What happens if I cannot get my car serviced

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Both our cars are coming due for a service......looks like service centres are closing down. I'm happy to take a chance on my wife's car and use it for a while - without a service. However MOT is also due on my wide's car in the next several week and we may not be able to get that done. What are the risks?

TheBlimp75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLS 350 107k
Both our cars are coming due for a service......looks like service centres are closing down. I'm happy to take a chance on my wife's car and use it for a while - without a service. However MOT is also due on my wide's car in the next several week and we may not be able to get that done. What are the risks?

Hi,

It is likely that the government are going to bring in new temporary rules for MOTs allowing a 3 month leeway.

At present garages are open but in the event they close the above should be in effect.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Likely risk is minimal. Think what a service entails, its really just an oil change and someone looking for other ways to generate income.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
My car is due it’s mot and service in the next couple of weeks, already been told the garage can’t fit me in as their closing to protect their staff (can’t blame them at all with that)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
When I was working through college I took a holiday job on an American airbase. I served gas (er ... petrol), and a VW Beetle came in.
'Gas it up'.
I asked the obligatory trainee question, 'Check the oil?'
I gassed it up, then asked for the key to open the rear engine cover. The guy had never opened it because he didn't have a key.

Almost 100k miles, and never an oil check.
Reckon you've got no worries.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I reckon they will cancel any warranties/guarantees because you are overdue a service :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the same boat here: service D (3;4;6;8 and 12) was booked for this Friday at MB Northampton (about 350 miles remaining).

MOT was booked for Monday, the 30th (due 07/04) ...

Sytner is now in full lockdown, so service is definitely off, but as I did the last one myself (well, I mostly watched Alastair do the job, but still ;)), I know the 229.5 OE oil was used, so not too concerned with a few extra miles ...

MOT is a different matter however - I hope the Government will clarify this issue, before I'm nicked :eek:

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
MOT is a different matter however - I hope the Government will clarify this issue, before I'm nicked :eek:

Just been answered on the BBC, MOT garages should not be shutting so provided you observe proper cleaning and social distancing you should get it done

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Guess many will be in the same boat regarding Mot's.
I have one car due its annual medical on 13th April, so I'm watching the developing situation.
As I can't really go anywhere right now, it's not too important.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In the same boat here: service D (3;4;6;8 and 12) was booked for this Friday at MB Northampton (about 350 miles remaining).

MOT was booked for Monday, the 30th (due 07/04) ...

Sytner is now in full lockdown, so service is definitely off, but as I did the last one myself (well, I mostly watched Alastair do the job, but still ;)), I know the 299.5 OE oil was used, so not too concerned with a few extra miles ...

Replied on another thread. ;)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My Indy is still open at this stage, booked the 500 in for the 14th. Trouble is, it's not an essential repair :( Some garages are staying for essential car repairs, anything trival the garage can cancel. No customers closer than 2 metres, though that will be difficult at times.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
When I was working through college I took a holiday job on an American airbase. I served gas (er ... petrol), and a VW Beetle came in.
'Gas it up'.
I asked the obligatory trainee question, 'Check the oil?'
I gassed it up, then asked for the key to open the rear engine cover. The guy had never opened it because he didn't have a key.

Almost 100k miles, and never an oil check.
Reckon you've got no worries.

wow! They have so little oil in them too. I wonder if he was bullsh1tting you.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My Indy is still open at this stage, booked the 500 in for the 14th. Trouble is, it's not an essential repair :( Some garages are staying for essential car repairs, anything trival the garage can cancel. No customers closer than 2 metres, though that will be difficult at times.

Mine had his front door locked - keys handed over with arms fully stretched and bill paid via bank transfer.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Mine had his front door locked - keys handed over with arms fully stretched and bill paid via bank transfer.

Hope he cleaned the keys and washed his hands..........

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom