New owner of a cheap W169.

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Hello all. I'm not new to Mercedes: I had a W201 190E some years ago. But now I find myself back under the banner of Three-Pointed Star with my purchase of a 2005 (55 plate) A180 CDI Elegance with a CVT and a bucket list of problems. Some I can deal with, or already know people that can (it has a broken rear spring so I've ordered a pair and my mech has been informed), but some are specific (like how the F&*K do you check the Transmission fluid level??), so expect stupid questions.

TiA

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello & welcome!
From another 169 owner :)

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Thanks for the warm welcome! Can anyone point me towards threads that deal with the W169, particularly the 2.0 Diesel and the CVT? I've done about 50 miles since I got it, and limp mode notwithstanding it's very nice to drive. I could get to like it, perhaps! ;)

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Thanks. What is this mythical "Green Dipstick" which is mentioned so many times in the linked thread? I know there is the tube on the gearbox which is covered with a blank.

There's a tiny bit of info here

and a youtube that might shed some light..

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
I'm in Hertfordshire (I can see Essex from the top of my road. Well, Harlow.).
According to the fitment details the one you posted isn't the one for my car. I need the 92cm one. If it doesn't fit I'm 10 quid down but can probably sell it on.

I think that’s the wrong one, you will need one for the 722.8 box (I think, not looked at mine for a while.

where are you based btw, if your not too far from me then your welcome to borrow mine.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I'm in Hertfordshire (I can see Essex from the top of my road. Well, Harlow.).
According to the fitment details the one you posted isn't the one for my car. I need the 92cm one. If it doesn't fit I'm 10 quid down but can probably sell it on.
Just checked mine and it might just fit, the green handle dipstick is the correct one for your box but if I remember correctly the red will just fit. It’s been a longer time since I did check it on the wife’s car if I’m honest, haven’t touched it since the gearbox was rebuilt 2 years ago

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hello all. I'm not new to Mercedes: I had a W201 190E some years ago. But now I find myself back under the banner of Three-Pointed Star with my purchase of a 2005 (55 plate) A180 CDI Elegance with a CVT and a bucket list of problems. Some I can deal with, or already know people that can (it has a broken rear spring so I've ordered a pair and my mech has been informed), but some are specific (like how the F&*K do you check the Transmission fluid level??), so expect stupid questions.

TiA

Hello and Welcome Laimski For a few jobs, YouTube is your friend - I searched for 'Mercedes A180: how to check the transmission fluid' and there's a video there. Best of luck with it!

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Nice to know they're not that unreliable (you know the horror stories about CVT)

Just checked mine and it might just fit, the green handle dipstick is the correct one for your box but if I remember correctly the red will just fit. It’s been a longer time since I did check it on the wife’s car if I’m honest, haven’t touched it since the gearbox was rebuilt 2 years ago

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom