oil leak

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Hi all.
As some might remember I have oil leaking from the Turbo. I have nailed this down and it is coming from the compressor side of the turbo. It is not oil out of the turbo but oil going in.
It would appear after a lot of searching that the engine at 52,000 has a lot of crankcase compression, hence there is quite a lot of fumes at separator, as this cools goes back to oil which is taken into the turbo. There is quite a lot of oil in the pipes.
I do not think this warrants any engine work as car quite old.
Question
For the old school people on here, can I ask if fitting an oil catch can to catch the oil before the turbo would do the trick.
The leak is very small, about a teaspoon full in a 1000 miles or so, but would like to stop it if I can

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Yes, a catch can does work. What you are getting is common and not just in high mileage motors. All modern motors have PCV. Petrol engines just suck it into the inlet manifold whereas diesels, with little vacuum, have it fed into the inlet tract prior to the turbo. This the coats the whole inlet tract from turbo through intercooler and piping and then into inlet manifold where it combines beautifully with the egr input to create a lovely black tar. The oil itself does no damage but, combined with egr input, it causes heaps of problems. Either fit a catch tank or delete the egr.....

Ian.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
IMG_1030egr1_zps6ros8tyz.jpg IMG_1033egr2_zpsydqy24r2.jpg
EGR's are a PITA, this is mine before and after.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The above was my catch can “story” on the om642 engine

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Hmmm.
I want to reduce the oil going to turbo inlet. I have replaced the seperator which made no difference. The oil leaks out of rear of turbo, difficult to explain. If you consider there is a plate on the inside of the inlet side of turbo, it seems to me that the oil in the fumes collects inside and gets blown out, collects on bottom of turbo then drips on to the turbo activator, and then when there is enough drips onto the ground. It is very slight but would like to get rid of it.
May well just fit a catch can as I cannot see it will do any harm as long as its a closed system

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have ordered a cheap catch can to fit and see if it works. I read somewhere that an owner fitted one to a ML270 and it worked fine however he by passed the sensor in the line and his fuel consumption was lowered quite a bit.hence he removed the catch can.
I have worked out a way to keep the sensor in line, I have no idea what the sensor does or reads as its just fumes from the engine passing through it.
Located just after the oil separator in the pipe that joins to the air intake.
Out of curiosity does anyone know what it does.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have ordered a cheap catch can to fit and see if it works. I read somewhere that an owner fitted one to a ML270 and it worked fine however he by passed the sensor in the line and his fuel consumption was lowered quite a bit.hence he removed the catch can.
I have worked out a way to keep the sensor in line, I have no idea what the sensor does or reads as its just fumes from the engine passing through it.
Located just after the oil separator in the pipe that joins to the air intake.
Out of curiosity does anyone know what it does.
You need a catch can that has large ports for a diesel , so many cans are designed for petrols . Maybe 1/2 inch plus , not sure if my old thread mentioned this

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
hmm.
no, but i have tried to match the size of the inlet/outlet to the same size as the pipe that attaches to the oil separator. Its only a cheap can, and if it works may invest in a better one, if it does not work i will return to standard, as if goes as planned will not destroy any pipes, fittings at all.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
would still like to know what that sensor does that is part of the pipe that runs from oil separator to air inlet pipe, for the life of me i cannot think what it senses !!!!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
giving installation a bit of thought and have decided, as a trail to use clear plastic tube, like the stuff used on high pressure water pumps, reason ?.
I can then see how much oil is going to the catch can, and see how much is returning to the air intake, also its the only right size pipe i can find that will make up reducers so that it fits correctly !!!!.
It is oil resistant, and as it will be away from heat, should not get too soft.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
OK, its in. All runs OK, no lights or issues. I will not use car until Saturday so will see how it goes.
Install comprised of a catch can, 2 metres of 1\2 inch bore clear plastic pipe, two copper right angle bends, which were used to get pipes going right way without tight bends. Two small jubelee clips.
Finding a place to mount can was a struggle, ended up next to the aux pump, as the bracket had a spare threaded mounting. The pipe from oil separator runs down hill.
I will report back at some point.
Oh, that sensor, I am told is not a sensor but a tiny heater, warms gasses going to turbo.
Well, that's what I was told.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, its in. All runs OK, no lights or issues. I will not use car until Saturday so will see how it goes.
Install comprised of a catch can, 2 metres of 1\2 inch bore clear plastic pipe, two copper right angle bends, which were used to get pipes going right way without tight bends. Two small jubelee clips.
Finding a place to mount can was a struggle, ended up next to the aux pump, as the bracket had a spare threaded mounting. The pipe from oil separator runs down hill.
I will report back at some point.
Oh, that sensor, I am told is not a sensor but a tiny heater, warms gasses going to turbo.
Well, that's what I was told.
Let’s have some pics buddy :D

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I would but I struggle a bit with getting pictures on to the site.
Give me some time to figure it out

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
20191205_153805.jpg

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
20191205_153752.jpg

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
The pipes fitted very snugly into the copper elbows, but I super glued them as well. The other elbow was filed down a bit and it slotted neatly into the oil separator outlet, I just put a bit of sealent round it to be sure.
The system should be more air tight than it was before.

David Bailey I am not.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Maybe pictures in day light would be better. Now I have worked out how to do it with my phone I can post some better pics.
I am a tech idiot !!!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom