W164 Windscreen Washer Feeble

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Title says it all. Used to squirt right in the centre of the screen, but gradually over a few weeks has reduced to a trickle.

Anyone had experience of this, or even a fix? Level is fine and new washer fluid has been added.

i'm assuming there's some filter in the system somewhere that gets blocked.

It can't be the jets themselves as they're all squirting to the same height, unless by some strange cosmic event they all have exactly the same continuous reduction in orifice size, at exactly the same rate and time..

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hose pipe on the tank and blast out all and any crud in the tank. Then fill with clean water and work the washers until it runs clear.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
You may have blocked washer jets.

First instance get a needle and try clearing jets, ( or get some washer jet cleaning tools off the bay, they’re fairly cheap).

Take the washer tank out of the car and give it a good clean out.
When differing types of washer fluid are mixed, they can coagulate and turn a bit jelly like.

Check that as you operate them there aren’t big leaks at any joints under the bonnet.

Take pipe off back of washer jets, operate, if good flow your washer jets are blocked.
Try taking off jets off the car (they clip in place) and soak in descaling fluid or vinegar, agitate with ‘pricks’ to clear.

If still poor then replacement may be the only option.
Good s/h ones would be fine - if they are the heated type (elec connector on jet) they are about £80 eeek.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
It could well be a split pipe in the run somewhere (ask me how i know this) If you wash screen with engine off, does water cascade out somewhere ?, if so, could be a split pipe.
There is also the possibility that the non return valve has got blocked (if one fitted) and will be in the pipe run somewhere before first jet.
Failing that, washer pump could have gone weak, or as stated a blockage somewhere.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Washer pumps generally suck through a strainer of sorts built into the grommet they sit in. As above, Flyinspanner, is more than likely correct with sh1te in the bottle/system.

OP
K

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
All good suggestions, thanks.

when it stops raining, I'll get out there and have a look.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
All good suggestions, thanks.

when it stops raining, I'll get out there and have a look.

As above, if you take off the pipe from that washer and see if you still have a good pressure, then you will know if it is the nozzle or not. If it is the nozzle they can be a bitch to get clean and may need soaking in vinegar or such over night. The other thing is that a lot of people fill up the washer bottle from the tap using the kettle which of course can have lime in it which ends up in the nozzle.

Tom-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 CDI Sport - W164 2008
I had this problem, traced to a cracked junction on the washer jet hose meaning it couldn’t build pressure in the line.
Taped up for a temporary fix, will replace it with a used part soon.

Attachments

• 4781CEA8-FFFA-43B8-9367-D0F0BCEAED59.jpeg
    4781CEA8-FFFA-43B8-9367-D0F0BCEAED59.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 6

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom