Investigating a blown fuse/slow windows

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Today I put the window down fully to wipe clean the mirror and then it wouldn't go up. Swapped the switches at road side and that didn't work and as I couldn't find the fuse diagram I just checked all fuses and found the culprit and replaced and it now works.

Would anyone investigate anything further or is it just the case that fuses blow occasionally. My only thought is the windows in the colder damp climate here don't go up and down as freely as they do in warm sunny weather I'm used to so maybe that's what blew the fuse?

Is there a way to improve lubrication in the widnow mechanism that you can't see without messing around with the door cards? Could I for example liberally pour engine oil (I have some old stuff left over) between window rubbers with window down and hope some of it makes its way to the mechanism. I don't care about spilling it/any mess, I can clean it after and the door cards/paintwork aren't pretty anyway. I just want to ensure the window motors don't burn out/mechanism breaks and don't fancy taking the door cards off (my experience with this when I took them off last time on a Rover was they are impossible to get back in and all the clips break off, etc.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Perhaps it's down to rust / crud on the mechanism, but that's behind the door card.
I've seen the wire become tangled on the spiral wheel that takes the wire up.

Personally I would be researching a replacement mechanism, on the Vito it wasn't a scary cost (£55).
I did find that some sellers are showing the wrong type so confirming visually is good.

I had to wedge the window up on wood for a cuple of days while waiting for the new to arrive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40x-Gree...105935?hash=item59323f698f:g:EaYAAOSwW1JdTSvu

I would be surprised if pouring oil from the top would be the answer.

Last edited:
OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well the windows work, they just are a bit slow - they've been slower and it's both front windows, i only noticed as the fuse blew but it hasn't blown again. I'll regrease all the channels first but also while it's all messy would like to just try to grease the mechanism a bit as best as possible "bodging it".

If it's only 55 for a mechanism even more reason to just throw some oil down there and hope it works a bit better. I'll be back in Spain next week and then less damp/cold temps so should work better anyway. Nevertheless would like to be able to lubricate it as best as possible with the door card on.

I suppose putting the straw on the silicone spray into the door anbd spraying around and then a few drops of oil all along the window between the rubbers and then clean the window glass after is the best bet there is? I can't really see a downside - I've got to clean the whole car anyway as it has picked up road salt in UK so I'll be meticulously jet washing the whole of it when I get back as I don't want it to rust and there is no more road salt once I get to Spain and I have oil/silicone spray anyway

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Silicone spray into the window channel at the front and the rear with the glass fully down and then run window up and down a few times usually works for me.
Before doing that though get a rag on something like a screw driver blade and run it up and down the channels to get any dirt out as this is what often slows them up.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You could take the door cards off and fully clean / lubricate the window regulators

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the end I silicone sprayed everything I could see and also put the straw into the door from above. Windows go well and no fuses blown so I think it is fixed!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom