Mercedes SLK Cracked Sump

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Hi. I'm new on here but thought I would mention an issue I had with my Mercedes SLK Kompressor.
I took it in to a main dealer for a C Service and got a call the same day saying that while attempting to remove the oil plug, the sump had split.
Just wanted to say that the dealers (AC) were brilliant.
They owned up to the damage, paid for and installed a new modified sump and even supplied me with a hire car while I waited for the return of my car.
It just goes to show that using a main dealer can pay for itself as if I had gone to a back street garage they would have billed me for a new sump (this is a common withsump problem Mercedes cars apparently).
I'm so thankful to the dealers but can't believe that a car manufacturer does not do a recall on a known fault with their cars?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
It just goes to show that using a main dealer can pay for itself as if I had gone to a back street garage they would have billed me for a new sump

Or, could the main dealers have overtightened the sump plug at the last service & actually caused the problem in the first place?
Curious one, because most of the main dealers I've used suck the oil out of the dipstick tube now.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Very surprised that a main dealer used the sump plug rather than suck it out. Still a good result

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Or, could the main dealers have overtightened the sump plug at the last service & actually caused the problem in the first place?
Or a hack job fitter bashing away at the plug to remove it. I find it hard to believe that a socket carefully used would crack the sump.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I assume the plug is usually undone while the engine is hot and by that I mean cracked off a tiny bit , no ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If Main Dealers normally oil change from the topside , do they still charge for sump plug/washer :rolleyes:

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Mercedes SLK Kompressor.
I took it in to a main dealer for a C Service and got a call the same day saying that while attempting to remove the oil plug, the sump had split. Just wanted to say that the dealers (AC) were brilliant.
They owned up to the damage, paid for and installed a new modified sump and even supplied me with a hire car while I waited for the return of my car. I'm so thankful to the dealers but can't believe that a car manufacturer does not do a recall on a known fault with their cars?

Nice to read about honourable trading. Glad to read that dealers drain the oil, this must be better than sucking it out. Debris will always sink to the bottom and remain in the dregs.

The recall issue is simple. Any recall draws public attention to a manufacturer's shortcomings. The brand suffers. Many of these cars will never have a problem. It's cost effective to quietly fix the ones that break FOC. Owners who get this treatment leave the dealer feeling they've been well looked after. It's good business practice.

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
id like to survey all MB dealers and see just how many would have owned up to this ??

Unfortunately I have had very bad experiences of the main MB dealers. I seriously decided never to use them but that's my own personal experience as I'm sure some people have a good experience with MB- just not me.
I use Arnold C. They are absolutely superb- always looked after me and always up front and honest.

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Nice to read about honourable trading. Glad to read that dealers drain the oil, this must be better than sucking it out. Debris will always sink to the bottom and remain in the dregs.

The recall issue is simple. Any recall draws public attention to a manufacturer's shortcomings. The brand suffers. Many of these cars will never have a problem. It's cost effective to quietly fix the ones that break FOC. Owners who get this treatment leave the dealer feeling they've been well looked after. It's good business practice.

Very true but how many could fracturr, lose oil and break under the stress of a speed bump causing the engine to seize.
It's a shame that what was once a prestige car is now being classed as a basic car with a plastic sump- not exactly good quality...

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
If Main Dealers normally oil change from the topside , do they still charge for sump plug/washer :rolleyes:
Well said. The sump nut is there for a reason. Imagine all the metal sediments left at the foot of the sump?

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
I assume the plug is usually undone while the engine is hot and by that I mean cracked off a tiny bit , no ?
No, apparently the sump is made of plastic and fractured. A large piece came off the sump with plug still attached.

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Or a hack job fitter bashing away at the plug to remove it. I find it hard to believe that a socket carefully used would crack the sump.
The sump is plastic?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I use Arnold C. They are absolutely superb- always looked after me and always up front and honest.

Arnold C have a terrible reputation .... there used to be a website called Arnoldsucks.com which appears now to be shut down, but there are loads of horror stories re Arnold C

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Well said. The sump nut is there for a reason. Imagine all the metal sediments left at the foot of the sump?

Good oil keeps all the crap in suspension and it ends up in the filter. We drop sumps all the time, on cars that are emptied via the disptick, and the sumps are always clean! You would be surprised....

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Arnold C have a terrible reputation .... there used to be a website called Arnoldsucks.com which appears now to be shut down, but there are loads of horror stories re Arnold C
People sometimes tell me this place is bad or that place is good but in reality you can only go by your own experiences.
I know from once running a business that sometimes people expect everything their way when in reality- the customer is not always right.
I can only say that my own experience of MB has been awful on two separate occasions and I have dealt with AC for the past fifteen years. The level of service had been exceptional.
I can't comment on other people's experience as there are two sides to every story...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I have a Smart Roadster. They don't have a sump plug, so you only have the option of sucking the oil out via the dipstick tube. Long story .... but I removed the sump after I'd sucked the oil out with a Pela and surprise surprise, there was no 'debris' in the dregs .... why would there be?

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
I have a Smart Roadster. They don't have a sump plug, so you only have the option of sucking the oil out via the dipstick tube. Long story .... but I removed the sump after I'd sucked the oil out with a Pela and surprise surprise, there was no 'debris' in the dregs .... why would there be?
I'm not a mechanic but I would presume that the natural wear of the engine over the years would cause sediment but I suppose only a professional mechanic could confirm that
Why do cars have sump plugs if the norm is sucking the oil out?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom