Adding Oil to Diesel Fuel

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Okay, that was very interesting reading. So in summary what can we use Legally to fuel say a 2005 C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine ? Could I save on my fuel costs if I changed my strategy/fuel from diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Short answer is No im afraid your engine is not compatible with alternative fuels. You would need an indirect injection diesel engined car, which i think the last of which in a Mercedes would have been an e class with an om606 (late 1990's)

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
majority pump diesel (cheapest supermarket stuff available)
a few litres here and there of motor oil as i have some to use up
veg oil when it's warm and i can be bothered/moreso when in UK/France where diesel is more expensive
as a one off i got 200L of watery diesel free from an unknown source which i left to settle and used the best 80% of

It's not about "old" or "new" MB though. Yours is a CDi mine is a Indirect injection and that makes mine much more flexible for different fuels
Here is a link to a uk forum which may be of interest to you...

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just for the OP or everyone in this thread?

Everyone of course mate, it is a really interesting forum. Enjoy.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Just for the OP or everyone in this thread?

Well you're more than welcome to read it but I'm not sure it's wise...

There's no such thing as a free lunch so using veg oil/any unknown fuel in any car has a risk; I had many people on here tell me not to use veg oil in even my OM603 in Spain which does 20k miles of long journeys a year, which many would argue is the best combination for veg oil (long journeys, hot weather, indirect injection, bullet proof engine). But I read up the pros and cons and realised that it would most likely to be fine and so far so good and I'm not too precious about the car in general as use it as a tool and could afford another one if it breaks.

Now you compare that to you: You have a high pressure diesel which makes it much more likely to destroy your engine, you are in a colder climate, you don't do many long journeys and you don't want to/can't just bin the car and buy another if it all goes wrong...all of these would suggest that trying biodiesel would be a bad idea. Of course there was one story of someone with your exact engine who managed 75k on free biodiesel with no modifications I think before it went bang but there are many who destroyed theirs pretty much immediately...

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older indirect injection diesel engines are completely different to common rail diesel engines. One is mechanically controlled and the latter is controlled by a computer. The computer knows only what pump diesel behaves like and putting anything else in it will basically confuse it...computer says no etc.

That is not to say that some people have not run a car like yours on it (specifically pump Biodiesel) but it really is not worth the potential problems.

You would be better off buying an older mercedes such as a c (w202) or e class ( late w124 om606, early w210) with "turbodiesel" written on the back of it (or a w124/ w201 diesel if you can find a good one) if you were determined to go this route.

Older indirect injection Mercedes engines are basically the holy grail of engines to use on veg oil without modification.

This link explains the difference in the two diesel engine types every well...

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/showthread.php?tid=2540

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Okay, that was very interesting reading. So in summary what can we use Legally to fuel say a 2005 C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine ? Could I save on my fuel costs if I changed my strategy/fuel from diesel?

I ran my 2005 CLK220CDi with about 200ml of 2 stroke to every tankful of diesel for years and never had any problems. Engine ran smoother and quieter.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
The diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil. Is that expensive these days?

Diesel's first prototype engine was built in Augsburg. On 10 August 1893, the first ignition took place, the fuel used was petrol.

Ref

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Diesel's first prototype engine was built in Augsburg. On 10 August 1893, the first ignition took place, the fuel used was petrol.

Ref
Yes, a troublesome prototype that had to be redesigned many times before it became the diesel engine we know today.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Older indirect injection diesel engines are completely different to common rail diesel engines. One is mechanically controlled and the latter is controlled by a computer. The computer knows only what pump diesel behaves like and putting anything else in it will basically confuse it...computer says no etc.

That is not to say that some people have not run a car like yours on it (specifically pump Biodiesel) but it really is not worth the potential problems.

You would be better off buying an older mercedes such as a c (w202) or e class ( late w124 om606, early w210) with "turbodiesel" written on the back of it (or a w124/ w201 diesel if you can find a good one) if you were determined to go this route.

Older indirect injection Mercedes engines are basically the holy grail of engines to use on veg oil without modification.

This link explains the difference in the two diesel engine types every well...

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/showthread.php?tid=2540

You know what?, I remember my old Philips electronics colleagues persuading me to move from my Vectra to a Mercedes-Benz W124 in 2004-2005 ish. Because the insurance was too high or something similar, I decided Not to move to Mercedes-Benz. Wish i had done in a way now.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You know what?, I remember my old Philips electronics colleagues persuading me to move from my Vectra to a Mercedes-Benz W124 in 2004-2005 ish. Because the insurance was too high or something similar, I decided Not to move to Mercedes-Benz. Wish i had done in a way now.
They were giving great advice (probably came from me (ex. Philips Telecom)) I moved from my Vectra with private fuel to an E320CDI W210 in 2002. Best move I ever made (car wise).

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
2 stroke lubes the cylinder heads so it makes runninv smoother. Its part of the addiditive package to an extent in premuim fuels

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
As is 2-EHN , buy both 2-EHN and JASO FB spec 2 Stroke oil which is a low ash mineral in 5L and dose accordingly handily with used 250ml Redex bottles and you have premium diesel but not at the price .

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I dont know about Mercedes engines but found out just last week talking to an VW owner, volkswagons PD engines and some older Audi A4s too as ive been told can run on Paraffin/heating oil with no long term effects as only one fairly sturdy pump in the tank. illegal of course :D

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Through time most oil additives to fuel end up causing sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
So that means my VAGs fuel tank is over 50% sludge .

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Hi All,

As I have an old diesel and do pretty much exclusively long journeys (50 miles +) and live in a warmer climate I was experimenting over summer with up to 40% sunflower oil mixed with diesel, particularly when out of Spain where the price difference is 60%. In general mpg was not affected and the car smoked less and ran smoother, something that apparently is normal so all good

Now it's winter, and especially given only 4 of 6 glow plugs work I have stopped using the veg oil and been putting pure diesel in. However, my father also has 15L of 15yr old 15W/50 oil which is too old (I presume) to use as actual engine oil which I collected from home so I've been adding 1L in with some tank fills when I can be bothered....I'm not sure if it's a placebo affect but instead of make it run worse as I thought it might it seems to make the car idle smoother and the car quieten down a bit, and hasn't made the car harder to start/smoke at all.

I've heard on here people putting 2 stroke oil in diesel and saying it makes it run better (I have no idea what 2 stroke oil is) but would normal motor oil have the same/similar affect?

By the way, no need for the "I'd only use pump diesel, it's a false economy, sounds like a fuss for not much gain" type comments, i just want to know the technical side of how it works, pros and cons as I find it all interesting. My use of veg oil, oil and 200L of free diesel I got given with some water in it has already saved me the value of the car and with zero problems so far. Besides, I hate wasting things so if they can be used to get the car a few extra miles then it is something I like to do even if the cost saving is negligible.

Why not join a more appropriate forum?

There are only a handful on here and there doing bio / wvo. So you'll likely get opinions, speculation and conjecture.

Thus filter out the 'signal to noise' (... plus the chips and batter bits).

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

There are only a handful on here and there doing bio / wvo. So you'll likely get opinions, speculation and conjecture.

There's always a lot of random "noise to signal" on here, that's what makes it fun. We learn a lot of stuff. Where else can you discuss Wetherspoons, Prince Harry and fuel additives in one place ?

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles

I suppose because I'm just casually chucking the odd bit of veg oil in the car from time to time to save a bit of money/get emissions down for MOT or recycling other stuff that it will burn...and I understand in a warm climate with long journeys and an OM603 it should be fine to do that without modification. If I was planning on collecting WVO large scale and using that as my only fuel then I would probably look into it in more detail.

I'm lucky in Valencia, I just filled up with normal diesel for €1,06, that's about 90p a litre...and my driving style gets 50mpg so until they start ramping up the diesel price there is little point in going fully into veg oil or trying to find WVO...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom