Been given a 1984 190E, advice needed.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Nice looking pre sacco panel w201 in jrg.
When you do get the engine running pay attention to the feel of the steering. If it feels notchy in the slightest you will need to change the front lower ball joints.
They are press fit into the lower suspension arms.
This is a safety item on a w201 as when the lower ball joint fails the front suspension, aided by the force of the front spring, will collapse completely.You do not want that to happen whilst driving the car.
If you want to know the rust areas check around the jacking points in the sills (no covers on your pre facelift model) and around the large rubber bungs on the floorpan. Also if you open the boot and look under the rear parcel shelf area as this a major rust point that kills many w201's.
They are great cars though and really have a hewn from granite build quality to them which is sadly lacking in modern Mercedes.

OP
Coulsdon Eagle

Coulsdon Eagle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 310CDI
The story gets stranger. The son drives a Mercedes but doesn't do basic preservation on his late Dad's Mercedes.
he's got quite a few cars, including his dads Astra van, he keeps them spotless, but he's never been into the maintenance side, a shame really. i guess he kept it for sentimental reasons despite not having any need for it.

OP
Coulsdon Eagle

Coulsdon Eagle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 310CDI
Yes looks very clean, I do like the 190s. Look under the car for rust especialy the sub,frame, and under battery before spending money on it.
I will do, it's been standing for such a long time, it might well be uneconomic to get it going again.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The 190E Auto was my first MB. Mine was a 1990H and I loved that car. I had that car in 1993. It was pretty sluggish but a really well built car. I would love a nice one today.

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
The story gets stranger. The son drives a Mercedes but doesn't do basic preservation on his late Dad's Mercedes.

Why does that strike you as strange ?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Why does that strike you as strange ?

If you have any interest in cars, you don't like to see them deteriorate. Your Dad's car probably has some memories attached too. If the memories are unhappy ones, you might sell it on quickly so that you don't keep being reminded. If you have fond memories, you might hang on to it and drive it or pass it on to a family friend. For me, holding on to it for years unattended is strange.

My Dad died four years ago. His old Peugeot 206 is my daily driver. Someone dented it in a railway station car park recently. It's not worth anything but I'll be getting it repaired. My Dad wouldn't have liked it getting beaten up. When it's run its course, I'll scrap it and move on. But not yet awhile.

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have any interest in cars, you don't like to see them deteriorate. Your Dad's car probably has some memories attached too. If the memories are unhappy ones, you might sell it on quickly so that you don't keep being reminded. If you have fond memories, you might hang on to it and drive it or pass it on to a family friend. For me, holding on to it for years unattended is strange.

My Dad died four years ago. His old Peugeot 206 is my daily driver. Someone dented it in a railway station car park recently. It's not worth anything but I'll be getting it repaired. My Dad wouldn't have liked it getting beaten up. When it's run its course, I'll scrap it and move on. But not yet awhile.

Yep , but who says the guys son is interested in cars, Id say he clearly isnt.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Yep , but who says the guys son is interested in cars, Id say he clearly isnt.

The clues are found in OPs remarks:-

1. his son couldn't bear to get rid of it
2. it was cleaned and waxed on a regular basis, and was well waxed before being covered
3. the number plate has been transferred to his E55 AMG
4. he's got quite a few cars, including his dads Astra van, he keeps them spotless

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The clues are found in OPs remarks:-

1. his son couldn't bear to get rid of it. ( sentimentality Cos it was dads )
2. it was cleaned and waxed on a regular basis, and was well waxed before being covered ( by his Dad ? )
3. the number plate has been transferred to his E55 AMG. ( interested in being flash rather than interested in cars )
4. he's got quite a few cars, including his dads Astra van, he keeps them spotless
( likes his stuff to be shiny cos hes image conscious )

Just saying thats all.

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
Lots of people drive 'em, not many of 'em can fix 'em.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Lots of people drive 'em, not many of 'em can fix 'em.
Remind me of a scene in the film Mad Max where a garage has a sign outside it saying
"You bend em, We mend em"
Haha

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom