W169 front SAM: What does it control?

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
as you know I bought my car knowing it wasn't well, and despite this it's been quite reliable over the last 12 days (transmission errors aside). However, after browsing through some of the posts I notice the front SAM controls things that are seemingly totally unconnected, so here's the question: would the Blower control (12 pos blower control), the link between the COMAND and the dash, and the cruise control run through this box? My symptoms are: Blower only works on the LOWEST setting (I can here it and feel some air from the windscreen vents), dashboard clock doesn't sync with the COMAND time as it should, and the Cruise Control won't engage.

Any connection, or am I widdling to leeward?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's a video I remember on Forrera's YouTube channel showing how to repair heater, that's only working on its highest setting - could be useful. It might've been his facebook page: Forrera

Don' t have an exhaustive list of all SAM functions - I tend to get the info needed for a particular mod / project, so can tell you about exterior and interior lights, adaptive brake system, etc.

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Yeah, I saw that video, but he's using the heater system with the hard switch and resistor pack. Mine is the "Thermotronic" setup.
There's a video I remember on Forrera's YouTube channel showing how to repair heater, that's only working on its highest setting - could be useful. It might've been his facebook page: Forrera

Don' t have an exhaustive list of all SAM functions - I tend to get the info needed for a particular mod / project, so can tell you about exterior and interior lights, adaptive brake system, etc.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah, I saw that video, but he's using the heater system with the hard switch and resistor pack. Mine is the "Thermotronic" setup.
Ah, nice option - I was looking into retrofitting one, but it's too integrated into other systems ...
Have you check the back of the unit for obvious signs of electrical gremlins - burnt out pins, etc?

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
I'm looking for likelihoods before I start tearing out modules, but I guess that's going to have to happen sooner or later. I'm just waiting for a few mild and dry days before I start (I don't have a garage). I also have to hope it's something as simple as a dodgy contact because I need the car drivable and I don't have any money for a replacement :(
Ah, nice option - I was looking into retrofitting one, but it's too integrated into other systems ...
Have you check the back of the unit for obvious signs of electrical gremlins - burnt out pins, etc?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Have you been able to see if there is any moisture near the SAM on your car?

OP
Liamski

Liamski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A180 CDI Elegance
Where abouts would it be likely to gain ingress? Are these cars prone to water getting into the electrics? Would I be better off pulling the whole SAM out and spraying down all the connectors and plugs with contact cleaner anyway, just in case?

Have you been able to see if there is any moisture near the SAM on your car?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where abouts would it be likely to gain ingress? Are these cars prone to water getting into the electrics?
Check the main / central (under the cabin filter) and side water drains - if blocked, water gets into A/C system and then to battery compartment and SAM.

Also check the ground points (front sections of door frames, under the round trim, about 4 inches off the floor).

42688795300_398b690c33_o.jpg

Top Bottom