Thoughts on banning Petrol, diesel & hybrid vehicles by 2035

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Just worked out on my average mileage of 5K per year, in 2035 my E coupe will only have 190K miles on it :)
At 25 years old not to bad, hopefully still be running. :D

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
It all seems a bit fishy to me.

Over the last few years in the uk we have been bombarded with these climate prophets like Extinction Rebellion, Greta Thunberg and now David Attenborough.

There collective message is radical in nature. WE are harming the planet and soon it will be too late. We are all doomed if we do not act now.

Not long ago they would have been branded nutcases.

Instead these "Rebels" are embraced and promoted by those in power.

Now that is strange, very strange. I smell a rat.

Now the nutcases are those like Trump who are unable to understand simple scientific data.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Just waiting to see somebody come up with a replacement for the road trains we use in the Outback - 100 tonne load, 1500km range and refuel (diesel and driver) in 30 minutes!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wonder what will happen to Hybrid car prices now the government have basically labelled them all crap
They haven't though.
You'll still be able to drive them. Just won't be able to buy them.
15 years is a long time away still and frankly most hybrids out now won't be on the roads anyway.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
As long as it's not retrospective does it really matter, I'd imagine that most stuff sold would be electric then anyway, and it will be developed to be better than ICE for 99% of users.

I know there's the odd person with a V8/AMG and some old classics but the vast majority of forum users are driving around in 220/250/320/350CDis. Nothing wrong with that but not exactly characterful beautiful sounding engines are they. I mean will anyone really miss the clatter of them idling at traffic lights when the electric replacement is silent, faster and more refined.

I'm generally against new tech and throwing stuff away, so I'm totally against bans on existing cars in cities, but if new cars have to be electric but the ICE made before then are allowed to drive freely until the end of their useful life, which is what it sounds like, I don't really see it as any great loss for 99% of cars made today which have absolutely nothing special whatsoever about the powertrain.

Those thinking there is no capacity etc would no doubt have said there were not enough fuel stations when the Model T came out. Wind/solar power in the last 20 years has gone from nothing to generating 28% of UK power. OK, they have negated that gain by not replacing coal but if they added another 28% over the next 15 years (and due to technology gains they could add a lot more for the same cost) then there's more than enough for electric vehicles. And as for charging spaces, imagine if half the petrol stations were converted to fast charging bays, it would be exactly like it is with fuel now; too much choice not too little, and there would be more competition/availability because the size/capital/infrastructure/regulations required to make a charging bay are much lower than making petrol stations. I can't say I'll miss ugly petrol forecourts either...

To be honest it sounds like progress. I'd certainly be happier replacing my 300D with an electric vehicle that actually is a better technology than a supposed "advanced" diesel with a million filters and turbos and other ancilaries that claims to do 70mpg in a test but in the real world will do about the same/less mpg as my 33yr old 300D.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And as for charging spaces, imagine if half the petrol stations were converted to fast charging bays, it would be exactly like it is with fuel now; too much choice not too little, and there would be more competition/availability because the size/capital/infrastructure/regulations required to make a charging bay are much lower than making petrol stations. I can't say I'll miss ugly petrol forecourts either...
There's also the possibility of equipping parking bays with charge points or inductive charging loops thus reducing the need for fuel stations. Being able to recharge at home will also take away some requirement for fuel stations. It's conceivable that fuel stations may well disappear as the ability to recharge can be decentralised.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
To be honest it sounds like progress. I'd certainly be happier replacing my 300D with an electric vehicle that actually is a better technology than a supposed "advanced" diesel with a million filters and turbos and other ancilaries that claims to do 70mpg in a test but in the real world will do about the same/less mpg as my 33yr old 300D.

I might be one of the few but I think I would prefer to refit an older Merc with electric when it becomes feasible.

This is the one area that I think would have the biggest impact globally e.g. retrofitting kits for developing countries.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
There's also the possibility of equipping parking bays with charge points or inductive charging loops thus reducing the need for fuel stations. Being able to recharge at home will also take away some requirement for fuel stations. It's conceivable that fuel stations may well disappear as the ability to recharge can be decentralised.
The thought of the average road worker with a JCB and induction loops - this could get quite spectacular, maybe a new spectator sport!!

Still the big issue is the infrastructure to deliver the required current, most of the current local electricity infrastructure will need replacing and nobody is really talking about the cost of doing that. As costly as hydrogen is to produce I can see that the total cost may be less than trying to get everyone into electric vehicles and it would maintain the defunct petrodollar businesses as they have the sites and the delivery infrastructure.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
What gets up my nose on all of this is that it's yet again the ordinary motorist that's in the firing line, with no mention of HGV's, busses, coaches, delivery trucks and vans, diesel trains - when are all towns and cities going to insist on all busses being electric or hydrogen powered? That to me would make a massive improvement in town air quality! HGV's, especially foreign registered ones on the M20/25 etc - imagine the impact on freight movement if they all have to be electric in 15 years time, and all foreign registered HGV's have the same restriction if they want to use our roads.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd say it also depends as to why it is being done. If it's for CO2 reasons then great, as long as dust to dust cost is proven to be significantly better. If however it's for emissions in cities then that is the wrong approach.

With things like e-bikes and e scooters most car journeys in city centres will be completey unessesary, and city life would be vastkly better for very few cars not just for emissions but because they are just annoying in general and cities are so pleasant without all the road infrastructure and parking. Having lived in two cities (valencia and Barcelona) and vistied many others where car use is impractical for the city centre and everyone gets round by other means the quality of life is just so great.

Just to clarify I said "most car journeys" before everyone pipes up with the 1% cases of "how do I get my wardrobe to my city apartment if I can't drive/what about disabled people, etc".

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
We have all been too successful at procreating! Nature will have the last say, what is to stop a global epidemic, maybe we are in the early stages of one at the moment, who knows, that would cut down the use of cars, trucks ,trains, ships and aeroplanes!

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I just cannot see it happening within that time frame. Don't forget, politicians say lots of things. Especially as they know they will be long gone by that time! And really it is all quite pointless unless you get the US, Russia, China and India to go along - not to mention all those arab countries that are solely dependant on Oil Production!

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned environmentalist organisations should be considered terrorist organisation and be treated as such! :coffee:

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I'd say it also depends as to why it is being done. If it's for CO2 reasons then great, as long as dust to dust cost is proven to be significantly better. If however it's for emissions in cities then that is the wrong approach.

With things like e-bikes and e scooters most car journeys in city centres will be completey unessesary, and city life would be vastkly better for very few cars not just for emissions but because they are just annoying in general and cities are so pleasant without all the road infrastructure and parking. Having lived in two cities (valencia and Barcelona) and vistied many others where car use is impractical for the city centre and everyone gets round by other means the quality of life is just so great.

Just to clarify I said "most car journeys" before everyone pipes up with the 1% cases of "how do I get my wardrobe to my city apartment if I can't drive/what about disabled people, etc".

So I gather you don't have a Diesel or Petrol car...... I mean, every little helps!

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
[QUOTE="Chrishazle, post: 1789513, member: 34406" no mention of HGV's, busses, coaches, delivery trucks and vans, diesel trains - when are all towns and cities going to insist on all busses being electric or hydrogen powered? That to me would make a massive improvement in town air quality! HGV's, especially foreign registered ones on the M20/25 etc - imagine the impact on freight movement if they all have to be electric in 15 years time, and all foreign registered HGV's have the same restriction if they want to use our roads.[/QUOTE]

London now has a growing fleet of clean buses & taxis. Other cities already have plans of that sort. The big stuff could be taxed off the road and forced onto the rail network. Lots of infrastructure work to achieve that, but it seems obvious.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I gather you don't have a Diesel or Petrol car...... I mean, every little helps!

I have a (rather old) diesel car and live on the edge of the city 1km from the main route in BUT in 3 years here I've driven it in the city twice, once because it was heavy rain and once because I had to pick up some furniture. Every other journey walking biking or metro is quicker and more pleasant/healthier. I also no longer use it to go city to city now we have trains that do 300km/h there is no point! If there is no train to any other city I enter on the outskirts park for free and walk/get public transport into the city centre.

I'm not going to give up a car for going outside the city into the mountains/countryside etc, and I think an old diesel that does 50mpg is good from an environment/CO2 point of view. It won't bother me if it's replacement has to be electric though subject to it actually being more environmentally friendly and not just a ploy to sell more stuff.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... and having said that Tesla would consolidate its gains, I am also convinced that Tesla is riding the 'dot-com' effect.
Remember when anything with 'dot-com' at the end of its title was automatically worth buying because it could only go up?

Tesla's riding the same wave. Its stock is rocketing right now, causing all sorts of financial headaches for investors who've been caught with their pants down, but it will bomb when reality hits.

Elon better bank his winnings while he can.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom