Help choosing E Class Estate model around 2015

Petenshe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-Class estate 2015
Hello, I’m new here. Our car has been written off in the recent floods so I’m in a position to go for a different make of car. I think a EClass estate around 2015 would be great and very suitable and I would really appreciate any advice on the best model/fuel type for economy and our needs.
It would be used as a family car. Approx 12K m per yr, involving daily runs under 10 miles for school, dog, shopping, Wk etc. At least 1 yearly camping trip-heavy laden with large roof box, 3 teenagers to France or Cornwall (from Yorkshire), trip to see fam in Surrey...so basically a mix of needs. 75% city pootling and 25% longer runs with decent power.
Second hand cars bought with over 100k on clock doesn’t seem to worry MB drivers, is this the case for both diesel and petrol? I hope to run it for at least 8yrs.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

OP
P

Petenshe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello,
I must say they are both very smart looking examples. I was hoping not to go over 15k if possible. Reviews say the AMG versions are quite a firm ride. I’m also surprised to discover the petrol versions are quite a lot more expensive, I thought it would be the other way round. I seem to get much more for my money if I look at diesel.
Thank you for your reply.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome- the 2015 car will be the MB code 212 which is a great car, but if you can stretch to the newer 213 model (late 2016 on), the technology improves greatly , including economy. The AMG line versions can be a little firmer, mostly due to larger wheels and LP tyres so you may want to concentrate on the SE specification.
You will struggle to find many petrol versions of either around , but fleet sales were definitely biased towards diesel, hence the glut and also the more competitive pricing.
Neither diesel or petrol should be a worry with high mileages, on the 212 version 4 pot (engine designation OM651) there is some care to be taken over the chain and whether it has been replaced and sprockets checked at higher mileage. Excessive rattle at start up is an indicator. So far the 213 4 pot engine (OM654) seems to be reliable and smooth as butter.
Plenty choice of either around, if 15k is really your top limit then you’re probably in 212 territory

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I must say they are both very smart looking examples. I was hoping not to go over 15k if possible. Reviews say the AMG versions are quite a firm ride.

AMG will be firmer as they have sports suspension, look for one with 18" wheels not 19" also the "Premium" and "Premium Plus" packs are essential IMO to get a decent spec.

I’m also surprised to discover the petrol versions are quite a lot more expensive, I thought it would be the other way round. I seem to get much more for my money if I look at diesel.

There are so many Diesel versions it reduces prices, to oyur price range there are no petrol versions for sale on AT and only 1 hybrid which I would stay well away from

Bang on budget and very well specced with Leather and COMAND

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...tising-location=at_cars&price-to=16000&page=1

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
When you say "around 2015" you need to be aware that there was a model change (from S212 to S213) in mid 2016. The later model is generally regarded as better (as it should be) and, if a diesel, will have the well regarded later 1950cc engine (unless you go for a larger engine). That said, the S212 is still very good and both would I am sure meet your needs. The one thing to consider carefully is whether your pattern of use will suit a diesel. You say that you will do a lot of short runs interspersed with longer trips. The problem you may face is with the diesel particulate filter (dpf) becoming clogged if it does not get a long enough run frequently enough. If you can give it a 25 or 30 mile run out of town (it does not need to be hammered, just normal driving above 40 mph or so) every 250 miles or thereabouts, I think you will be OK. But if not, you should probably consider a petrol engine ( or a different car altogether), and the conventional wisdom would be that for 12k miles a year your mileage is not high enough to justify diesel. However, unless you go for a high performance version, you will find that petrol versions are few and far between and less economical even with your pattern of use. I find the performance of my S213 E220d (1950cc) diesel very adequate, and I think the E200 petrol would be OK (if you can find one). In the S212 the E220d is perfectly adequate, although the E250d (same 2143cc engine with a bit more power) would be a good choice also. Some people will argue that the smoother six cylinder diesels are worth the extra cost and increased fuel consumption, and I am not saying they are wrong. It is very much down to personal preferences.
Space-wise, if you are looking to get three teenagers in the back, I think you are right not to be considering anything smaller than an E class.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

S213 would be my choice, late 2016 In E220d SE guise (real leather seats and comfortable)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
P

Petenshe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is SO helpful, I’m at work now so I’ll have a good read tonight when I’m home. Typical, I didn’t realise 2015 introduced a new generation. Lots of things to consider. Our previous car was a diesel and we would get it out for a good faster 3/4hr drive around least twice a week to help the filters not to clog.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
MB will self regenerate the DPF should it become clogged. I do loads of short journeys in mine with no problems

If you do go diesel I also do quite a lot of short journeys with mine I tend to extend the journey during a DPF regeneration to let the cleaning cycle finish takes about 15-20 mins in all and occurs every 300-400 miles (or 15-20 hours running) depending on use.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Our W212 350cdi does three of four shorter journies a week and hasn't had any problems over the last 4 and a bit years. We do try to keep them to a minimum though - the Honda gets used whenever possible.

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
This is SO helpful, I’m at work now so I’ll have a good read tonight when I’m home. Typical, I didn’t realise 2015 introduced a new generation. Lots of things to consider. Our previous car was a diesel and we would get it out for a good faster 3/4hr drive around least twice a week to help the filters not to clog.
It was mid 2016 for the change actually. Externally, they don't look very different at first glance, so be sure to check.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You won’t have any DPF problems with that profile - the 213 can be identified more easily by the 9G tronic box the 212 had the 7G

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.

Welcome Pete,
That’s where this forum is great, lots of knowledge and in the long run of Mercedes ownership can save you ££££.

OP
P

Petenshe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was mid 2016 for the change actually. Externally, they don't look very different at first glance, so be sure to check.
....yes, I read back later and realised I’d put 2015. I meant to say 2016.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI

Regrettably they're on commission , upon purchasing a suggested you will be contacted for a PayPal payment .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom