Low Engine Temperature???

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Morning all.
I have the M271 1.8 L Kompressor engine.
In my first 4ish years of ownership it quickly reached 85 degrees and then stayed rock solid at 85.
Eventually the thermostat showed signs of age and she would only get up to 60/70 so I changed the thermostat. Replacement was a Whaler, identical to the one that came out.
Both thermostats had 90 degrees stamped on them. Now she sits at 85/87 & is running lovely.
In my mind this is just a characteristic of my car and is nothing to worry about. Am I being over optimistic? Is there anything I should worry about?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Morning all.
I have the M271 1.8 L Kompressor engine.
In my first 4ish years of ownership it quickly reached 85 degrees and then stayed rock solid at 85.
Eventually the thermostat showed signs of age and she would only get up to 60/70 so I changed the thermostat. Replacement was a Whaler, identical to the one that came out.
Both thermostats had 90 degrees stamped on them. Now she sits at 85/87 & is running lovely.
In my mind this is just a characteristic of my car and is nothing to worry about. Am I being over optimistic? Is there anything I should worry about?
Mine is exactly the same after changing the thermostat about two years ago. I've no concerns.:)

OP
D

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that the water temp may fall a little after leaving the thermostat and before reaching the sensor.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
It also depends on the life/brand of the engine coolant. Did you renew the coolant when you changed the stat.

OP
D

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't change the coolant. I checked it using one of those hydrometer type testers and it showed efficacy at below -40. The coolant was also clean.
It is the original MB long life coolant (15 years????) and the level has remained constant for 4.5 years. I know it will need changing soon, but I didn't dare to do it at the same time, 'cause if I had a problem I wouldn't know if it was due to a faulty stat or an air lock. I've had probs in the past when doing 2 jobs at the same time.:(:(

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I didn't change the coolant. I checked it using one of those hydrometer type testers and it showed efficacy at below -40. The coolant was also clean.
It is the original MB long life coolant (15 years????) and the level has remained constant for 4.5 years. I know it will need changing soon, but I didn't dare to do it at the same time, 'cause if I had a problem I wouldn't know if it was due to a faulty stat or an air lock. I've had probs in the past when doing 2 jobs at the same time.:(:(
Yes it is 15 years still :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The only time I have seen my CLK temp gauge go up to one bar above where it always sits , was driving up Mount Ventoux in southern France last year. Otherwise it sits in the same place regardless . I fitted a new stat 3 years ago ?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom