w245 battery dies every night.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
They are repairable and you can check this out on youtube also ..Its the best way to do it ,,no one can explain to you how its done and its quicker to see it for yourself. But the price of a new one is worth checking out first .

OP
B

baber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w169 a150 petrol 2006
theres theres someone local to me selling one for £35. just wanted to know if it matters if they are from petrol/diesel/a-class/b-class etc or if any coding would be required?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The number will be on your old unit. And it is so important that the new part will have the very same number so it will be identical to yours . It might look like this

Attachments

• HYTTTTTT.jpg
    HYTTTTTT.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 15

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above - no coding (as far as I know), but must be the same part number.

Here's a proper fuse assignment guide, unlike the "dumbed down" consumer version you find in the battery compartment - I found it extremely useful (169 is slightly different) - some of my gadgets are powered from unused 15R slots, which I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

And relays :)

Attachments

• W245 Fuse assignment of fuse box in interior compartment.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 13
  • W245 Relay assignment of relay and fuse box in passenger-side interior.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 10

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just in case you decide to be brave and repair it ... ;)

It's not too far fetched, you know - I once got really upset my car didn't have adaptive brake light system, so designed and built my own. Had it manufactured by a top electronics outfit, even tried to make it into business, which ended in disaster of course, given the cost :rolleyes: but the gadget works perfectly well nonetheless o_O

Attachments

• W245 Wiring diagram for interior relay box (K100).pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 10
  • W245 Wiring diagram for signal acquisition and actuation module (SAM) control unit part1.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 11
  • W245 Wiring diagram for signal acquisition and actuation module (SAM) control unit part2.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 9

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Cars usually has options/equipments coded in SAMs (of course depending which SAM), and if certain option is missing in sam configuration, it won't be able to control it. Car will run ok but you are missing some equipment functions - differences of donor car and your car (for example rear sunshade, powered tailgate etc). I am not famiiar is there any difference in W245 options.

OP
B

baber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w169 a150 petrol 2006
As above - no coding (as far as I know), but must be the same part number.

Here's a proper fuse assignment guide, unlike the "dumbed down" consumer version you find in the battery compartment - I found it extremely useful (169 is slightly different) - some of my gadgets are powered from unused 15R slots, which I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

And relays :)

thanks very much for these.

as for repairing the Sam unit, I haven't got the tools or the space or the knowledge to do board repairs. although I can see no signs of damage to the circuit board.
I have ordered another sam for £30 delivered.

OP
B

baber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w169 a150 petrol 2006
so I got the new Sam unit. fitted it. still getting a fluctuating reading upto 1.4amps.

does the sam unit control anything in the engine bay at all?
driving me a bit crazy now.

unplugged 1plug from the same and getting a steady reading of 3milliamps.

@GLK I have looked at the wiring diagrams, but I'm no electrician so don't really know what I'm looking at, but I think the plug is E3 as I matched a few cable colours to that which looks like the circuit for all the exterior lighting?

disconnected all the lights, will go and check the meter in a bit.

Last edited:
OP
B

baber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w169 a150 petrol 2006
this plug is the one where I'm getting a draw from. as said I think it's the one for the lighting circuits?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-161835.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-161835.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 16

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I'm stuck on trying to remove the dash at the moment. its all loose and moves about but feels like there are some clips holding stopping it from coming out.

making a water tight car ,should NOT be rocket science.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
No but the older they get the more chances for window and roof seals to let water in . I use a produce thats made for caravans on my screen seal ,, name of is Captain Jacks Creeping Crack .And no this is not an April joke ha ha . It is white going on but goes clear as it dries and serplus can be removed . The first sealer i used was brilliant ,and that was Comma Seek and Seal if you see a tin of this its worth its weight in gold. ☮☮☮☮

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have looked at the wiring diagrams, but I'm no electrician so don't really know what I'm looking at, but I think the plug is E3 as I matched a few cable colours to that which looks like the circuit for all the exterior lighting?

disconnected all the lights, will go and check the meter in a bit.
E3 is normally a left rear light assembly?
Here's another couple of files, to make it clearer ... or more muddled as the case might be ;)

Also found dash removal WIS - obviously under a different name haha.

Attachments

• Colour designations in wiring diagrams.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 7
  • W245 Exterior lights wiring diagram.pdf
    142 KB · Views: 6
  • W245 Abbreviations of signal and circuit designations for wiring diagrams.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
  • W245 Location and assignment of line and plug connectors, engine compartment, right.pdf
    294.7 KB · Views: 11
  • W245 Location and assignment of line and plug connectors, interior compartment, right.pdf
    509.3 KB · Views: 12
  • W245 Location and assignment of Z connector sleeves - cockpit.pdf
    197.7 KB · Views: 10
  • W245 Location and assignment of Z connector sleeves - interior right.pdf
    277.4 KB · Views: 11
  • W245 Remove_install instrument panel.pdf
    467.1 KB · Views: 6

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No but the older they get the more chances for window and roof seals to let water in . I use a produce thats made for caravans on my screen seal ,, name of is Captain Jacks Creeping Crack .And no this is not an April joke ha ha . It is white going on but goes clear as it dries and serplus can be removed . The first sealer i used was brilliant ,and that was Comma Seek and Seal if you see a tin of this its worth its weight in gold. ☮☮☮☮
Never heard of either name, saving your post for future reference, thanks!

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
We used a lot of this C/J/C/C in the caravan repair shop where i worked back in 2000 .Caravans are ok from new , but after a few years on the road, and sitting in the hot sun, like down the coast .The sealant dries out,, and when the van is towed it will opens up the seals along the awning rails. Every caravan that i owned ,, up to 2018 i used this sealant on it to seal the awning rails. The job was done every 12 months brfore i put the van away in to storage for the winter. Selant is very good today but i found it was the rail side it would split away from first and part company .We are only talking minute cracks . The sealant from Comma was the best one, it went on clear penetrated the crack ,even ones you could not see .And then after it had cured you removed the excess off the screen with white methalated spirits ,but i have used white spirits as long as you neutralise it after.

Xhemal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180/2005/W169
found that the Bluetooth module (I think) its fried. that's 1 thing done.

there was a bit of a puddle in the rear foot Wells. but all underside of all the carpets were soaking.

I belive this would have come from the heater blower intake so I'm currently stripping out the dash, then will take a look at all the electronics on the heater system.

will take a look at the altenator later on. View attachment 56869 View attachment 56868 View attachment 56867
where did you find this ? I have battery drain too, maybe removing this will stop it ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom