if you know a ford ranger owner please pass this on !

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I mate of mine owns a 16 plate ford ranger , Friday night his CAT & DPF were stolen complete , these parts are main dealer only and total cost to replace is an eye watering £3400 !!! So if you know anyone who owns the newest style Ford Ranger please warn them of the potential theft of these parts , ive already advised 3 owners that I happened to have come across today

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Not quite sure why - maybe they're easy to get off - but apparently cat theft is epidemic on early Honda Jazz. Killer on replacement is they usually rip off the wiring to two sensors so that has to be redone.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Depending on where you live this is a growing problem, there must be a simple way to deter these ar****es, some sort of cover plate perhaps ?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I guess it easy to relieve a pick-up of it's CAT due to the high ground clearance ?? So any pick up is exposed to this kind of crime :rolleyes::(

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Happening in my part of the world as well..battery powered angle grinder, and quick lift jack for low ground clearance vehicles, a few mins, and job done.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Unrelated really but my old Dad reckoned that when he was an apprentice (in the 50's) they got him to mix axle grease and red lead paint 50/50 and then trowel it across the tops of the walls of the yard, I always thought this was a brilliant way of ruining a Pikeys day (or night :D)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Be nice to hear about a jack failure , squashing said scum bag :D

That would be the ideal Wighty, but as another poster here has said " Some smart ass solicitor would probably find ground's to sue you on, if that happened..." :mad::mad::mad: On the other hand, the "Free World" is aghast and agog with what is happening in China, in terms of personal surveillance of the population...there is literally nothing that the authorities do not know about Chinese citizen's. Its George Orwell's nightmare vision ( and worse) come true, and for sure, I would not like to see it happening in this part of the world,,, but on the positive side,,,,they don't have any CAT/ DPF thieve's either.

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
That would be the ideal Wighty, but as another poster here has said " Some smart ass solicitor would probably find ground's to sue you on, if that happened..." :mad::mad::mad: On the other hand, the "Free World" is aghast and agog with what is happening in China, in terms of personal surveillance of the population...there is literally nothing that the authorities do not know about Chinese citizen's. Its George Orwell's nightmare vision ( and worse) come true, and for sure, I would not like to see it happening in this part of the world,,, but on the positive side,,,,they don't have any CAT/ DPF thieve's either.

Call me a hippy but I think a few CATS/DPFs and other stuff going missing is a price worth paying to not have an offical government "score" which is determined whether I can move in and out of the country freely and even if I end up detained or in "reeducation camp" indefnitely.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You do realise the UK has more surveillance than just about anywhere else in the world...?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Jack failure could never be blamed on the car owner.

o_O They’d have to try the manufacturer for product failure:D:D ...but they’d have to prove they bought it, and it was still under warranty, and being used as intended:cool:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
You do realise the UK has more surveillance than just about anywhere else in the world...?

I,ve certainly heard that many times, yet present video of a crime to the police and it always seem to be the same outcome, "not enough evidence" as experienced many times around our area :mad:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would not surprise me LK, that the UK have more camera's per sq mile in the Cities than anywhere else in the world...BUT they are legally restrained with data protection law's...If I put security camera's on my house / garage etc...I have to erect a visible warning sign that I have surveillance in place, and the camera's can't be focused on the public road outside. In other word's,... no passerby image's captured. Of course, once you enter the property, it's a different situation.
The Chinese are not suffering from the same constraints though.I saw a programme about Chinese surveillance ...showed hundred's of pedestrian's crossing a plaza..and each and everyone of them were captured with facial recognition technology. Computers scanned each image, and flagged any one who had any kind of a conviction recorded in the system .It also "Graded" each citizen according to how "good" a citizen they were. Frightening stuff.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Call me a hippy but I think a few CATS/DPFs and other stuff going missing is a price worth paying to not have an offical government "score" which is determined whether I can move in and out of the country freely and even if I end up detained or in "reeducation camp" indefnitely.

Of course, and neither would I, that goes without saying !!! I was just making the comparison about the definite shortage of cat stealers in China, and the amount of surveillance camera's there.
But If I were to come back to the vehicle, and find that thieves had stolen items which would cost £3'400 to replace, I'd be pretty annoyed too, and could be forgiven for thinking that maybe..the Chinese system had some positive point's... :):):)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom