Ml270 , 2003 , project

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I would be interested in buying the rims if your selling them.

Well I will pick the four least worn tyres(275/55/17) with whatever rims they are on for my car(don't care if rims not the best, will rub down /respray and laquer anybits that need doing later), I will then clean and take a picture of the other 4 that will be sold off so you can see condition, you can pm an offer if you want them , but oxford is a long way from margate, wasnt intending on posting parts ,collection only was going to be the route I was thinking of taking, just to avoid problems,, Open to any suggestions though .

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
The owner of the spare car had it from new , you can tell as I now have a first aid kit, warning triangle and owners manual, non of which came with my car. 20191213_125709.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The owner of the spare car had it from new , you can tell as I now have a first aid kit, warning triangle and owners manual, non of which came with my car. View attachment 54509
Probably close to getting your second ML for free if you’d had to buy those separately :p

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
got to ask, what sort of fishing do you do ?
Me, Match angler.
Its funny you should say that, the lakes and rivers around here are pretty good and The 'carpies ' when they see me always refer to me as a 'match' angler, I like catching carp as much as they do , but I prefer to use light tackle, float or freelining,and not a telegraph pole with a winch attached to it and £5000 worth of khaki equipment/alarms around me. I like to actually catch fish and not hang around for 5 days waiting for Big Bertha to come along and be tempted by 10kg of groundbait. Actually prefer rivers to lakes as I think theres a bit more skill in fishing them, and in the last couple of years Have been catching some great carp/chubb etc from rivers that probably havnt been caught before, so when not playing around with cars you find me doing a few hours down on the riverside.

Attachments

• nov phone 2019 009.jpg
    nov phone 2019 009.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 10
  • nov phone 2019 016.jpg
    nov phone 2019 016.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 10
  • nov phone 2019 034.jpg
    nov phone 2019 034.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 10
  • nov phone 2019 035.jpg
    nov phone 2019 035.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Its funny you should say that, the lakes and rivers around here are pretty good and The 'carpies ' when they see me always refer to me as a 'match' angler, I like catching carp as much as they do , but I prefer to use light tackle, float or freelining,and not a telegraph pole with a winch attached to it and £5000 worth of khaki equipment/alarms around me. I like to actually catch fish and not hang around for 5 days waiting for Big Bertha to come along and be tempted by 10kg of groundbait. Actually prefer rivers to lakes as I think theres a bit more skill in fishing them, and in the last couple of years Have been catching some great carp/chubb etc from rivers that probably havnt been caught before, so when not playing around with cars you find me doing a few hours down on the riverside.
Decided to have a better look at intermittent dip light /no light problem ,, took headlight right out and had good look at terminals, the dip light wires loop around to another light plug , this plug had obvious damage to pin and receptor , assuming from bad fit and arcing, cleaned it up and sprayed contact cleaner , put it back together and all good at moment , any further problems and will replace with spare car plugs

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
20191213_131343.jpg

Attachments

• 20191213_131343.jpg
    20191213_131343.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Vincentfishing.
Yep, I agree with fishing rivers, i love nothing more that fishing small ones, you never know whats going to turn up. I fish the pole or a tip these days, i enjoy my matches, but enjoy them more when they are silver fish only, carp do not count.
I grew up fishing the River Thames at Teddington, then i moved to Surrey, and concentrated on the River Mole. Now i live in Sussex, my local river is the Rother, it does fish well for Roach at times, but can be very hard, i won a match on it last year with 2 oz, four tiny roach.
Keep thread going on your project, i enjoy reading what you have been doing/fixing.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Well I will pick the four least worn tyres(275/55/17) with whatever rims they are on for my car(don't care if rims not the best, will rub down /respray and laquer anybits that need doing later), I will then clean and take a picture of the other 4 that will be sold off so you can see condition, you can pm an offer if you want them , but oxford is a long way from margate, wasnt intending on posting parts ,collection only was going to be the route I was thinking of taking, just to avoid problems,, Open to any suggestions though .
Turn it in to a "Popemobile" and sell it to Boris Johnson, I think he might need it :D
autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_ml_430_popemobile_1.jpg

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
oh it had to happen at some point

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Just finished on phone to chris knott insurance getting quote for my Ml, my insurance renewal quote was ridiculous so had trawled comparison sites and got lowest figure of about £375,far lower than current ins renewal quote(only have 4 yrs no claims as had a 4mph crash in snow in 2018 no damage to my car ) thought I would give the forum insurance a ring as a last resort , glad I did , immediately said they would match lowest quote and I ended up with better cover for very little more, pleasantly surprised and very helpful on telephone.
Moving on ,,,,
going out in the cold and wet to take off the spare ml wheels and sort out best 4 tyres for my car ,
Might have another go at getting front bumper off spare ml at least then I can squeeze it and me into small shed out of cold/wet to start minor repairs.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Did you try AA insurance. My ML with them and was £226. However I do have over the max NCB and I am an old git.
I prefer the look of those wheels to mine, but have to fork out for new tyres soon, been quoted £360 for four NEXENS fitted. Lot better than £575 to replace the Goodyear's I fitted two years ago which then cost £400 fitted.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Did you try AA insurance. My ML with them and was £226. However I do have over the max NCB and I am an old git.
I prefer the look of those wheels to mine, but have to fork out for new tyres soon, been quoted £360 for four NEXENS fitted. Lot better than £575 to replace the Goodyear's I fitted two years ago which then cost £400 fitted.
Thats why I selected the best four tyres off the 2 cars . now have 4 almost new tyres on mine which should last a while(hopefully) and yes the rims are a little bit different with the 2 bobbles between each spoke, not a lot of them on fleebay and they sell for £60 to 70 Each on so hoping to get £150 for the four, which I think is reasonabley good price for someone
As for the insurance , with my renewal i got a list of no claims value for each yr up to 9 years ( i hadnt claimed for 29 yrs) yet when you claim , they automatically deduct 2 yrs from your max discount of 5yrs !!! Leaving a paltrey 3 yrs !!

Last edited:
OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Decided to do a bit on spare car today, took off turbo inlèt pipe, orange sealing ring in pieces and pipe knackered around jubilee clip area at turbo , so wont be replacing mine with that ! 20191218_122429.jpg
Also had a look at egr and vacuum tested it , vacuum guage slowly drops with this one the same as it does with mine , so maybe designed to do this or both leaking????
20191218_121423.jpg
20191218_121258.jpg
Also took front bumper off spare , gave it a clean in preperation for repairing, but, the inner support frame has to be removed from the blue shell and it appears to be held on by 28 lugs that look like they have been melted into place at factory , if anyone has experience of removing and refitting plastic frame would be handy to know best way.
20191218_130019.jpg
20191218_130013.jpg
20191218_125202.jpg 20191218_125216.jpg 20191218_125208.jpg

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I think, but not sure, you cannot separate the bumper, as its made like that in the factory.
I have seen "fixes" where by people have worked through the holes in the bumper to install reinforcing behind the damage to support the repair made at the front.
This is what i would do using countersunk rivets to either alloy plate or plastic plate, grove out the crack and then fill it, of course the easy why out is take it to a body repair shop and have them do it, but would cost a bit.
The crack in the front, i think all ML's have this as seems to be a weak point, when i had my bumper off to repair the parking sensors, i bonded a plate under the crack to support it, it has not gone any further and can hardly be seen.
I suppose at the end of the day it depends what you want out of the repair.

OP
vincentfishing

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
not looking at a perfect job at all, just a reasonable looking front bumper, read somewhere that plumbers solvent weld works on plastic bumpers, might try it on existing rubbish bumper in a minute, If it does work could just reinforce behind cracks on spare bumper with bits of old bumper and solvent weld and glue cracks with solvent weld, will have to have another look at access holes to get to cracks,, Have my doubts it could be that simple though !!
My front passenger door has the only bit of bad rust ,on the lower rear corner, the spare passenger door has no rust (but will have to sort out electric window/mirror)
Is it just a straight swop , no complicated programming of locking mechanism or anything?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
if its the same electric mirror (type with indicator in) it should fit and work. I do not think the passenger side has a door lock (stand to be corrected) meaning a key access. If it does not, do not think the door solenoids would be a programmed thing, however, cant be that difficult to swap them over. You will have to do the door trim i suspect, or maybe not if identical to yours.
If you are painting the bumper with rattle cans, you could try plastic welding with a soldering iron ?, practise on old bumper first perhaps.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
just a thought, but is the air filter end of turbo pipe same diameter as Turbo end ?, if it is you could do a cut and shut job on it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
if its the same electric mirror (type with indicator in) it should fit and work. I do not think the passenger side has a door lock (stand to be corrected) meaning a key access. If it does not, do not think the door solenoids would be a programmed thing, however, cant be that difficult to swap them over. You will have to do the door trim i suspect, or maybe not if identical to yours.
If you are painting the bumper with rattle cans, you could try plastic welding with a soldering iron ?, practise on old bumper first perhaps.
I’ve successfully welded plastic with off-cuts and a soldering iron. Just lined up the crack, ground out the inside with a Dremel then uses the iron to heat the sides and melt the off-cut into the bevelled edge I’d made on the inside.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom