MOT Extension

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Recently here I NI we had same problem with lift faults cancelling all MOT,s. DVLA online tax took about 2 weeks to play catch up to the MOT crisis, after that I could tax my car online. I think only after your MOT exemption certificate is issued in the post which is probably close to your test end date can you then tax your car online if it follows the NI DVLA rules. I rang insurance company to inform them of exemption form and they said its ok to drive the vehicle as long as its roadworthy as somebody else stated on the thread. Another get out clause for insurance companies:rolleyes: , I bet if you had an accident a blown bulb might be enough for them to walk away

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Just had my daughters Corsa pass Its MOT yesterday (serviced whilst it was in at out local village garage)

Whilst walking /exercising back, the DVSA finally announced the extension....

Still, it's done.

However, that garage closed yesterday due to losing their second MOT tester, being 50% down on staff and assessing that working inside people's cars was exposing staff to unnecessary hazard at this time. I hope he will have a business to reopen.....

He did say thay the 6 month extension kills his business as vast majority of bookings are joint MOT and service or follow up work. With many 'normal' people not spending on their cars unless they have to, safety standards will be poor on cars once we all get to go out and about.

This will be further impacted by people having reduced incomes and opting not to maintain or repair their car until it stops or perhaps, doesn't stop....

Normal service will not resume for many months on our roads as catch up occurs.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
My car is due its mot on April 1st so after reading this ,i think it is best that i ring the garage involved and see if things are going through on the mot test side . Rather get it done now than have to wait another 6 months .

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Our car was due in FEB. I got a 6 month extension because of the lift problems in MOT centres, but now with the corona virus shutting them again i could now be possibly looking at a year since the car had a valid MOT:rolleyes:. I just serviced it yesterday, fitted front pads and replaced the radiator so at least I know its roadworthy hopefully for at least the next 6 months.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
My car is due its mot on April 1st so after reading this ,i think it is best that i ring the garage involved and see if things are going through on the mot test side . Rather get it done now than have to wait another 6 months .
Why, you qualify for the 6 month extension.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
From the 30th of March, DVSA will look at you expiry date and if it is due within the next 7 days, they will extend it for six months.

This will be done in batches every 7 days and not all at once, which would be a mammoth task.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
Mine would expire on the 12 th April but garage said bring it in on the 1st April .

If you are self isolating and don't want to go out and use your car, you can let DVSA extend your expiry date for another six months.

If you go to your garage today, you will get the expiry date of 12th April next year, but you could potentially spread the virus unnecessarily.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom