e220 2016 fuel range

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e220 amg nightline/2016/w212
Hi guys i bought a e220 amg nightpack 2016 about 6 months ago. love the car, only issue i have is my mpg. only seem to be able to get about 480miles on a full tank (mpg 44.5). thats driving it handy under speed limit and barley touching the pedal. i feel like this car should be able to do more. been on to mercedes about it, said theyll check it out next time im in. ive also done about 13k miles and yet to put any adblue in yet.

just wondering if anybody has a similar car and if they had the same issues or is the normally range?

cheers

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Is it a W213 or a W212? (9G box or 7G)?

W213 is much much better than the W212 (I had 925 miles for one tankful...(65ltr tank))

Also have you had the “benefit” of the recent diesel software update?

Quite a few threads and posts on this forum about it and owners are reporting worse fuel economy after the “update”...

OP
S

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome

Is it a W213 or a W212? (9G box or 7G)?

W213 is much much better than the W212 (I had 925 miles for one tankful...(65ltr tank))

Also have you had the “benefit” of the recent diesel software update?

Quite a few threads and posts on this forum about it and owners are reporting worse fuel economy after the “update”...

its 7G and checked the paperwork, its actually a w212. tank is 55ltrs

i had a look an seen a few threads on the diesel update. its quite possible. would explain how a friend has the same car but better range. i bought mine through mercedces and she bought it garage that brought it it so maybe they didnt have access to update the system.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
What sort of driving are you doing, are you doing some short distances, in town driving, A road free flowing?

All these factors alter the mpg regardless of how you drive.

You should be getting 50+mpg when doing longer journeys on a free flowing A road. But short journeys in town would be in the low to mid 30's. What you will get is the result of these journeys. You don't seem to be too far off what I would expect if you were 50/50 on these types of journeys.

My E250 on the 7G box is doing 43mpg average with a mix of town driving and open roads.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
its 7G and checked the paperwork, its actually a w212. tank is 55ltrs

i had a look an seen a few threads on the diesel update. its quite possible. would explain how a friend has the same car but better range. i bought mine through mercedces and she bought it garage that brought it it so maybe they didnt have access to update the system.

I would say that is about right for a 212 7 spd - the 213 will give you 50mpg average on good runs but that’s a different engine (OM654) coupled to the superb 9 spd box

OP
S

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What sort of driving are you doing, are you doing some short distances, in town driving, A road free flowing?

All these factors alter the mpg regardless of how you drive.

You should be getting 50+mpg when doing longer journeys on a free flowing A road. But short journeys in town would be in the low to mid 30's. What you will get is the result of these journeys. You don't seem to be too far off what I would expect if you were 50/50 on these types of journeys.

My E250 on the 7G box is doing 43mpg average with a mix of town driving and open roads.

driving to work in morning and evening, usually a 25 min journey on a main road. was able to somethings hit 51mpg but normally in around 43-47 theres also some town driving. the odd weekend ill do a long journey on motorway, would have it cruise control and would only do 46mpg, tried it without cruise control twice and was getting same range

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
My 218 CLS is giving similar results (42 mpg over 2500 mls) - a long way short of the claimed figure of 57mpg. All of my previous cars were within a few % of claimed for my daily commute. What is even more odd is that when I drive home with more traffic and stop start my fuel efficiency jumps to 45mpg.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
driving to work in morning and evening, usually a 25 min journey on a main road. was able to somethings hit 51mpg but normally in around 43-47 theres also some town driving. the odd weekend ill do a long journey on motorway, would have it cruise control and would only do 46mpg, tried it without cruise control twice and was getting same range
You'll be at full operating temp for only half of your commute (~12 mins to get to temp) so you'll not be getting maximum efficiency. It will get better once the temperature increases

What are your tyre pressures like? If on the lower side economy will again be affected. Run at the high end of the figures in the fuel filler cap and you should see an improvement

OP
S

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 218 CLS is giving similar results (42 mpg over 2500 mls) - a long way short of the claimed figure of 57mpg. All of my previous cars were within a few % of claimed for my daily commute. What is even more odd is that when I drive home with more traffic and stop start my fuel efficiency jumps to 45mpg.

yeah my commute home definetly easier to hit 50mpg then the morning journeys.

OP
S

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You'll be at full operating temp for only half of your commute (~12 mins to get to temp) so you'll not be getting maximum efficiency. It will get better once the temperature increases

What are your tyre pressures like? If on the lower side economy will again be affected. Run at the high end of the figures in the fuel filler cap and you should see an improvement

when you say "Run at the high end of the figures in the fuel filler cap and you should see an improvement" do you mean more pressure in the tires at the back?

will have to check tire pressures, what should they be at?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when you say "Run at the high end of the figures in the fuel filler cap and you should see an improvement" do you mean more pressure in the tires at the back?

will have to check tire pressures, what should they be at?
More pressure in all 4 tyres - the figures will be listed in your fuel filler cap. Use the fully loaded figures and see if you get an improvement - just check your tyres and see that the centre's aren't wearing more than the sides.

OP
S

scotty87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More pressure in all 4 tyres - the figures will be listed in your fuel filler cap. Use the fully loaded figures and see if you get an improvement - just check your tyres and see that the centre's aren't wearing more than the sides.

will check them later this evening cheers.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
I have found the MPG figures on the on-board computer to be very inaccurate (optimistic by up to 20%).

To get accurate figures you will need to do fill-to-fill recording the amount of fuel purchased and the actual mileage.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I do fill to fill for mine and the on-board computer has been within 0.2 mpg over 20,000 miles.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom