W220 - Car has gone made - Loads of warnings and flashing interior lights - Help!

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
Just got into my car tonight, and it went mad - I am getting the interior switches and button lights flashing on and off, a "Display malfuntion error", SRS error, Fuel Gauge going up and down, audible bongs, etc - Something has gone serious awry!
I have checked for codes with MB2 Scanner, and nothing untoward is showing up -
Can you please check the video below and let me know if you have seen anthing like this before.
(The only change to normal habits today was to have my winter wheels put on at the tyre shop)

Car still drives ok, and headlights are unaffected.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Just got into my car tonight, and it went mad - I am getting the interior switches and button lights flashing on and off, a "Display malfuntion error", SRS error, Fuel Gauge going up and down, audible bongs, etc - Something has gone serious awry!
I have checked for codes with MB2 Scanner, and nothing untoward is showing up -
Can you please check the video below and let me know if you have seen anthing like this before.
(The only change to normal habits today was to have my winter wheels put on at the tyre shop)

Car still drives ok, and headlights are unaffected.
Very strange. Indeed

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You have a can fault somewhere. Potentially a faulty module spewing rubbish onto the canbus.

Pull fuses one by one untik it stops, then you know its that module.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
How old is the car battery a low voltage can play havoc with modern technology it’s certainly the first thing I would check, should be 12.6V engine off and 14V+ when charging

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Water in somewhere it shouldn’t be and low battery voltage is what I’d be looking for

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
How old is the car battery a low voltage can play havoc with modern technology it’s certainly the first thing I would check, should be 12.6V engine off and 14V+ when charging

According to the receipts I have from the previous owner, I have an invoice from MB for a new battery (pt number 001 982 82 08) this time last year. I will check it tomorrow, but I am doubting it is at fault (I also have a fresh battery which I can try tomorrow to eliminate this theory)

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Water in somewhere it shouldn’t be and low battery voltage is what I’d be looking for
Yeah, thinking water, though it has been very dry and cold here recently - no rain

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
According to the receipts I have from the previous owner, I have an invoice from MB for a new battery (pt number 001 982 82 08) this time last year. I will check it tomorrow, but I am doubting it is at fault (I also have a fresh battery which I can try tomorrow to eliminate this theory)

Since writing this thread, I had told the Merc it was a very naughty boy and locked it up and left it (ie - put it to sleep) - I just went back now to check the voltages via the diagnostic menu in the climate screen, and they are showing 14v running and 12.4v off (the headlights were still on) - so I think battery is ok - The disco seemed to have stopped when I started it - I will check again tomorrow. Maybe the car brain just got its knickers in a twist for a bit.

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A good overnight rest seems to have fixed the issue - I may have found a secret combination for Christmas mode as
Rappey69 said earlier - Maybe a unpositive key turn on starting along with my 9 year old daughter fiddling with all the different seat adjustment knobs!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
My w203 over 10 years of ownership did many strange electrical things, but most were cured with a turn off and turn back on again, or a good overnight charge or as a last resort a visit to mbs !
My w204 rarely turns on the eco stop/start (which is actually a blessing) and sometimes does not have "brake hold" but turn it off and back on and all fixed again !
I put it down to a Mercedes thing :p

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
It's easy to forget when everything is fine that our cars are littered with sensors and other gizmos. The only strange thing I've had is a "limp" mode with no messages - eventually cured by indy: Mercland who found and fixed a problem with a "boost pipe". It's worth getting a reliable indy to check it out because a small bill to correct something now is a lot better than being stuck miles away from home etc...

Going by your latest comments it can't be a very serious problem but it's always a worry what might happen until the issue is is resolved. Best of luck with it lordgaz - fingers X'd etc

Top Bottom