Hi there 06 Clk 180 owner SRS problem

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
Hi all
Only discovered this site. Hope someone can help me with an SRS problem. The fault is coming up as passenger seat.
Under the seat it seems someone as tampered with the electrics under the seat and perhaps added a component probably to by pass the fault. My mechanic is stumped Has never seen it before. Can anyone help. 20191119_120030.jpg 20191119_115956.jpg

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
SRS light cant be turned off. Has anyone seen this box under seat before. Or know what it is. 20191119_130223.jpg

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Hi and welcome to here,

The passenger seat will have an “occupancy” sensor so that it knows wether to fire the airbags or not.

These often break, called a “squab”, might be “squabb” as people kneel on the seat.
If this is damaged it puts the SRS light on as the system thinks there is is problem.
People tend to buy one of these emulators and plug them in to fool the system. Just very silly if you have an accident with some one in the passenger seat, no airbags.

The squab is in the seat base, need to remove the seat base and replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It's an emulator...probably for a broken seat sensor. These are used when an electronic device in your car no longer works as it should..the emulator fools it into thinking all is ok...but the device will still not work. Suchas, seat heater, airbag sensor, steering locks etc etc.

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
Hi and welcome to here,

The passenger seat will have an “occupancy” sensor so that it knows wether to fire the airbags or not.

These often break, called a “squab”, might be “squabb” as people kneel on the seat.
If this is damaged it puts the SRS light on as the system things there is is problem.
People tend to buy one of these emulators and plug them in to fool the system it does. Just very silly if you have an accident with some one in the passenger seat, no airbags.

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
Thank you so much for reply. Have I basically been driving around with no airbags so even before light came on.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
No...but it will go off with no one in the seat in the event of an accident.

BTW...why 2 threads about this?

I've merged them.

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
No...but it will go off with no one in the seat in the event of an accident.

BTW...why 2 threads about this?

I've merged them.
Sorry to tell the truth its years since I used a forum. It took me around half an hour to sign up. Thanks for merging them. Plus I got an answer straight away. What a great site.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

As per above, it's a child seat recognition emulator - it stops the Airbag Warning light showing if there is a fault in the sensor built into the seat. Airbag warning light showing is an MOT failure.

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
Hello and welcome,

As per above, it's a child seat recognition emulator - it stops the Airbag Warning light showing if there is a fault in the sensor built into the seat. Airbag warning light showing is an MOT failure.

Hi yeah
I had someone look at it. I'm in Ireland so we have NCT it's been retested on Thursday. I've found someone to replace the imulater. For the time been. Not ideal I know but just need it to pass NCT as my insurance is void without it. I'm usually in car on my own anyway. If someone wants a lift they can hop in the back. This is my 3rd Merc and I'm not allowed get another one haha.

OP
J

Janis J

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 clk 180
Hi and welcome to here,

If this is damaged it puts the SRS light on as the system thinks there is is problem.
People tend to buy one of these emulators and plug them in to fool the system. Just very silly if you have an accident with some one in the passenger seat, no airbags.

I have someone to replace the imulater he wouldnt even price me to replace the sensor mat in seat base. Is it really that much of a big job as I will have to get it done at some stage. Also worried in case effects the other airbags.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Janis and welcome to the forum. As you have found out, a friendly and helpful place.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Hi Janis, I had the exact problem on mine a few weeks ago. I did a small write up on replacing the sensor, I wouldn't think its a massively different process to replace the seat sensor on yours. The part was £46 quid and I fitted it myself, I bought an MB code reader to clear the airbag light and warning, but I'd been promising myself one for ages anyway :)!! Note the things Blobcat and Naraic said, your airbag will go off whether or not someone is in the seat if you have a collision so not just a safety thing, it would cost you more to repair if it goes off. Welcome to MB ownership by the way!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Janis, welcome to the best MB forum out there :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm usually in car on my own anyway. If someone wants a lift they can hop in the back. This is my 3rd Merc and I'm not allowed get another one
It's not a problem if they sit in the front.
All the emulator does is turn the air bag on even if no one is sat there.
Worst case scenario is the air bag fires when the seat is empty.
The only thing you should never do us allows child to sit there as the bag firing can cause serious injuries, but then I'd never want children in the front anyway.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom