Engine cutting out after 60 seconds

Rajan Singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 Cabriolet 1993 E220
Hi, I have recently put a running E220 petrol coupe engine into a Cabriolet and have had some issues with the cabby now choking it self after 60 seconds or so and struggling to now even start, I have checked all vac pipes and checked the sender unit which had abit of corrosion round it. The fuel pump etc is working fine no leaks or anything, I put £25 of fuel in there today and the needle kept on moving even tho it choked itself after 60 seconds - would it be worth changing the fuel tank filter? The OVP has been changed out of another 320 I own and the fuel pump relay but still not change? Any ideas what it could be or what else I could try whilst at home with the covid 19 pandemic going on?

Thanks in advance

Raj

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Have you checked the fuel flow closer to the engine?
Was the tank completely empty? If so some muck could have got picked up. To cure that, get the fuel pump to run in reverse for a little while after putting some more fuel in if possible.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Rajan did you fit the vacuum pipe from engine to gearbox . Also all the parts that you put on this car must have the exact same numbers on the new part as the one you remove . Because it looks like it is not the way to go I can see you used 320 parts on some replacments they are not the same,, and swaping out and fitting the wrong ones will damage the vital ucu

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Dont replace prts because they just look the same if the numbers dont match the one your swaping it for then dont use it . Would this new engine have a cat on it ?.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Possible exhaust blockage ?? , just loosen exhaust at manifold and then see if it will run longer.

OP
R

Rajan Singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 Cabriolet 1993 E220
Hi all I have had the car checked and it needed to be re coded as the ECU came from a coupé to a cabriolet so the car now runs however a gear adjustment is needed but that's minor. I will get the codes soon and post here. Thanks for your help all
I will also attach the document with the diagnostic information.

Top Bottom