a 450BHP SUV that’s pretty good in my book.

The car typically runs on electricity up until around 20% charge left, then it’s a mix of fuel and electric. When the battery gets to that 20% it then gets off the line with a boost of electric then quickly (and seamlessly) into fuel only. When in sport mode, the car tightens up the steering and suspension, and stomping on the gas gets you both fuels and a 5-second 0-60, which in a vehicle of this size it’s both entertaining and almost beyond belief.

There seems to be lots of comments on the lost boot space and higher deck, but it’s negligible, and to be honest if you’re not able to lift your load (or dog) just four inches higher than stock, then this cars not for you (or you’re just looking for something to winge about).

I've just installed a charger and holster at home, it’s a simple task now to back into my driveway and plug in. I went to the cinema recently, went a little over 12-miles on battery only, plugged into a charge point, which cost £1.14 (and got me a front row parking space) and almost made it back home for a 26 mile round trip at 94-MPG. Perfect.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thanks for the owner’s review it certainly sounds an interesting, practical and fun car that does exactly the job you wanted it for.

I think most people on this forum tend to keep a car long term and this is where some of the negativity comes in regarding owning a hybrid, what will the residuals be like, is it feasible to own outside MB warranty etc.

I personally feel that if MB were prepared to offer a warranty on hybrid battery issues with these cars for 10 years as Toyota do that negativity would soon dissipate

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Good review, glad you are happy with it.

It is an interesting proposition. It is a rare beast and a rapid one at that

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Thanks for the interesting update - I am fascinated by the performance of your car and your experiences of it. I'm sorry if you thought I was 'wingeing' when I expressed a view on the space the battery takes from the boot - I was just expressing my thoughts on whether I would like to live with one. I should keep my thoughts to myself, apparently...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
There seems to be lots of comments on the lost boot space and higher deck, but it’s negligible, and to be honest if you’re not able to lift your load (or dog) just four inches higher than stock, then this cars not for you (or you’re just looking for something to winge about).

The image below is the boot of my W166 GLE with the spare wheel and tools under the boot floor, almost loaded for a holiday. That is 4x suitcases, 2x suit carriers, 1x full size wheelchair, 1x camera bag, 1x backpack. In addition to the standard triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and other bits packed under the boot floor.

I'm not sure the loss of boot space in your images of the battery pack would enable us to go on holiday.

Not a whinge, just a factual image.

The primary reason for having the diseasel version is as a tug. I did have a test drive in the hybrid version, but I recall it couldn't tow the large caravan we have, for some reason. Not a whinge. There was an offer of a 'free' upgrade to the Designo spec Hybrid, but no use if it can't be a tug, for me.

IMG_2759.jpg

OP
Quickbrit

Quickbrit

Reaction score
Website
www.2wf.com
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class 250 CDI Cab
Fair comment...

Having this vehicle might help you pack a little more judiciously though? :)

The image below is the boot of my W166 GLE with the spare wheel and tools under the boot floor, almost loaded for a holiday. That is 4x suitcases, 2x suit carriers, 1x full size wheelchair, 1x camera bag, 1x backpack. In addition to the standard triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and other bits packed under the boot floor.

I'm not sure the loss of boot space in your images of the battery pack would enable us to go on holiday.

Not a whinge, just a factual image.

The primary reason for having the diseasel version is as a tug. I did have a test drive in the hybrid version, but I recall it couldn't tow the large caravan we have, for some reason. Not a whinge. There was an offer of a 'free' upgrade to the Designo spec Hybrid, but no use if it can't be a tug, for me.

View attachment 54219

OP
Quickbrit

Quickbrit

Reaction score
Website
www.2wf.com
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class 250 CDI Cab
No offence taken.

Come and have a drive.

Thanks for the interesting update - I am fascinated by the performance of your car and your experiences of it. I'm sorry if you thought I was 'wingeing' when I expressed a view on the space the battery takes from the boot - I was just expressing my thoughts on whether I would like to live with one. I should keep my thoughts to myself, apparently...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Fair comment...

Having this vehicle might help you pack a little more judiciously though? :)

We have a 1 bag rule for caravanning holidays due to weight restrictions.
We comply with airline limitations if flying.
As we were cruising with no limits and requiring formal, smart and casual dress as well as differing climates we used the available space. Not to mention the 2 small suitcases not in the above packing list, of goodies for relatives in Iceland. For which the W166 with the full size boot, fitted the bill. We'd have struggled with the hybrid. ;):D:cool::cool:

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
No offence taken.

Come and have a drive.
I'll bear the invite in mind, if I'm ever in Devon, ta. I have always been more of an estate person than an SUV person, though.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom