Tyre change = lower mpg?

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
I just wondering if anybody else has experienced a similar effect / problem.
I changed all 4 tyres on my Glc 220d, from Vredstein to Michelin cross climate all season after 40,100 miles
three weeks ago & I have noticed a significant drop in mpg on short and long runs.
( its dropped approx 6mpg around the doors & 11mpg on a long run)
I did check reviews of this tyre on trust pilot before purchasing & most were 5* for better handling & only a minimal difference in mpg.
However I don't class 6-11mpg minimal.
My tyre pressures are correct & driving style has not changed & car is not due for a service for another 1800 miles so this cannot be the cause?.
I always thought that Michelin were a premium brand?
My concerns are I have read several reviews on forums stating that on the next scheduled service an MB software update for emissions will be done and people are posting they are finding a 10- 15% drop in mpg afterwards
So after spending 1k on new rubber I cant afford to change tyres & will be bankrupt / divorced if the mpg continues to drop.
Thanks for reading but I would appreciate it if anybody had any thoughts on this.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I used to notice a drop switching from summers to winters on my W213 so it’s very possible that the new tyres are having a negative effect.

It’s also been colder recently so the car will take longer to get to temperature so will use more fuel.

You could try upping the tyre pressures as that generally improves economy

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
I used to notice a drop switching from summers to winters on my W213 so it’s very possible that the new tyres are having a negative effect.

It’s also been colder recently so the car will take longer to get to temperature so will use more fuel.

Thanks for the advice . I will give it a try upping the pressures as running at recommend 2.2 bar / 32psi at the moment

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200d/2015/2.2
Just wondering if there is say 6mm of new tread greater than the old then that would be a 12mm greater diameter of the new tyre. Therefore the odometer will read proportionally less mileage, if anyone is good at maths perhaps they could calculate if this could be significant?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just wondering if there is say 6mm of new tread greater than the old then that would be a 12mm greater diameter of the new tyre. Therefore the odometer will read proportionally less mileage, if anyone is good at maths perhaps they could calculate if this could be significant?
Like your thinking buddy :D

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Ever wondered why there is a fuel consumption sticker on new tyres

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I change from summer 18" to winter 17" each autumn, consumption improves by about 2 mpg initially.

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
Ever wondered why there is a fuel consumption sticker on new tyres
Yes I saw the grading prior to purchase hence I checked out reviews on trust pilot & the overall opinion was there was no significant decrease to mpg.
Maybe next time I wont be so dependant on the trust pilots reviews?
Thanks for input

Last edited:
OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi

** Blobcat. update .. I have tried upping pressure slightly & it has had made a big difference to mpg straight away.
Thanks again for suggestion

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
In Finnish tyre tests they measure rolling resistance, difference between tyres can be up to 5%. Then if size of the tyre changes, effect could be even greater (my own experience, over 10%)

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
In Finnish tyre tests they measure rolling resistance, difference between tyres can be up to 5%. Then if size of the tyre changes, effect could be even greater (my own experience, over 10%)

Thanks for the input

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
Mine dropped about 4-5 mpg on the trip computer since moving to cross climate

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
Mine dropped about 4-5 mpg on the trip computer since moving to cross climate

Thanks for the input ... think I will need to do more checks before buying Michelin tyres again.. as the decrease in mpg does make a big difference over 12 months

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for the input ... think I will need to do more checks before buying Michelin tyres again.. as the decrease in mpg does make a big difference over 12 months
Any low rolling resistance tyres will make a difference

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I think the manufacturers self report the ratings? I noticed quite a large drop after changing my rear tyres, 245/40 18 I think, quite wide. I used budget tyres as I don't exceed 70 mph, and seemed to loose 4 mpg when cruising on the M way. I think they can make a surprising difference.

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
Thanks for the input .. I am running on 255/45/20

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Watch out for the wear pattern if the pressures are increased, you could find yourself needing new tyres sooner than you think and that's going to cost more than the difference of a few MPG's.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Colder weather, which will affect engine efficiency as well as tyre suppleness, slightly larger diameter of new tyre, initial material stiffness - a plethora of small differences can add up.

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
Watch out for the wear pattern if the pressures are increased, you could find yourself needing new tyres sooner than you think and that's going to cost more than the difference of a few MPG's.

Cheers ... was only going to run a slightly higher pressure for a while .. just until weather / temperature picks up & then revert back to MB recommended pressures of 2.2 bar & then see how it goes from there

OP
dave dean

dave dean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cla200 amg sport cdi
Colder weather, which will affect engine efficiency as well as tyre suppleness, slightly larger diameter of new tyre, initial material stiffness - a plethora of small differences can add up.

Thanks for input.
The 20inch rims & 255/45 tyres were already fitted when purchased as a demonstrator. I think the standard rims are normally 19inch

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom