MANDATORY RECALL: Software update for your diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
A vaguely remember a conversation about this when I was on the phone to main dealer about another matter.
Mine has a map on and definitely don’t want it removed ! I’ll have a word with my “Indie” when I’m next in there.
Our indie was applying a gearbox software update and the engine software update followed on without any option to stop it. The map had to be reapplied by GAD.
Our car hasn't had any recall but the software update happened anyway. Incidentally, fuel consumption has worsened since.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Our indie was applying a gearbox software update and the engine software update followed on without any option to stop it. The map had to be reapplied by GAD.
Our car hasn't had any recall but the software update happened anyway. Incidentally, fuel consumption has worsened since.
How can it be worse if GAD reapplied their map afterwards???

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Has anyone got a link to check if your car is affected?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
How can it be worse if GAD reapplied their map afterwards???
Good question. I can't provide empirical evidence, just an impression from the trip display that consumption has deteriorated by 2-4mpg on journeys I do regularly. It might be just that it's winter?
The performance was restored, of that there's no doubt!

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Not sure that pointing out a well known hazard would make me an environmentalist??
"Killing people prematurely caused in part by car emmissions is pretty dangerous"

...is in my opinion a rather hysterical turn of phrase, much akin to the rantings of a certain young environmentalist who somehow is front page news for being a truant.

However there are few if any death certificates issued in the UK with the cause of death as "car emissions" on them. I would think coroners not wishing to be found guilty of perjury may be the reason for this.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
"Killing people prematurely caused in part by car emmissions is pretty dangerous"

...is in my opinion a rather hysterical turn of phrase, much akin to the rantings of a certain young environmentalist who somehow is front page news for being a truant.

However there are few if any death certificates issued in the UK with the cause of death as "car emissions" on them. I would think coroners not wishing to be found guilty of perjury may be the reason for this.
You're demonstrating your lack of understanding of the effects of NOx and PM emissions.
NOx has the effect of stunning the cilia (small hairs lining the passages in the respiratory tract). The cilia are responsible for trapping any small particles and propelling them out of the lungs.
While cilia are not functioning any small particles, bacteria, viruses etc can be drawn into the lungs and cause issues ranging from common cold through to cancer. Higher NOx has been shown to increase respiratory illnesses (search the Lancet or Science Direct if you want proper peer reviewed clinical and scientific studies).
Given the higher NOx of diesel engines pre EU6 (assuming they actually comply with the standard) and the high incidence of diesel powered vehicles Phil is quite correct in his statement. He did say "caused in part" as opposed to how you seem to have read it.
All ICE engines contribute to NOx but diesels are the biggest contributor. That's why diesels are being banned from city centres all across Europe.
Once HCCI becomes commonplace we can expect diesels to be consigned to the history pages.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're demonstrating your lack of understanding of the effects of NOx and PM emissions.
NOx has the effect of stunning the cilia (small hairs lining the passages in the respiratory tract). The cilia are responsible for trapping any small particles and propelling them out of the lungs.
While cilia are not functioning any small particles, bacteria, viruses etc can be drawn into the lungs and cause issues ranging from common cold through to cancer. Higher NOx has been shown to increase respiratory illnesses (search the Lancet or Science Direct if you want proper peer reviewed clinical and scientific studies).
Given the higher NOx of diesel engines pre EU6 (assuming they actually comply with the standard) and the high incidence of diesel powered vehicles Phil is quite correct in his statement. He did say "caused in part" as opposed to how you seem to have read it.
All ICE engines contribute to NOx but diesels are the biggest contributor. That's why diesels are being banned from city centres all across Europe.
Once HCCI becomes commonplace we can expect diesels to be consigned to the history pages.
Have you never read the piece of paper that comes in every box of tablets you get from the pharmacy? Everything potentially has detrimental effects on the human body, even medicine.

Hysteria used to justify unprecedented social change. Without this hysteria nobody would accept it.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you never read the piece of paper that comes in every box of tablets you get from the pharmacy? Everything potentially has detrimental effects on the human body, even medicine.

Hysteria used to justify unprecedented social change. Without this hysteria nobody would accept it.
So you know better than all those highly trained physicians, clinicians and scientists that have studied the effects of NOx and particulate matter on the human body, then gone on to submit papers for peer review and subsequent publication in the scientific and professional domain. Are you saying that was nothing but hysteria to justify social change? That's how you're coming across.

Here's a nice little challenge for you since you're so dismissive of the effects of NOx: Find me one single scientific peer reviewed document that says NOx is not harmful to human health.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sorry but i do not find your argument here at all persuasive.

If as you contest our politicians are so concerned about public health and that is their sole concern then a balanced view is required. Without this balance the blurting out of dramatic facts has no meaning.

Like i said in a previous post everything potentially has a detrimental effect on humanity.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sorry but i do not find your argument here at all persuasive.

If as you contest our politicians are so concerned about public health and that is their sole concern then a balanced view is required. Without this balance the blurting out of dramatic facts has no meaning.

Like i said in a previous post everything potentially has a detrimental effect on humanity.
The politicians failed in their balanced approach when they ignored NOx and PM in their rush to target CO2. This is something I have said ever since it was introduced. I had the opportunity to meet my old school chemistry teacher (who wrote text books for the education curriculum) back in the late 90s. He also was of the opinion diesel was bad for the environment and human health. It's only taken 30 years for politicians to catch up with what the scientific community already knew back in the 80s when NOx was identified as a major component in the formation of acid rain.

Read the summaries in the link I posted (if you aren't aware Science Direct is one of the largest global repositories of scientific peer reviewed publications on the planet. Everything published has to be reviewed and agreed by independent peers in that field).

Saying NOx isn't a problem doesn't make it less of a problem.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A balanced approach cannot ever fail. The opposite is unbalanced, a lie.

Yes the politicians have definately caught up now.

They all sing from the same hymn sheet which only has the words Ban, Tax & Enforce written on it.

Ever heard of Totalitarianism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom