Finally at a cross roads...

SteveX

Reaction score
So it's done (sort of lol) I've listed my long term CLK55 cab for sale on the public internet!

Here's the add:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114040493492

No this isn't a for sale add, I can add one in the for sale section anyway, it's more a make my mind up thread...

If you aren't familiar with me you can see my motor in the add.

I bought a TVR this year, and have been working on that, it was another car I wanted to tick off of my bucket list, but she's my fifth car including the CLK.

Truth is, I put the CLK around the mother in laws, the MOT ran out in Dec, and although I haven't forgotten about her, I just don't know when I will use it. I have another daily, and two other cars excluding the TVR, the Griff will be my go to summer and nice day car, so I just don't know when I will use the CLK. Plus it's across town now, and if I keep it I will need to arrange long term storage which will probably be out of town.

We all know cars just sat festering degrade, the brakes seize, electronics give up, roofs go mouldy etc etc.

I am attached to her and don't want to sell, but, I can't see myself using it either, so hanging on to it for sentimental value seems a little silly.

Have you guys ever been in this position? Every time I go round the mother in laws I see the CLK sat there and think she looks so good, but I just don't have a use for it at the moment?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
If I hadn't already bought my SLK and the CLK would fit my garage, I'd make your mind up for you!
GLWTS.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
GLWTS Steve. You are doing the right thing selling if its not being used. Nothing worse watching a car deteriorate through lack of use.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Lovely car, someone will take it off your hands. You'll miss it when it's gone.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Lovely. Someone is going to get a bargain.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
You have an Audi on the way????????

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I haven't moved it for a couple of months, although I have rocked it back and forth and started, the discs are going rusty so it needs a good run to shave off the surface rust on the discs! I don't have under cover storage for it since I have moved it from my house, so it is sat outside, although does have a lose cover on it.

Re the Audi, I've got an S1 coming as a runaround / daily, comfy, nippy and cheap to run, haven't decided whether to sell my abarth yet as well, atm the Abarth is my daily so it will probably be sold as well TBH although I also like it as it's a fun little car, but we also have another newer one of these that the wife uses so will still have one to play with.

I did consider a CLA45 as a daily, but was unsure.

Happy new year.

Steve

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Still having second thoughts :p

have had some enquiries and offers around 8k.

i’m tempted to MOT it and use it as a daily toward spring, so thats another option.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

Now, that would be a crossroads. A truly exciting possibility.

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Yeh that is a beast and probably worth more than my cars combined...

The cars I normally buy have already taken the depreciation hit (other than the missus car which we bought new, but that was the first and last time, it’s only done 9k and in two years already lost over a quarter of its value).

Having multiple different types of older car allows different driving experiences for less money :)

That said, although the tvr and clk are both convertibles with larger engines, they are still two totally different experiences. Obviously with the TVR being the new toy though, the merc will get left out for the foreseeable. I want to do some classic car circuits and shows the next couple of years.

the abarth although its super fun, the suspension is too crashy on my one and it’s the older model with much less spec than the wifes. I’m travelling theee days a week now for work, and fancy something small, nippy and comfy with a good spec which is where the s1 came in over the abarth.

if there’s one thing I have learned though, it’s that i’ll always be a petrol head and want something different!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

That's a lot of car for the money, and will be even more car for the money in a couple of years when the depreciation curve has flattened out a bit.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
That's a lot of car for the money, and will be even more car for the money in a couple of years when the depreciation curve has flattened out a bit.

It has already halved in value in 2 years!!!!

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Ha yeh it will be a bargain in a few more years!

Popped over to give The clk a wax and clean the roof today, breaks were super squidgy, lots of surface rust. Luckily private road just off the side of the driveway so went up and down working the brakes and then they started to bite and abs kick in.

started first time in a month and fired up right away, sounded awesome :)

Made me think twice about selling.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Get thee behind me Satan, I've only just got my SLK280 back!!

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Our old CLK55AMG coupe was the same colour and interior! Only 2 exhaust outlets, though. Sold back in 2011.
IMG_2896 (2).jpg IMG_2889 (2).jpg

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom