Any interest in a group buy for ABC fluid?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hello team..

So, i've been a keen advocate of the group by concept on forums and have been looking for a good excuse to test it out.

I believe the "Pentosin CHF 11S" Could be a good candidate for this as it is pretty damn expensive and something ABC likes to be kept fresh.

(In case anybody is unaware.. Pentosin was acquired by Fuchs in 2015, and the product is now called Fuchs Titan CHF 11S)

Some quick numbers as a baseline. Retrieved from Opie Oils UK site. These number also include 10% discount using code MBO at checkout. Free delivery.

• 10 litres required
  • 10 x 1 litres = 10 x £15.30 = (£15.30/litre)
  • 1 x 20 litre = £269.10 (£13.46/litre)
So for starters we need to beat £13.46 per litre delivered. Aware that buying 20 litre drums does mean a slight distribution problem.

Depending on numbers we might be able to get a good discount on that. If the price is right, I might actually stretch for 20 litres myself assuming the fluid doesn't go off. If other people were interested in a 20 litre drum also that would probably make things really workable.

I am happy to take the lead on this and make contact to various suppliers. Perhaps I can call Opie directly and see what they can do and also possibly call Fuchs directly.. either UK or mothership.

Regarding logistics. I estimate we will probably end up with at most one pallet. At a stretch I could receive the order here and store in my car garage distribute via meets. That said.. it would probably work a lot easier if somebody in the midlands who had the space could receive it and it might make distribution easier.

Any takers?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Opie oils?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1555-hydraulic-fluid-suspension-fluid.aspx

Looks to be 15% off if you use the “parts” voucher code at the top.

Think they also have a year round code “mercedes” for forum members 10% as they are supporters.

Hey - awesome, I didn't see that code earlier.

As per my post the year-round 10% off can be activated with code MBO.

I will call Fuchs shortly and see what they can do a pallet for. I need to figure out how many 20ltr drums are in a euro pallet / outer pack.

I'm not sure where we can get to but if we could achieve something less than £10/litre that would be awesome I think.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not convinced the Comma stuff is worse? It’s considerably cheaper and base product is the same.
Has anyone had actual issues using non Pentosin?
......awaiting barrage now :rolleyes:

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not convinced the Comma stuff is worse? It’s considerably cheaper and base product is the same.
Has anyone had actual issues using non Pentosin?
......awaiting barrage now :rolleyes:

Hi John... I have been wondering the same thing. Also based on peoples experience with "lesser brand" engine oil..

It would be interesting to investigate. And also.. if considerably.. cheaper. Maybe we could double down and get a group buy on that. Then change it more frequently.

I am inclined to follow the school of thought that frequency of change would trump brand/quality.. what do you think?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
£9.35/ltr delivered in 20 ltr drums from Power Enhancer on ebay:)

That is very good to know. Thank you. If they are making a margin on that, I wonder what they are paying and if we can get the same wholesale price?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
That is very good to know. Thank you. If they are making a margin on that, I wonder what they are paying and if we can get the same wholesale price?

I thought 'The spirit of Enterprise' was a spaceship until I read your eagerness for a deal.
Like Alistair, I need this stuff so infrequently that it doesn't make sense to store it.
Best of luck to you. You'll end up wealthier than I'll ever be.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I need this stuff so infrequently that it doesn't make sense to store it.

I have a bottle of the MB Pentosin stuff I have never used, I bought it from MB when my pump started leaking and still have it in the garage. In the end MB replaced the fluid when I had the pump replaced, so no, I would not need it.

Last edited:
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought 'The spirit of Enterprise' was a spaceship until I read your eagerness for a deal.
Like Alistair, I need this stuff so infrequently that it doesn't make sense to store it.
Best of luck to you. You'll end up wealthier than I'll ever be.

Haha.. Not if I keep spending it on cars lol.

...well it turns out maybe this isn't the product for a group buy.

I guess that ultimately it will take people a few years to put 10k on their ABC cars.

Its just I happen to plan on doing mine this summer.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom