The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
I'm not sure I fully understand...

Is the sheared bolt stopping the dsic coming off, as in it's sheared with the disc already attached? And if so how is it also stopping the disc from mating with the surface? It was my understanding that the sheared bolt was not holding the disc on so was not really a problem as that bolt isn't needed anyway? But then I thought it was the caliper bracket that was stopping the disc being removed and my understanding is that has since been removed so the dsic should now come away...?

Besides if it is really 3mm then that could be your problem. It may not be enough to centre it but it maybe enough to make it stop catching?

Yes. The disc is now off. The sheared bolt was jutting out originally by about 3mm thus causing the disc to be effectively at a slight angle on the hub. I have yet to completely remove that broken bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Yes. The disc is now off. The sheared bolt was jutting out originally by about 3mm thus causing the disc to be effectively at a slight angle on the hub. I have yet to completely remove that broken bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if you now line it up so the hole is where the bolt is then it won't be protruding 3mm and will sit flush? If this is the case you can clean all the surfaces and put it back on without worrying about the bolt for now? And then see if it clears the carrier? And then reassemble and see if it clears the pads?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
From the pictures it does look like the sheared off bolt could make the disc stand off, but thought it would have wobbled a bit as only one side would be proud.
I would be a bit disappointed with whoever fitted them not to have either ground that off or drilled it out.
I suspect the other side will be the same.
Was a breaker bar the answer to getting the bolts out ?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I should mention that without the retaining screw, each time you take the wheel off the disc could move round.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Of course you could just measure the fitted Disc against the old ones that were removed..... Something that should be done anyway when fitting safety critical parts!

(I'm presuming that new Discs have recently been fitted going by what has been said - ad nauseum).

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
From the pictures it does look like the sheared off bolt could make the disc stand off, but thought it would have wobbled a bit as only one side would be proud.
I would be a bit disappointed with whoever fitted them not to have either ground that off or drilled it out.
I suspect the other side will be the same.
Was a breaker bar the answer to getting the bolts out ?

Um. Sort of. It wasn't a breaker bar as such. We found an extending wheel nut wrench in the back of the Passat. So i used a combination of that to 'crack' the bolts and her late husband's metal wrench to then continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Of course you could just measure the fitted Disc against the old ones that were removed..... Something that should be done anyway when fitting safety critical parts!

(I'm presuming that new Discs have recently been fitted going by what has been said - ad nauseum).

Um. There are no new discs. And hopefully I won't need any more for the rest of the time I keep her. As long as I correct what's happened with these discs.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I need to remeasure again. Just seen that my first measurements for a 12mm difference is way too rough. I will turn the disc over and remeasure again.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
So if you now line it up so the hole is where the bolt is then it won't be protruding 3mm and will sit flush? If this is the case you can clean all the surfaces and put it back on without worrying about the bolt for now? And then see if it clears the carrier? And then reassemble and see if it clears the pads?

Correct. However would it not be better to completely remove that bolt and replace it? And on the other wheel if that is the same?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I should mention that without the retaining screw, each time you take the wheel off the disc could move round.

Exactly. So surely removing that broken bolt and replacing it would be better in any case?!

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Exactly. So surely removing that broken bolt and replacing it would be better in any case?!

I would say better, but not a necessity at this time. Just as long as the hole in the Disc is aligned with the bit sticking out...

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
It looks like your disc is 288mm across the diameter. Hard to tell exactly from your pics.
That is, if this pic is actually a measurement across the max diameter of the disc.

index.php

If so, and the disc thickness is 25mm, then you have the correct rotor.
Unfortunately the pics are not very exact, but I don't reckon you have the wrong discs fitted.
At least, they look in serviceable condition, as do the pads.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
It looks like your disc is 288mm across the diameter. Hard to tell exactly from your pics.
That is, if this pic is actually a measurement across the max diameter of the disc.

index.php

If so, and the disc thickness is 25mm, then you have the correct rotor.
Unfortunately the pics are not very exact, but I don't reckon you have the wrong discs fitted.
At least, they look in serviceable condition, as do the pads.

Yes. Looks like I have 288mm diameter discs with a total height of just under 50mm. See new photos. IMG_8111.jpg IMG_8110.jpg IMG_8108.jpg IMG_8107.jpg Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Correct. However would it not be better to completely remove that bolt and replace it? And on the other wheel if that is the same?

Well yes and in an ideal world it would be better to replace pads while youre at it and buy new tyres and maybe even a new car...

But if it was my car in pieces without mot i wouldnt worry about that bolt or anything non safety critical. If you ignore the bolt you just have to remember to check the disc is aligned evetytime you remove the wheel.

Furthermore you still dont know what the problem is until you assemble it so you may spend 2 days removing the bolt to find it all binds anyway as there is yet another problem...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom