C Class engine failure help please

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Does it mention Renault in the sales brochure (and did they send one to your address)? If not, you may have case for misrepresentation.

I must admit, I was surprised to find out that it had a Renault engine some time ago (here on the Forum) and on that basis, I would be likely to buy one if I was in the market.

The hush hush attitude is surprising - I remember Saab used to use the Triumph 1300 engine (1968 I think) and in their adverts they sang its praises and made it a virtue.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Their argument will probably be it's derived from a Renault engine and uses MB components or is a joint venture with Renault as a partner.
I doubt you'd have any redress.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Does it mention Renault in the sales brochure (and did they send one to your address)? If not, you may have case for misrepresentation.

I must admit, I was surprised to find out that it had a Renault engine some time ago (here on the Forum) and on that basis, I would be likely to buy one if I was in the market.

The hush hush attitude is surprising - I remember Saab used to use the Triumph 1300 engine (1968 I think) and in their adverts they sang its praises and made it a virtue.

Thatls like saying you was expecting mercedes brake pads, mercedes air filters, mercedes windows, mercedes tyres. Mercedes engineer and design the cars and work with other parties to meet MB demands/specs.

Merc have been with renaault for a few years for small engines, because merc simply do not and have never made small engined cars, look at thier history.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
It was a used vehicle so didn't have a sales brochure, when you buy a Mercedes you expect a Mercedes not a Renault engine as I said steak v cheeseburger anyway the engine is only the tip of the iceberg considering all the other problems ! If I had wanted a cheap French car I would have bought one but have had Mercedes since 2006 and this was the first smaller engine I had gone for due to semi retirement and not needing a bigger one. May explain why the main bearing went on crankshaft number 4 destroying the engine with only 56,000 on the clock and just over 4 years old with a full history

Last edited:

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Think it’s about time people ask themselves is MB much better than french or Japanese etc. ;; Really.
I am old enough now and drove enough models to know that a large percentage of MB are bought for the badge , and many people could be buying cheaper , more comfortable and just as reliable cars of different
brands. I M O.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Wrong approach Tony.
Being rigid and intransigent will bite you in the end. There comes a point where you have to bend a little. Give the Dealer some slack. Divorce your feelings, which are understandable, from the real world facts.

So it has a Renault-derived engine. That's no rational reason for refusing the car. That's just emotion talking. There will be other parts of the car sourced from a variety of manufacturers - that's the auto business today.

He's told you the car is now fixed and you need to collect it and hand back their loan car. You need to accept that and collect your vehicle. If you don't, they can build a very strong case against you, and begin to charge for their loan car. Probably your car will run well from now on, but if it doesn't you have an even stronger case for taking remedial action. Right now though, your reasons for not doing as the Dealer asks are very weak. You would lose hands down if the Dealer now took you to court.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Whilst that's true there is a certain 'feeling' of quality that a Mercedes gives whether that's real or not.

For example I had Toyota land cruiser that was very comfortable, reliable and well built but there was feeling it wasn't particularly high quality, partly due to the light weight feel of the doors and partly the unconvincing plastics.
There's a certain irony within MB models too in that the 129 feels better quality than the 230, in spite of the 230 having a fully leather clad dash vs the vinyl of the 129. It's very hard to define but MBs have it and many others don't.
It's something the Germans seem to do well.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The Germans do it well because they had to compete with Jaguar in the 80s. The old XJ was a class act all the interior on view was either leather, Wood or chrome I visited Browns lane in the 90s and the trim shop was astonishing you could see where a substantial part of the cost of the car went. Sir John Egan’s reign as chairman in the 80s created a reliable Jaguar product everyone wanted and put the Germans in quite a sweat

Last edited:
OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
So would you have missed work and dropped everything to pick up a car because they told you after 5 and half weeks with no contact and just by chance they were closing for an unknown period of time that day your car was ready when they could have let me know last week that it was done and just on test and hopefully is fully fixed but if it isn't that's tough because we are closed and you will be without a car I DONT THINK SO also if you had seen the whole sage from day one I have been more than reasonable with the dealer not shouted have been polite forceful at times but not rude which got me to where I am now. The service received from dealer is nothing short of disgraceful and I will not them get away with this anymore

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I applaud your hard nosed approach on this the irony is that if more people called out this type of substandard work the service sector would improve dramatically as it is we all have been or are all likely to be victims at some point

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bear in mind that you've owned the car for 18 months, and have put over 20k miles on it in that time. It was second hand and had already covered 35k miles, and you bought it knowing that.
Engines, however normally reliable, do give trouble whoever makes them, and unfortunately your's did.

Certainly the Dealer has treated you badly - although of course we only have your version of events - and you have a genuine gripe because of their poor service, but they tell you they have now fixed the car and had just finished testing it when they were forced to shut because of the restrictions due to this virus. You can't blame them for that. They phoned you with this news, asked for their car back, and made several suggestions to help you collect your car.

It is you who now refuses to hand back their loan car, knowing you might be keeping it for many months yet. The Dealer has every right to charge you for its continued use - even to repossess it if they choose. It's their car, and they've asked for it back.

It is you who refuses to collect your own car, and you could even be landed with the growing cost of leaving it on the Dealer's premises. If it's in the open, it will deteriorate or even get vandalized while on unoccupied ground.

Quite probably these things will not happen, but legally you are now in the wrong. They have a very strong case, and the longer you keep this present stand, the stronger their position becomes and the greater the risks you run.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
As above plus many cars nowadays share common parts, however they label them. Research the product before buying is key.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
Sorry Umble do you work them or something ? What has been written so far is the 100% facts from day one no lies no fabrication of the truth. You are honestly telling me you wouldn't have gone to work dropped everything and gone to pick the car up the minute they phoned after no contact from them for 5 and half weeks what planet are you on, unless you work for them. The reason the amount I ended paying was so reduced was because of in the general managers words the way I approached and conducted myself. Since them telling on the 7th of February the car ready and 100% all ok it hasn't worked properly. There were also a number of issues apart from the engine that weren't right is the bonnet didn't fit the heater wasn't right and the steering wheel was set in an off position none of these things were wrong before it went in. So let's follow your theory and pick it up after they closed and one of those things aren't done or there is another problem with the engine I then don't have a car until they open again which I need as a keyworker in these difficult times. After the way I have been treated since last September you are talking out of you know where. You honestly think a Mercedes engine with a full service history from a Mercedes dealer and only 56,000 miles on it should blow up a main bearing causing that much damage it recks the whole engine after 18 months of ownership and only doing 20,000 miles max you are living in cloud nine mate. Buy a Mercedes from a dealer pay proper money for it and then 18 months later pay £4,000 towards a new engine get real mate

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Sorry Umble do you work them or something ? What has been written so far is the 100% facts from day one no lies no fabrication of the truth. You are honestly telling me you wouldn't have gone to work dropped everything and gone to pick the car up the minute they phoned after no contact from them for 5 and half weeks what planet are you on, unless you work for them. The reason the amount I ended paying was so reduced was because of in the general managers words the way I approached and conducted myself. Since them telling on the 7th of February the car ready and 100% all ok it hasn't worked properly. There were also a number of issues apart from the engine that weren't right is the bonnet didn't fit the heater wasn't right and the steering wheel was set in an off position none of these things were wrong before it went in. So let's follow your theory and pick it up after they closed and one of those things aren't done or there is another problem with the engine I then don't have a car until they open again which I need as a keyworker in these difficult times. After the way I have been treated since last September you are talking out of you know where. You honestly think a Mercedes engine with a full service history from a Mercedes dealer and only 56,000 miles on it should blow up a main bearing causing that much damage it recks the whole engine after 18 months of ownership and only doing 20,000 miles max you are living in cloud nine mate. Buy a Mercedes from a dealer pay proper money for it and then 18 months later pay £4,000 towards a new engine get real mate
I know you’re angry and upset, Tony, but that sort of post is not going to win you any friends on here.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tony, why don’t you suggest having it independently tested by (say) one of motoring organisations before you will accept it back? if they say it’s still faulty, it will strengthen your case conversely if they say it’s okay you can feel assrred, Sounds like a win-win to me...

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It’s a mechanical object and can break at anytime. It’s not a Mercedes engine, it’s just badged Mercedes (even so some mb engines aren’t that good)
It could have been abused by the previous owner??? Who knows.
You could have collected it after hours, given it a good road test and when you are happy with it, post the keys back for loan car. If not happy, leave you car there and keep loan car.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But at least a couple of faults must have originated in the Worksop eg: Steering Wheel in wrong position (shows how well it was road-tested!) and Bonnet crooked (who checked it and said it was “ready”?)... I’ll bet not one of our known Indy’s would send a repaired car out like that.

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Think it’s about time people ask themselves is MB much better than french or Japanese etc. ;; Really.
I am old enough now and drove enough models to know that a large percentage of MB are bought for the badge , and many people could be buying cheaper , more comfortable and just as reliable cars of different
brands. I M O.

Power of branding I am afraid.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So would you have missed work and dropped everything to pick up a car because they told you after 5 and half weeks with no contact and just by chance they were closing for an unknown period of time that day your car was ready when they could have let me know last week that it was done and just on test and hopefully is fully fixed but if it isn't that's tough because we are closed and you will be without a car I DONT THINK SO also if you had seen the whole sage from day one I have been more than reasonable with the dealer not shouted have been polite forceful at times but not rude which got me to where I am now. The service received from dealer is nothing short of disgraceful and I will not them get away with this anymore

I think you are being too emotional and letting this cloud things, If it was me I would have collected the car, had anthing further gone wrong then you hold the aces.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tony, if you attacked the dealer with the attitude and language pattern with which you have personally attacked me here, then I'm not surprised that they are reluctant to interact with you.

My comments to you were aimed at helping with the problem, not making a personal attack. I've given my views here Tony - and there are others on this forum who feel the same - and I stand by the logic of what I've said.

I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom