C Class engine failure help please

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
Tony,have you thought about looking on the Renault forums just too see if the vehicles with your particular engine have suffered similar problems or maybe the Dacia forums as they also use Renault engines,i see what you are saying you bought a Mercedes so expect a Mercedes engine but times have changed in the motor industry and to keep costs down a whole host of platforms and engines etc are shared, I think you have had some very good advice on here so far and I hope you get a resolution to your issue,i see you mention you are a keyworker during this awful time for everybody and I applaud you for going to work everyday please don't spoil your reputation by being aggressive towards people on here you post on a forum and unfortuneatley you are not going to like all of the responses its the nature of the beast.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Tony, if you attacked the dealer with the attitude and language pattern with which you have personally attacked me here, then I'm not surprised that they are reluctant to interact with you.

My comments to you were aimed at helping with the problem, not making a personal attack. I've given my views here Tony - and there are others on this forum who feel the same - and I stand by the logic of what I've said.

I hope it all works out for you in the end.

...............and they all lived happily ever after!

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
Must be a common problem.
Recovered a C200d 2016 (60K mileage) last night from the motorway.
Engine knocking like a good one.
Not sure if it was a Mercedes or Renault engine Merc.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
Now that's interesting Exmertech would love to know the cause of that one !

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
difficult , having not seen the engine but,main bearings fail rarely from manufacturing defects more often thru oil starvation ,i would not expect just one main to fail ,unless and i assume you are referring to a main bearing , the bearing span in its seating , for this to happen the bearing tangs would have to be flattened, one of the few ways for this to happen is for the cap to have loosened.(bolts not tight ) are you in a position to post pictures of the bearings ? if the dealer wants to write of the eng i think it likely that the bearing spun damaging the block .if not, a crank oil pump and bearings ought to resolve the issue or the dealer is not interested in a repair due to warranty issues and workload ,if they fit a replacement eng benz will carry the warranty not the dealer. or at least i think so ?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Regarding bearings - one of my cars is an MX5. They have an excellent name for reliability, but now and then you see one advertised very cheap because a big end bearing has gone.

It seems that, although the engine enjoys being driven hard, it runs a bearing if habitually red-lined. Damage can remain undetected for many miles, but eventually that is the consequence. Who can say, if they buy a second-hand car, whether or not the previous owner has already done hidden damage to the engine.

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
Will never know the outcome.
Members car dropped off to his parents house.
Possibly going to dealer in the next week or so.
Company policy states we can not contact members after recovery.

difficult , having not seen the engine but,main bearings fail rarely from manufacturing defects more often thru oil starvation ,i would not expect just one main to fail ,unless and i assume you are referring to a main bearing , the bearing span in its seating , for this to happen the bearing tangs would have to be flattened, one of the few ways for this to happen is for the cap to have loosened.(bolts not tight ) are you in a position to post pictures of the bearings ? if the dealer wants to write of the eng i think it likely that the bearing spun damaging the block .if not, a crank oil pump and bearings ought to resolve the issue or the dealer is not interested in a repair due to warranty issues and workload ,if they fit a replacement eng benz will carry the warranty not the dealer. or at least i think so ?

Mercedes had a recall on the 642 V6 engine front main bearing replacement

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Will never know the outcome.
Members car dropped off to his parents house.
Possibly going to dealer in the next week or so.
Company policy states we can not contact members after recovery.

Mercedes had a recall on the 642 V6 engine front main bearing replacement

word was rarely,not never.

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
Never know the answer on this one.

I have no interest in knowing why his engine screwed up.
I also know which dealer is having the Merc once the lockdown is over.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom