Ml270 , 2003 , project

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
yes all a bit too oily for me , I took the egr pipe of again a week ago just check it and yes plenty of oil in it again
View attachment 54386 View attachment 54387
That brings me neatly on to my next oil leak,beneath all the pipes going in around egr and on right edge of radiator have more oil showing, once again not dripping on floor but messy enough to try and find source
That does look quite wet, is there much oil on the inlet side of the turbo ?.
Assuming the engine oil is fairly new and not overfilled ?

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
did oil service recently, checked levels a couple of times , all spot on.
inlet side had oil in as in post/pics yesterday,(pics don't really show, but was oily)
Now that I have cleaned and resealed inlet pipe to turbo . might give egr(and all oily pipes in vicinity) another clean tomorrow and see if theres any reduction in in egr oil later in week, don't think it will take long to show in egr again .
feel an egr delete coming on!
Just a thought, if I take the egr vacuum pipe off and put it on a spare egr just wedged in place in engine bay(thus leaving my egr closed), will this be enough to fool ecu that egr is operating via vacuum or will sensors still trigger limp mode as air flows etc not changing?

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Just bought another Ml270 , same year same colour, blowing oil out of dipstick(still starts and drives), rusty , but front bumper is easily repaired(has a couple of cracks), good tyres (2 new) same wheels and size, recently replaced injectors, so plenty for me to keep and rest sold off before going to scrappy for hopefully some cash, 400 mile round trip so will find out how much mpg I get and how it smokes pulling a couple of tons...…

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just bought another Ml270 , same year same colour, blowing oil out of dipstick(still starts and drives), rusty , but front bumper is easily repaired(has a couple of cracks), good tyres (2 new) same wheels and size, recently replaced injectors, so plenty for me to keep and rest sold off before going to scrappy for hopefully some cash, 400 mile round trip so will find out how much mpg I get and how it smokes pulling a couple of tons...…
What did that one cost buddy ?

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
What did that one cost buddy ?
New I had forgotten something £480 plus hiring a trailer and fuel, still a bargain considering a bumper was going to cost in the region of £200 , , Think there's a good chance of recouping costs ,with what I need , what I can sell and eventually scrap value,
Going to keep a record of costs and what I can recoup and see how it pans out.

stumo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDI x3 2002,03,04 | Sprinter 316CDI 2003 LWB
Just a thought, if I take the egr vacuum pipe off and put it on a spare egr just wedged in place in engine bay(thus leaving my egr closed), will this be enough to fool ecu that egr is operating via vacuum or will sensors still trigger limp mode as air flows etc not changing?
That won't work. The EGR valve itself isn't the problem, there are no sensors on it. The problem is the MAF signal has to drop when the EGR opens, otherwise the ECU will go limp. You could do my MAF delete mod and maybe try my revised EGR mod at the same time.
https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/maf-delete-cdi-2.178561/

I also have several spare wrecked ML270s on hand, it really is the best way to maintain these cars if you have somewhere to store them. I always buy ones that are the same colour as my real one. They are great cars even by todays standards. My stash has already paid for itself with a single failed transmission. Even secondhand with no labour they are a very expensive part. So that one trans swap-over has paid for my total investment in wrecked MLs.

Last edited:
OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
feel an egr delete coming on!

just found this while trawling threads, answers my own question,

[/QUOTE]The ECU tells the EGR valve to open. Once the valve is open, the intake pressure should drop slightly dur to 30% recirc of air.

The ECU then monitors this drop and knows the EGR has opened.

If the ECU commands the EGR to open and the intake pressure does not drop, then there is a problem and it employs limp mode!

Posted this before I saw above post !!!!

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
That won't work. The EGR valve itself isn't the problem, there are no sensors on it. The problem is the MAF signal has to drop when the EGR opens, otherwise the ECU will go limp. You could do my MAF delete mod and maybe try my revised EGR mod at the same time.

I also have several spare wrecked ML270s on hand, it really is the best way to maintain these cars if you have somewhere to store them. I always buy ones that are the same colour as my real one. They are great cars even by todays standards. My stash has already paid for itself with a single failed transmission. Even secondhand with no labour they are a very expensive part. So that one trans swap-over has paid for my total investment in wrecked MLs.

Hi,
Thanks. Have thought about doing egr mod but even though there's not a lot I won't do on a car , playing around with ecu/wiring is bottom of my list, not great at electrics and have sausage fingers, If there is anyone not too far from margate in Kent with the know how, who is prepared to do it, I am quite happy to Barter !

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Several ML’s will fill my garden up buddy :oops:

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
wish i had enough room to keep a spare one, just one car would fill my back garden !!!!, and the chickens would not be happy, and following that the wife would kick me out !!!!
Perhaps you could offer parts as you strip it. May be worth taking the head off if all injector seats are good, never know when you might need one, also you could do a swirl flap delete on the intake manifold then just swap onto car.
Nice position to be in.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
wish i had enough room to keep a spare one, just one car would fill my back garden !!!!, and the chickens would not be happy, and following that the wife would kick me out !!!!
Perhaps you could offer parts as you strip it. May be worth taking the head off if all injector seats are good, never know when you might need one, also you could do a swirl flap delete on the intake manifold then just swap onto car.
Nice position to be in.
manifold and swirlflap delete definitely high on to do list, even easier on spare ml as don't have to worry about any problems,
Injectors being kept ,2 of mine had higher leak off so may swop them eventually, car running fine injector wise at moment
hoping turbo pipe is good ,as mine is knack---d, also my egr inlet pipe is worn and doesn't seal properly,my egr doesn't hold vacuum properly so will test spare. havn't had a good look yet, as was dark and raining when I got home, think it has hands free kit,6/7 seats and a couple of good tyres, going to have a good mooch tomorrow to start thinking about what to keep and what to flog off ,xmas has come early.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
manifold and swirlflap delete definitely high on to do list, even easier on spare ml as don't have to worry about any problems,
Injectors being kept ,2 of mine had higher leak off so may swop them eventually, car running fine injector wise at moment
hoping turbo pipe is good ,as mine is knack---d, also my egr inlet pipe is worn and doesn't seal properly,my egr doesn't hold vacuum properly so will test spare. havn't had a good look yet, as was dark and raining when I got home, think it has hands free kit,6/7 seats and a couple of good tyres, going to have a good mooch tomorrow to start thinking about what to keep and what to flog off ,xmas has come early.
20191212_141336.jpg

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
looks like it has some decent parts, wing mirrors are always worth keeping, and i remembered you said your drivers one was brownish, this will be the auto dip LCD failing.
Handy got same wheels, just unbolt and bolt back on.
well done mate.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Yes, doors, mirrors , seats and wheels would probably cover your purchase cost (or more) so well done!

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Funny thing is when i got mine it had a spare rear bumper panel in nice merc bag that goes over tow bar and i think this is damaged on spare car , so hopefully will have complete good rear bumper to sell, still havnt had a good look as lashing down with rain and sitting outside trailer hire shop waiting for someone to turn up ! 20191213_094730.jpg

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Thats the part fitted when tow bar fitted, the blank one should go on when tow bar not fitted.
( that does not sound right, but you know what i mean)

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Thats the part fitted when tow bar fitted, the blank one should go on when tow bar not fitted.
( that does not sound right, but you know what i mean)
I know what you mean , unfortunately i have both the same, will suit someone who has towbar fitted and needs replacement bumper.
The oil leak i had all over the n/s rad and pipes has dried up and stopped after my 400mile round trip to get spare, it must have been running down from badly fitting egr inlet pipe for ages, I did a temp bodge with cable ties which has cured it, funnily i looked at spate car egr pipe and it appears to have a slight gap on one side, the 2 little lugs in the alloy of the pipe fitting seem to wear and flatten. 20191213_132718.jpg 20191213_132718.jpg

Attachments

• 20191213_132706.jpg
    20191213_132706.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 4

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
I would be interested in buying the rims if your selling them.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom