Start Stop Technology

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

jc62b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Coupe 2014
I agree that it takes some getting used to initially buy once over the 'learning curve' it seems quite normal. I like it as it saves me money (not so many trips to the pumps) and I feel as though I'm doing my bit for the environment. Ahh I hear you say.

It doesn't need to be a problem in the stop start traffic you mention Oarsman because you can stop it from cutting out if you 'feather' the brake pedal when in such traffic. That, if you are not used to doing it, takes a little practice to get used to but will 'solve' that particular problem for you.

Must say that I'm chuffed to bits with it. The day it doesn't start again, if that ever happens, I post a revised opinion!

Hope you feel the same when it costs many £££££ to replace the starter motor after it packs in due to the multiple number of extra stop/starts. Not sure if the fuel savings would be worth it at that point. Personally, I switch it of as soon as I start the car.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hope you feel the same when it costs many £££££ to replace the starter motor after it packs in due to the multiple number of extra stop/starts. Not sure if the fuel savings would be worth it at that point. Personally, I switch it of as soon as I start the car.

Me too :)

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Id switch it off soon as I got the car. I'd love to know exactly how much fuel is actually saved with this feature.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a little rant by the anti start stop brigade. As he claims to be a mechanic, surprised the far more costly fun of cam drive issues is not mentioned

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I get caught out by the youths VW stop start sometimes, it's a nuisance and happens in some awkward places.

The theory has some merits but the implementation isn't good.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Stop/Start saves around 8% of fuel (and therefore pollution and saved costs).
The reduction in pollution was the aim as multiple vehicles stopped at traffic lights or other traffic blockages belching out exhaust fumes causes serious pollution 'blackspots'. Of course these are usually in urban areas which are densely populated.

Ignoring the moral duty to reduce pollution and just looking at the cost aspect alone, saving 8% is significant over the lifetime of the car.
If the 'lifetime' is 150,000 miles at an average of, say, 35 MPG, that would mean about 4,300 gallons of fuel (or 19,500 litres) is used.
If fuel costs £1.35 per litre that works out at over £26,000 for fuel costs for the life of the car.
8% of that is £2,100.
The car lifetime, mpg and fuel costs are, of course, subjective and unique to each individual.

I leave the Stop/Start switched on at all times. I find that traffic blockages are somehow less frustrating when the engine stops automatically.
One of my cars is automatic and it is a bit silly that it switches off when I can see that the traffic is starting to move off in a few seconds, but that is rare and I live with it.
The other car is manual and simply dipping the clutch ensures that the engine stays running in a similar situation.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Stop/Start saves around 8% of fuel (and therefore pollution and saved costs).
The reduction in pollution was the aim as multiple vehicles stopped at traffic lights or other traffic blockages belching out exhaust fumes causes serious pollution 'blackspots'. Of course these are usually in urban areas which are densely populated.

Ignoring the moral duty to reduce pollution and just looking at the cost aspect alone, saving 8% is significant over the lifetime of the car.
If the 'lifetime' is 150,000 miles at an average of, say, 35 MPG, that would mean about 4,300 gallons of fuel (or 19,500 litres) is used.
If fuel costs £1.35 per litre that works out at over £26,000 for fuel costs for the life of the car.
8% of that is £2,100.
The car lifetime, mpg and fuel costs are, of course, subjective and unique to each individual.

I leave the Stop/Start switched on at all times. I find that traffic blockages are somehow less frustrating when the engine stops automatically.
One of my cars is automatic and it is a bit silly that it switches off when I can see that the traffic is starting to move off in a few seconds, but that is rare and I live with it.
The other car is manual and simply dipping the clutch ensures that the engine stays running in a similar situation.
Great response. I can use that £2,100 to repair the timing chain when stretched because of the stop/start function. Swings and roundabouts

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just looked it up and 2.3Kg of CO2 is produced per litre of fuel burnt.
So, using the 19,500 gallons from above, means that the car produces almost 45,540 kgs of CO2.
Wow, that's 45 tonnes !! That's an eye-watering number -- in so many ways!!?
That impacts the environment and causes global warming.

Diesel cars' sins are the production of NOx which is bad for humans (and other animals).
However, in a quick 5 minute 'research' I understand that the latest Euro 6 diesels produce about half the CO2 and very similar NOx levels compared to Euro 6 petrol cars.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I see the FUD brigade are out in force once again :rolleyes:

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure who the FUDs were but I suspect they were closely related to the famous Mr. Ludd?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm not sure who the FUDs were but I suspect they were closely related to the famous Mr. Ludd?
Fear Uncertainty Doubt so yes related :p

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Fear Uncertainty Doubt so yes related :p
It is useless "technology" like stop/ start that produces fear, uncertainty and doubt in consumers. But i suppose battery manufacturers have made more global profits so all is well in the world.

Here's a novel idea how about putting normal width low rolling resistance tyres back on cars instead of 215/45/17's on a supermini. Tyres produce just as many particulates as exhausts.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom