Which double sided tape to mount spoiler?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I purchased a spoiler from MB which has DS tape already mounted. there are a couple of little spots (this is a shop soiled item from their used parts shop in Germany) where the backing on the tape has moved and are no longer sticky. I want to buy some 3M VHB but there are several choices - eg PT1100 or 4941.

Anyone with thoughts on the correct item?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I used 3M on my number plates and they are on there for ever. It's the red DS tape about 1/2" wide in old money :)

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Use 3M 4298 adhesion promotor as well as the 4611F double sided tape then it’s going nowhere, done it with the SL and the E63 worked beautifully

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Use 3M 4298 adhesion promotor as well as the 4611F double sided tape then it’s going nowhere, done it with the SL and the E63 worked beautifully

Does the adhesion promoter damage the paint? I'm not sure why I'm concerned but who knows, I might want to remove teh spoiler.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Does the adhesion promoter damage the paint? I'm not sure why I'm concerned but who knows, I might want to remove teh spoiler.
No, because when I fitted my spoiler, I didn't quite get it spot on, and me being a tad OCD it had to come off, and 2nd time I got it Bob on, it was on about 2 weeks and the paint was fine.:)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As Tony, no.
I masked up the area to aid placement and also being OCD used some IPA preparation first too.
Probably OTT but if anyone saw the spoilers I fitted they were completely central and looked factory.
Admittedly I’ve never taken one off, both times the intention was for them to stay on ‘for life’

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I had my registration plates fixed with 3M DST for about a year and decided to replace them with simpler, cleaner plates and re-fix with 3M DST, no marks on the paintwork at all. :)

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Struggling a bit to find the right thickeness - I measured the existing tape (with a vernier) and it is ~1.5mm to ~1.6mm thick so hoping to find same thickness - most of the recommended tapes are 1.1mm. I might strip all the existing tape and replace with new.

A lot of the 3M tapes only need adhesion promoter on the plastic and will stick to the paint (properly cleaned).

I know .4mm is not much but call me ocd!

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
You, ain't tried 3M VHB tape,
then. :)

Agree - I've had a roll of the clear stuff for years (mostly used for mounting servos etc in composite model planes) and once you stick it down, it ain't coming off. It's all in the surface preparation.

They are assembling busses and trains using VHB in place of rivets and it is stronger.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Agree - I've had a roll of the clear stuff for years (mostly used for mounting servos etc in composite model planes) and once you stick it down, it ain't coming off. It's all in the surface preparation.

They are assembling busses and trains using VHB in place of rivets and it is stronger.
Your right, Rory, preparation is the key! (Get it) :rolleyes::)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I thought spoilers etc were glued on with Sikaflex/Tigerseal :confused: ..... they stick like the proverbial to a blanket. :)

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I thought spoilers etc were glued on with Sikaflex/Tigerseal :confused: ..... they stick like the proverbial to a blanket. :)

It is an OEM spoiler from the MB (used parts / shop soiled) shop. It is pre-mounted with double sided tape - little areas have had the liner moved and have lost their stickiness - hence my need for some.

The manufacturers prefer something with instant grip - glues etc would need to be held in place while while it sets.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It is an OEM spoiler from the MB (used parts / shop soiled) shop. It is pre-mounted with double sided tape - little areas have had the liner moved and have lost their stickiness - hence my need for some.

The manufacturers prefer something with instant grip - glues etc would need to be held in place while while it sets.

I realised why you needed tape, but just surprised it was stuck using tape in the first place. :)

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
Make sure to warm up the spoiler / tape first if you can - it will fit better to the form. Clamp in place for a few mins after.....
That's how OE stuff is fitted

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom