What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I think Alex would burst into flames as he crossed the MB threshold , bit like a Devil heading into church :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I do have to venture in for parts occasionally :) although I do try and get Matt, the mechanic who works with me, to go :)

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I drove my car down to MBS in Southampton for servicing. Even in this morning's skanky weather, the drive down was a joy. It's a two hour train journey to get home but I always feel confident that the car will be properly assessed and maintained when it's in their hands.

Hope My examination didn’t upset you too much, great car but just suffering normal 230 issues we see at this age, drives nice!!!! Fuel filter was a real pig!!! I had a shower in fuel!!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
2 Jobs done on the Merc's today, first was to take the second replacement battery back to Halfords and they offered a full refund. The AGM battery they recommend was just not up to the job. I now have my 7 year old Varta battery which has been sitting on a piece of plywood in the garage untouched since September last year showing 12.1 Volts, .24 volts less than the Halford battery after a 3 hour drive in the 55. What amazed me was when I put my 7 year old battery in the 55, no consumers off line message :cool:

Second job was this, one guess :D
IMG_20200302_161451.jpg

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hope My examination didn’t upset you too much, great car but just suffering normal 230 issues we see at this age, drives nice!!!! Fuel filter was a real pig!!! I had a shower in fuel!!

I must say, we should setup some sort of councillng group for new owners of R230's that have brought them in for healtchecks. It nevers goes down well.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

Thanks Cole, I'm delighted with the car every time I drive it. I now have the confidence of knowing it's had your expert eye and close attention. I'm very keen to keep the car in top order, so you'll be seeing it regularly.

Maybe I shouldn't have delivered it to you with a full tank, as you were changing the fuel filter.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must say, we should setup some sort of councillng group for new owners of R230's that have brought them in for healtchecks. It nevers goes down well.

That might just be what all owners of the R230 could do with Alex..........Leaks, leaks and more leaks :rolleyes:

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

I'm honestly delighted. The car has a whole gang of new filters, new oil, new brake fluid. This is not a breakdown repair, just good maintenance. I'm buying peace of mind. It drives like a dream.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Gap in the rain, so gave her a good wash and silicon oiled all rubbers.
Some of the back window rubbers had started to stiffen since I last did them. Should move up to twice a year in future.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gap in the sun, so towels place back in the SL :rolleyes:

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
The sun briefly came out so took the opportunity to wash the car, then took it into my workshop (in case it rained) so I could clean out the interior.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 28

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I am starting to research fitting an oil pressure gauge to the M113k engine in my SL, I have heard of problems with the o ring hardening in the oil pump scavenge pipe, leading to oil starvation problems, and would like peace of mind. If any Indie offers this I am open to suggestions. A new O ring would be the best solution, but this is 7 hours labour to change.

There is a place to fit a sender, I just need to get around to having a look at clearances etc.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am starting to research fitting an oil pressure gauge to the M113k engine in my SL, I have heard of problems with the o ring hardening in the oil pump scavenge pipe, leading to oil starvation problems, and would like peace of mind. If any Indie offers this I am open to suggestions. A new O ring would be the best solution, but this is 7 hours labour to change.

There is a place to fit a sender, I just need to get around to having a look at clearances etc.

Not heard of an o-ring hardening Mark, I am sure they are constantly in the oil anyway unless the engine is being run while the car is on its roof in a ditch??? However I have been wrong before :confused:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Not heard of an o-ring hardening Mark, I am sure they are constantly in the oil anyway unless the engine is being run while the car is on its roof in a ditch??? However I have been wrong before :confused:

Unfortunately they are a rubber type material, and can harden and fail with the engine heat cycles, allowing the oil pump to suck up air bubbles rather than oil. Not sure how common this is, but there are documented cases on YouTube, just search for M113. Only affects SL, CL and E class engines as they have the two chamber sump requiring a scavenge tube to lift oil from the front section of the sump back into the oil pump. Our cars are now 16 years old, so the O ring is likely hardened by now. Why Merc did not fit an oil pressure gauge or even a warning light is a mystery, as this would give some warning. It is easy enough to fit one though, so I will probably do that.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004

Hi Cole, the seats are now more comfortable than they have ever been in my 3+ years of owning the car. It seems strange that the lumbar support feature had been turned off. Thanks for reawakening it.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately they are a rubber type material, and can harden and fail with the engine heat cycles, allowing the oil pump to suck up air bubbles rather than oil. Not sure how common this is, but there are documented cases on YouTube, just search for M113. Only affects SL, CL and E class engines as they have the two chamber sump requiring a scavenge tube to lift oil from the front section of the sump back into the oil pump. Our cars are now 16 years old, so the O ring is likely hardened by now. Why Merc did not fit an oil pressure gauge or even a warning light is a mystery, as this would give some warning. It is easy enough to fit one though, so I will probably do that.

Be good to know when you get this done Mark, keep us up dated. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Nice little top down drive in the sun :)

Only issue was hearing a metallic noise like I had something wrong with my rear suspension. The noise went when the Toyota Hilux behind me turned off :p

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Dropped it off to have 2 lower front control arms fitted

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom