I just got roasted for insurance..big time.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I am afraid that is not an easy question for a resident in the UK as most of us are. Different insurers will look at you in different ways depending on your status. I would suggest you look at a comparison site to give you the answer you are looking for :)

DariusE400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
This is a just a rant and a kind of hail mary of sorts to see if there is anything I missed.

Ok, so let's get the painful out of there first: I just paid £1899.33 for a Hastings Essential policy. Absolutely mental and I paid it begrudgingly. I had gotten a better quote over the weekend, but after twiddling the system with different values I obviously triggered something and the quote went high and couldn't reduce it again (Using legit, true information)..

So, I guess it was inevitable.. here's my background.

* Stopped driving my last car - MK V Golf GTI (2.0 T, 200BHP) with policy stopped June 2016, putting me outside two years for NCB
* My car is a S212 E350 CGI engine putting out 292 BHP
* TS20 "conviction" from 2015.
* Full Irish licence (issued September 2007)

I guess the odds were really stacked against me. Next year I will have 1 yr NCB and no "conviction".

I'm just peeved as I know I am good driver and have been driving since about 12 years now and even recently in my parents cars in the 2 year gap period. My last premium for the GTI Golf was £900. Victim of circumstance but it's painful to say the least.

Have you ever been stung when been "away from the wheel" for a while?

Please tell me i'm not the only one :/
always use someone elses reg no
and different name
use a nearby road
and only when you find the best desl then open up a separate account snd fill in details , they know you are desperate otherwise

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
always use someone elses reg no
and different name
use a nearby road
and only when you find the best desl then open up a separate account snd fill in details , they know you are desperate otherwise

Hmm, yes, I am inclined to believe that is the case now.. have noticed that when you start shopping around and trying things out.. the prices ultimately creep up and don't come back down.

DariusE400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400
Hmm, yes, I am inclined to believe that is the case now.. have noticed that when you start shopping around and trying things out.. the prices ultimately creep up and don't come back down.
i had the same issue , but my friend told me about the above mentioned and it works , alot of the insurance companies are not the underwriter they are just the middle man so the data will be shared amongs several insurers, any way you live you learn.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
A little trick I learn't from someone in insurance is that when you get your renewal quote ring them straight away with the line 'Got your renewal quote, was about to start shopping around and wanted to give you the opportunity to see if you could improve your quote first'. Been doing this the last two years and on both our insurances I got it for less than the previous year so now less that I was paying 3 years ago. If you leave it until the last minute your are a risk taker and penalised accordingly, so no discount.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
A little trick I learn't from someone in insurance is that when you get your renewal quote ring them straight away with the line 'Got your renewal quote, was about to start shopping around and wanted to give you the opportunity to see if you could improve your quote first'. Been doing this the last two years and on both our insurances I got it for less than the previous year so now less that I was paying 3 years ago. If you leave it until the last minute your are a risk taker and penalised accordingly, so no discount.

Yes we do that, it is good advice. We got 25% off our Admiral multicar last year by doing just that. Also query every little detail , you will find you are paying for loads of stuff you don't want.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I've just come across this thread and it's too long to read but...did you try a broker?

If not, maybe you should have.

I tried to insure a Renault Scenic as a second full time car. It was expensive through the comparison sites because of the 0 NCD. But the broker was able to cut the premium in half by giving an allowance for the fact of having full NCD on another car.

Use the comparison sites as an indicator...then ring a broker or go directly to an insurer.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Note:

On this forum we like to moan about car insurance and thus shop around to get a cheaper premium, usually successfully.

Good...for every one of us prepared to do that there are many others who are not, the lazy ones, who accept what they are given.

If this was legislated against be sure of this...we would pay more for insurance not less...the lazy ones are subsidising the rest of us. So, keep moaning but...don't go too far!

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just come across this thread and it's too long to read but...did you try a broker?

If not, maybe you should have.

I tried to insure a Renault Scenic as a second full time car. It was expensive through the comparison sites because of the 0 NCD. But the broker was able to cut the premium in half by giving an allowance for the fact of having full NCD on another car.

Use the comparison sites as an indicator...then ring a broker or go directly to an insurer.

I did try a broker.. I literally called around about 80% of the recommended brokers.. on this site and others. Along with the comparison sites.

The response was either no quote (excessively high) or something that just couldn't compete with my Admiral quote, so I just let that auto renew.

Thankfully I was able to get my Clio done for £200... about time somebody recognised the limited use.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Note:

On this forum we like to moan about car insurance and thus shop around to get a cheaper premium, usually successfully.

Good...for every one of us prepared to do that there are many others who are not, the lazy ones, who accept what they are given.

If this was legislated against be sure of this...we would pay more for insurance not less...the lazy ones are subsidising the rest of us. So, keep moaning but...don't go too far!
For God’s sake shut this thread down before any more people get cheaper quotes and my premium goes up ! :rolleyes: :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
@Wighty I wondered who was paying for my discount - thanks:D
It ain’t me buddy I’m all over it every year . I hit the comparison sites 30 days before the insurance is due (before I’ve even got the renewal through ) :D .
I have written down your above statement post though , I’ll attach it to my Insurance Folder :)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My renewal from LV for the GLC came through recently at £384, up from £348 last year. This afternoon, I did some quotes online with some of the usual suspects and the LV price is better than Saga, Direct Line, M&S etc. Tried Money Supermarket and they came up with a few cheaper ones that I had never heard of but they had LV at £365. So, I took the advice that @Larkone posted above and phoned LV "what's the best you can do?" and they came back with £365 so I'm staying with them at that price. The £19 I have saved won't change my life but at least I got a small victory over the bu99ers!

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Had a need to check what 3 points on my licence would have meant (thought I'd got one 'coming in the post') and it made no difference at all using an online comparator quote. Put in a second one, so 6 points, and it added something like £90 IIRC, on an original quote of around £400.

My 'gripe' is your points are 'live' for three years but you have to declare for five years on insurance.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 'gripe' is your points are 'live' for three years but you have to declare for five years on insurance.

Major gripe of mine. Should be the same way they handle "spent convictions" in the traditional sense. I mean after 3 years, the Govt. sees them as spent, but not that money grabbing wh***s that are insurance companies.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Major gripe of mine. Should be the same way they handle "spent convictions" in the traditional sense. I mean after 3 years, the Govt. sees them as spent, but not that money grabbing wh***s that are insurance companies.
Conor, if you think that it's bad in the UK...just wait until you get back to Ireland..........business's closing down weekly ( even before Covid-19) and all due to insurance costs. Costs for 1st time learner / newly qualified, and even for drivers with a few years post test, can run into Thousand's.....so for the first car, budget €10'000,,,,€6'000 for the car, €4'000 for insurance.....then they are complaining about the Nr of uninsured drivers on the road's....:mad:, But the shareholders are happy.....

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Conor, if you think that it's bad in the UK...just wait until you get back to Ireland..........business's closing down weekly ( even before Covid-19) and all due to insurance costs. Costs for 1st time learner / newly qualified, and even for drivers with a few years post test, can run into Thousand's.....so for the first car, budget €10'000,,,,€6'000 for the car, €4'000 for insurance.....then they are complaining about the Nr of uninsured drivers on the road's....:mad:, But the shareholders are happy.....

Oh I know......don't get me started. Insurance in Ireland is an absolute mess. I believe there is a competition investigation going at EU level for motor insurance. While I have followed the motoring scene mainly, I believe business insurance is also gone through the roof, like you say. It's a real shame. The place is generally a mess if you ask me.

The main reasons I can't ever see myself returning to Ireland are:

* High income tax
* Rent is a huge % of take home pay
* Motor tax and insurance.
* Dublin is realistically the only place with a liquid job market for me and in real terms is more expensive than London - I sh1t you not.

The tax on older big engined cars is insane and I think that the government are penny wise and pound foolish there. There would be a decent economy to build on the back of restoring and keeping these cars running (as second cars even) for enthusiasts.

I think the source of all the motoring woes in Ireland is due to SIMI and their lobbying of government. Everything is designed to sell more new cars. The new NOx charge that came in at the start of this year is a joke also.

Boils my blood.

EDIT: To give you an example of how bad things have gotten. In March 2013, I got a fully comp policy on a 6 year old MK V Golf GTI for €750 with just a few years named driver experience. These days you'd be laughed off an insurers phone line for requesting such a quote. I don't think you could get that price for any car these days.

I think they complain about the number of uninsured drivers on the road as a way to justify premiums. If uninsured drivers are such a nuisance, then the govt./police are complicit - they should be using their ANPR cars to detect and disqualify those drivers and checkpoints etc. Heck, if I don't insure my car here in the UK, I get a letter to say I need to insure it or face a fine. It's all a big racket..

They are also changing the TV licence fee to an internet tax soon, too.

Jesus, the more I think about it, it's nearly criminal.

Last edited:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Government need to clamp down on the compo claims in the south first Conor as this is helping insurers rob the general public. thought it was scandalous to see insurance companies double or triple insurance premiums for creches as one example forcing a lot to not reopen come sept.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
According to figures given by the Central Bank, the Nr and costs of insurance claims has been reducing since 2017, while the premium costs have gone through the roof. The insurance Company's (mafia ) have been using the cost of claims to justify the rising cost's of premiums. Pearse Doherty challenged them in the Govt on this based on the central figure's and they were caught with their collective pants down around their ankles. He also brought a bill through all stages in the Dail which would stop a lot of the monkey business that going on with them, give better protection for consumers. It was agreed and signed off on each stage, in both houses of Govt, and needed only Leo Varadkar's signature. He refused on the grounds that the insurance companies would leave. The whole thing from top to bottom needs reform...its completely rotten to the core. I got a 2nd car back in 2015. Insurance that year cost me €350. Fine, was about the same as the other car we have. Fast forward to 2016. Renewal bill came in..€1175.....after checking that I had read it correctly, I called the broker to rectify the "Mistake". It not a mistake I was told, So I asked them then for an explanation. Its because you have only 1 years no claim bonus with this car I was told. So I asked what about the 30+ years of no claims years that I had ? Does not matter, I was told,,,for this car you have only 1 year. Legalised gouging and profiteering is all it is.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh I know......don't get me started. Insurance in Ireland is an absolute mess. I believe there is a competition investigation going at EU level for motor insurance. While I have followed the motoring scene mainly, I believe business insurance is also gone through the roof, like you say. It's a real shame. The place is generally a mess if you ask me.It has been going on now Conor for about 3 years, and we are still waiting for results.....that investigation was to see if there was collusion between the Company's in price fixing and to keep competition out.

The main reasons I can't ever see myself returning to Ireland are:

* High income tax
* Rent is a huge % of take home pay
* Motor tax and insurance.
* Dublin is realistically the only place with a liquid job market for me and in real terms is more expensive than London - I sh1t you not.
True on all counts.

The tax on older big engined cars is insane and I think that the government are penny wise and pound foolish there. There would be a decent economy to build on the back of restoring and keeping these cars running (as second cars even) for enthusiasts.

I think the source of all the motoring woes in Ireland is due to SIMI and their lobbying of government. Everything is designed to sell more new cars. The new NOx charge that came in at the start of this year is a joke also.
12 years ago in 2008, and based on scientific and health data, the Govt decided to base the motor tax on emission rather then CC. to encourage the use of diesel over petrol. ( I know I know, incredible though it may seem, but that was the case,,,,,now that thinking is in reverse :mad: ) So on the stroke of midnight 1st of July 2008, the tax rating changed from CC to emissions, so effectively, if you bought a brand new car in the last week of June 2008, it was taxed on cc, so for a 2ltr engine it stayed at €710 (where it still remains ) but on the same identical car bought in the first week of July, the tax was only €200 or less. Its a bit ironic now, but because of the high taxes on cc assessments, the marked has understandably dropped, so its possible the buy a top marque car,, with high spec for reasonable money. people ( most of them anyway ) don't look beyond the high tax, but fail to see the value of the actual car itself. The trick is to add 2 (or more years ) tax to the asking price, and the see if it is worth it for you to buy. BUT,,,,,then with an older car, you run into the insurance wall:confused:.

Boils my blood.

EDIT: To give you an example of how bad things have gotten. In March 2013, I got a fully comp policy on a 6 year old MK V Golf GTI for €750 with just a few years named driver experience. These days you'd be laughed off an insurers phone line for requesting such a quote. I don't think you could get that price for any car these days.

I think they complain about the number of uninsured drivers on the road as a way to justify premiums. If uninsured drivers are such a nuisance, then the govt./police are complicit - they should be using their ANPR cars to detect and disqualify those drivers and checkpoints etc. Heck, if I don't insure my car here in the UK, I get a letter to say I need to insure it or face a fine. It's all a big racket..
See my separate post on this Conor.

They are also changing the TV licence fee to an internet tax soon, too.
Yes, and expect the water taxes to rear its ugly head again too.

Jesus, the more I think about it, it's nearly criminal.
Just remove the word "nearly" and you will be 100% correct

Top Bottom