C300 Hybrid not starting after collision

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
Recently purchased a 2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid from an auction.

It had a very minor accident to the car only cracking the front bumper (no airbags or crash sensors were deployed). However the car will not start up.
The battery in the boot was disconnected when I got the car, I connected it back up and I am getting an error 'Malfunction' with a red battery sign (Please see picture).
N23fjNC

The car lights up everything works as it should, the hybrid battery still has 44% remaining, but the engine is just refusing to start up.

Could it be that the battery in the boot is too low and has given up?

Any help will be much appreciated.

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
After an accident it will need to go onto online STAR to be given the all clear to start.
When it was at auction, it was confirmed to start up and had pictures of the car running in idle.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Gearbox may have been dislodged in the collision, the hybrid motor is attached to the gearbox , if the gearbox is inop then the car/ hybrid won’t engage or start...it’s me theory anyway

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
Gearbox may have been dislodged in the collision, the hybrid motor is attached to the gearbox , if the gearbox is inop then the car/ hybrid won’t engage or start...it’s me theory anyway
It engages into neutral fine?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Did you see it running personally, if not then that could have been a picture from another car, wouldn’t be the first time an auction “mistakenly” included a picture it shouldn’t have.
As before I think your car will have to be placed in and online STAR to be given permission to start, likely a failsafe for the hybrid system but really STAR is going to be your only option here.

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
Did you see it running personally, if not then that could have been a picture from another car, wouldn’t be the first time an auction “mistakenly” included a picture it shouldn’t have.
As before I think your car will have to be placed in and online STAR to be given permission to start, likely a failsafe for the hybrid system but really STAR is going to be your only option here.
I will give online STAR a try and will update the outcome.
Thanks alot :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Going back to your boot (consumer- stop/start battery), have you checked its voltage? If it’s the original from 2015 it’s probably goosed. Worth replacing to begin as you’ll have to anyway . Might be a simple fix (I’m a bit doubtful though)

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
Going back to your boot (consumer- stop/start battery), have you checked its voltage? If it’s the original from 2015 it’s probably goosed. Worth replacing to begin as you’ll have to anyway . Might be a simple fix (I’m a bit doubtful though)
I've got somebody coming tonight with a booster, failing that will get a new battery. Last resort is using online STAR.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Be very careful with "Boosters/Jump starters" check the operating voltages of the various device settings will not apply any voltages to your car exceeding 14.8v!! Applied voltages in excess of 15v will start to fry your car's sensitive electronic components.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I would recomend getting it to an indy to diagonse a no start condition, rather than trying to find "online star" services if that makes sense?

It wont be a case of plug in and press "enable", it will require some amount of diag. I echo the others though, check the boot battery is not flat and take if from there.

Does the car move under hybrid power at all? If not, then it may be missing start auth for one reason or another (maybe crash interlock, maybe a fault)

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
I would recomend getting it to an indy to diagonse a no start condition, rather than trying to find "online star" services if that makes sense?

It wont be a case of plug in and press "enable", it will require some amount of diag. I echo the others though, check the boot battery is not flat and take if from there.

Does the car move under hybrid power at all? If not, then it may be missing start auth for one reason or another (maybe crash interlock, maybe a fault)
It doesn't start at all, when I do try to start the car a red warning pops up telling me theres a malfunction with the battery. Then another warning sign appears in yellow with a battery sign 'please start vehicle'.

The boot battery was disconnected for 2 months I should say, as it was written off in November last year and I only got it couple of days ago.

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
This may help, bear in mind this is on a left hand drive so the fuse box will be on the drivers side.
http://rk.mb-qr.com/en/205.21/
Thank you very much bud, it turned out to be
'High-voltage disconnect device'.
The engineers put a cable tie around the plug so it does not clip back in. Took the cable tie off and pushed the plug in and car started first time.

If it wasn't for that link you provided I don't think I ever would've found out the problem.

Also thanks to everybody else for their help & advice.

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
I also have the C300 Hybrid in 2017 guise, I love it even though the hybrid bit doesn't do much.

OP
J

JohnnyBoy1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C300 Diesel Hybrid
I also have the C300 Hybrid in 2017 guise, I love it even though the hybrid bit doesn't do much.
That's good to hear, wasn't too fussed whether it was hybrid or not, just picked up a good deal.
Don't know anything about these engine yet as it's my first Mercede. Previously owned Audi/VW.

RDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class, Nov 2014, E300 Hybrid
@Mike Smith
That is a great link you have provided (30th Jan 2020) showing the C300 systems.
Do you have a link for the E300. Mine is a 64 plate.
Thanks

Top Bottom