Check before using after market Brake Kit bolts.

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I have just changed my brake shoes on a R171 SLK. On fitting back the hub, I went to put in the bolt supplied with them and found that it would not easilly go in so I took it out and went to Mercedes and bought 2 new ones. The new ones just went in as they should and on looking at the 2 diiferent bolts together, I could see that they had different threads. I did consider that the bolt would not go back in because of dirty thread and to carry on, but glad I didn't.
I just thought that this might be useful.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Out of interest, what make were they?

I'm not sure if it is what I'm thinking it is e.g. the grub screw that holds the disc in place but if so it isn't so important as the five wheel bolts keep it in place.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Out of interest, what make were they?

I'm not sure if it is what I'm thinking it is e.g. the grub screw that holds the disc in place but if so it isn't so important as the five wheel bolts keep it in place.

Yes the grub screw, but quite important when you are trying to get it out again next time to change the shoes and it won't come out. The shoes were TRW.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yes the grub screw, but quite important when you are trying to get it out again next time to change the shoes and it won't come out. The shoes were TRW.
I think he meant the grub screw is not important. It can be left out...the wheel bolts will hold the disc on.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

For the sake of clarity - are you talking about the parking brake shoes on the rear or standard brake pads?

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I think he meant the grub screw is not important. It can be left out...the wheel bolts will hold the disc on.

Yes I am aware of that. a bit of a pain though if it moves every time you remove a wheel.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
For the sake of clarity - are you talking about the parking brake shoes on the rear or standard brake pads?

It does say shoes. I wouldn't need to remove the disc to replace the pads.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom