How much for a replacement alloy?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don't understand what it means to 'straddle' speed bumps. How should I avoid doing this?
"Straddle" is when you approach the speed bump cushion (the ones that are generally square and only cover part of the carriageway - (not the hump all the way across the road)) and you try and get a wheel over each side.

Doing this puts an enormous force on the very soft inner (unsupported) wheel rim. This can pinch tyres (happened to me) and crack alloys.

Depending upon where the bump is placed in the road I'll aim my drivers wheel in the gap and the passenger wheel right over the middle of the bump. It's slower progress but puts much less strain on wheels and suspension.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
"Straddle" is when you approach the speed bump cushion (the ones that are generally square and only cover part of the carriageway - (not the hump all the way across the road)) and you try and get a wheel over each side.

Doing this puts an enormous force on the very soft inner (unsupported) wheel rim. This can pinch tyres (happened to me) and crack alloys.

Depending upon where the bump is placed in the road I'll aim my drivers wheel in the gap and the passenger wheel right over the middle of the bump. It's slower progress but puts much less strain on wheels and suspension.

Thanks Blobcat, that's a helpful explanation. I've been straddling for years without consequence, but I'm mend my ways.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks Blobcat, that's a helpful explanation. I've been straddling for years without consequence, but I'm mend my ways.
Cost me 2 tyres on my W211 E-Class as I lived on a road with 4 of them in each direction. It took the inside edge off of both front tyres.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I don't understand what it means to 'straddle' speed bumps. How should I avoid doing this?

If the speed bump is single and doesn't go across the whole road you should put one wheel over it and the other through the gap. driving with one wheel each side will damage wheels, tyres and knackers your tracking

Last edited:
OP
alexander1954

alexander1954

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M350 departed E220D Estate
“The tyre is wrecked”
Strangely, while Mercedes won’t let me drive away with the damaged alloy without signing a waiver, they say the tyre is ok

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If the tyre is okay then maybe they should be processing a warranty claim for a defective alloy wheel!

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Personally in very humble opinion I would buy a replacement genuine one off ebay, or simular, and fit 2 new rear tyres. It'll still be cheaper than letting Mercedes just replace the wheel!
The Waiver thing is a Company Insurance Stipulation, not necessarily their own. And after you have done that get them to do the MOT, if they pass it as "Fit" then they can destroy the Waiver because basically the reason for the Waiver will no longer exist.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hi there,

Just been through same process. Got a 275 r19 from eBay for £225. It looks brand new and is in perfect condition. I can recommended the same supplier if you’re interested.

a9dda248547bb99137699d525d0da74a.jpg

OP
alexander1954

alexander1954

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M350 departed E220D Estate
I’ve gone for the Mercedes replacement. Not prepared to put anyone else at risk however small the percentages are by having a weld.
I did have the offer of a new alloy from an independent supplier but the wait for delivery & possibility of having to send back for wrong colour, size etc meant the marginally less basic price did not warrant it.
Mercedes fitted free of charge and made reductions in some other costs.
However when I went to collect and paid and was driving away a warning came up of low pressure in the tyre.
Turns out it is U.S. and is being replaced tomorrow - I had taken out insurance for this and the garage is processing a claim

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
I’ve gone for the Mercedes replacement. Not prepared to put anyone else at risk however small the percentages are by having a weld.
I did have the offer of a new alloy from an independent supplier but the wait for delivery & possibility of having to send back for wrong colour, size etc meant the marginally less basic price did not warrant it.
Mercedes fitted free of charge and made reductions in some other costs.
However when I went to collect and paid and was driving away a warning came up of low pressure in the tyre.
Turns out it is U.S. and is being replaced tomorrow - I had taken out insurance for this and the garage is processing a claim

Make sure you keep the alloy and get it welded anyway! It might prove as a good spare one day whilst you source another alloy :) I understand going for one from MB as parts do have a 2 year warranty and you know it'll be good as new when fitted to the vehicle. If you have a good dealer, then it's not a bad route to go down.

What do you mean by U.S? I can't seem to think of anything or it may be too late at night!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Make sure you keep the alloy and get it welded anyway! It might prove as a good spare one day whilst you source another alloy :) I understand going for one from MB as parts do have a 2 year warranty and you know it'll be good as new when fitted to the vehicle. If you have a good dealer, then it's not a bad route to go down.

What do you mean by U.S? I can't seem to think of anything or it may be too late at night!
US = Useless

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300

US (unserviceable) if you are ex forces.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Make sure you keep the alloy and get it welded anyway! It might prove as a good spare one day whilst you source another alloy

Absolutely, it is probably what MB will do to keep as a spare

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One of the fitters/techs will probably have his eye on it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Absolutely, repair it, refurb it then sell it on E-Bay, they already have a box

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
If the tyre is okay then maybe they should be processing a warranty claim for a defective alloy wheel!

They should replace as it's not fit for purpose if it cracks in normal UK road use.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
They should replace as it's not fit for purpose if it cracks in normal UK road use.

That applies to loads of rims that even I know of. Some of Vauxhall's Irmsher rims buckled at the sight of a pot hole likewise Brabus rims as fitted to some Smarts would have been tougher had they been made from Kit Kat wrappers :D

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I see that you've sorted it.

I use this company (Alloy wheels Direct) for replacement wheels. I've found them to be quick, reasonably priced and good quality - all MB numbered

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom