The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well yes. I have been googling local gear all afternoon. Is this a fairy new discovery though as it only seems to be available in America currently and not here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have read in the past it’s been done here as well , if that helps

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It is done in the UK. It's a common fix for carbon encrusted ports on direct injection petrol BMWs engines.
No idea where though as I have never needed it.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009

Okay!!! Weird result from that link.....
03c17e9acb11f2aa42d421df6045842e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
It is done in the UK. It's a common fix for carbon encrusted ports on direct injection petrol BMWs engines.
No idea where though as I have never needed it.

Is it a fairly new method or discovery?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Okay. The inlet manifold is back in and she is ready to fire up again. However!!! On my iCarsoft (god knows why they have tried copying Apple?!!!) it shows, well see my attached photos. I have this morning tested both the cables and the glow plugs for continuity. And found I have just one glow plug without an issue. Thus it would seem i will need to replace all of them most likely. Now a question regarding the wiring loom. I it possibly to replace just the glowplug wiring loom only without touching the rest? Because that, from my perspective would be more do able than taking the lot out.
Answers on a post card please!!!! IMG_7694.jpg IMG_7695.jpg IMG_7696.jpg

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Okay, this is getting silly now!!!!
And before anyone asks, no I have not pressure washed the engine again, the only water that has been near the car is rain water. However I have been critical of making sure the bonnet was closed whenever the rain started, bar the light stuff as a pre warning. So, go figure people. Why am I getting this still? And the tank is almost full of diesel now.
IMG_7698.jpg

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
That's the inlet feed to the fuel filter, isn't it?
I seem to remember from earlier in this saga that you had the engine running fine after you'd cleaned and refilled the tank - or am I wrong here?
Has you ever run a check on the cleanliness of the fuel coming out of this filter since you emptied and refilled the diesel tank, and had the engine running?
Maybe this is residual and not fresh contamination. It still needs purging from the system, but may not be as bad as you imagine.

One small aspect to check is the drain hole in the fuel filler opening (where the fill hose from the garage pump goes in). If it's blocked, this could account for water getting into the tank. Long shot - but any port in a storm ('scuse the pun).

Last edited:
OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I seem to remember from earlier in this saga that you had the engine running fine after you'd cleaned and refilled the tank - or am I wrong here?
Has you ever run a check on the cleanliness of the fuel coming out of this filter since you emptied and refilled the diesel tank, and had the engine running?
Maybe this is residual and not fresh contamination. It still needs purging from the system, but may not be as bad as you imagine.

One small aspect to check is the drain hole in the fuel filler opening (where the fill hose from the garage pump goes in). If it's blocked, this could account for water getting into the tank. Long shot - but any port in a storm ('scuse the pun).

First question reply, yes correct.

Second reply. no as she was running absolutely fine when the hydraulic pump failed. And only rainwater could possibly get in but even then, how?
Third reply. Absolutely bud, I will look there next.

Last edited:
OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

And my first question from earlier?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

If that's the one just below and to the right of where the fuel cap is then it is clear. Just pushed a small and long bit if hose down it and water and I can see it draining under the car.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
That's the girlfriend not me.

So that explains it...there I was thinking, now, that's a good idea..stops the oil and other miscellaneous detritus migrating up past the wrist, on the way to the elbow...:geek::geek::geek:

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
So that explains it...there I was thinking, now, that's a good idea..stops the oil and other miscellaneous detritus migrating up past the wrist, on the way to the elbow...:geek::geek::geek:

had to read that twice. That was weeks ago.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Right now I can hear that song by Chris Rea...."Driving home for Christmas....."
and I will!!!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
She is up and running again and ready for her Mot tomorrow morning.
She still has some little things that need addressing but they are not safety related. She needs new glow plugs and/or new cable harness. And she will now need a new fuel filter, new oil and oil filter, and each injector replacing one by one.
Although that money could also go towards my next Mercedes-Benz.
I cannot believe she pushed me this far and right up to Christmas. And as the song goes by Chris Rea, "I will be driving home for Christmas........." and i will now!!!
Oh yes and in order to get her going with contaminated diesel we put in 2 litres of Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA), one treatment of Redex fuel treatment, one other fuel treatment and just kept going until she finally sparked into life again this afternoon.
What a journey this has been.
She has her Mot tomorrow morning. With Halfords as they had a special offer on and I booked it when it was available for just £10.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
She is up and running again and ready for her Mot tomorrow morning.
She still has some little things that need addressing but they are not safety related. She needs new glow plugs and/or new cable harness. And she will now need a new fuel filter, new oil and oil filter, and each injector replacing one by one.
Although that money could also go towards my next Mercedes-Benz.
I cannot believe she pushed me this far and right up to Christmas. And as the song goes by Chris Rea, "I will be driving home for Christmas........." and i will now!!!
Oh yes and in order to get her going with contaminated diesel we put in 2 litres of Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA), one treatment of Redex fuel treatment, one other fuel treatment and just kept going until she finally sparked into life again this afternoon.
What a journey this has been.
She has her Mot tomorrow morning. With Halfords as they had a special offer on and I booked it when it was available for just £10.

Good luck buddy , it’s definitely been a saga !

Top Bottom