Noisy Engine

Andedav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500
Just took my other W124 out of garage to get ready for summer, been laid up over winter. Started first time but i let it idle for a couple of minutes before moving it. Sitting inside the car i can hear tick tick tick coming from the engine i am sure was not there when i put it in. When i rev the engine the tick tick noise increases with the revs. I tried to pinpoint the noise but it seems to be coming from every part of the engine bay. Any clues. Its quite loud and its sounds exactly as i print it - tick tick tick.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Almost certainly a stuck hydraulic lifter. You may find it goes away after the engine gets warm or it may need a new lifter. However if replacing one you may as well replace them all.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Just took my other W124 out of garage to get ready for summer, been laid up over winter. Started first time but i let it idle for a couple of minutes before moving it. Sitting inside the car i can hear tick tick tick coming from the engine i am sure was not there when i put it in. When i rev the engine the tick tick noise increases with the revs. I tried to pinpoint the noise but it seems to be coming from every part of the engine bay. Any clues. Its quite loud and its sounds exactly as i print it - tick tick tick.
The w124 is asking for an oil & filter change after a nice long rest.

Top Bottom