Only Autoglym from now on...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Yes they are Tony, however they are still not to my satisfaction and due to the Covid 19 everyone who can help me sort them, as I need a bit of heat to straighten them up, is closed and I'm kind of stuck with them looking not right.

*uckin' *issed off about that I am.

The only good thing is that they have changed the exhaust note to a deeper, lovely rip when I am giving it some beans. Nothing OTT I might add just a lovely sound. View attachment 57375 View attachment 57376 View attachment 57377

As you can see from these shots both tips are turned in slightly to the centre of the car, sorry for the poor light, I literally just nipped out and took these photos two minutes ago (20-55 hrs) and it's starting to get dark o'clock up here in Bonnie Scotland.

I reckon a little bit of heat on the main pipes on both sides and a wee push, only an inch for both tips, and they will be sitting perfectly.

I am learning to be patient, ok, I have been forced to learn to be patient. It really *isses me off though as it spoils the effect, these tips look and sound so much better than the ones that came with the car.

Are they not a bolt on trim???, mine are, there is an allan key that holds them on to the main exhaust so easy to adjust

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Are they not a bolt on trim???, mine are, there is an allan key that holds them on to the main exhaust so easy to adjust

Someone had modified the exhaust before I got the car Jon to make it look like a quad pipe system a lá AMG.
I've never liked it, it didn't look right as the quad pipes were too long (imho) and I wanted to try to get it back to looking like as near as possible the O.E. system..

When I looked at the prices of the back box and tips it was exorbitant to replace them, for what was basically a cosmetic job, so, I started looking around for a set of tips and happened to mention on the forum what I was up to and low and behold SmartAMG (Tony) very kindly offered me these tips if I paid for the postage. Obviously I accepted his gracious offer as these tips are as near as damn it, a perfect match to the original system.

The previous owner/modifier had cut of the O.E. stuf and did a rather messy welding job of the change however it looked ok (if you liked that sort of thing) from the outside, it wasn't untill I tried to remove them that the fun started.

I had to cut them off with a grinder which given the lack of room wasn't much fun at all, plus the lumps of weld that were left on the pipe from the original ham fisted conversion made positioning them properly nigh on impossible. I got them on as straight as I could and all I need to do now, is heat the pipes and bent them approx. an inch for the tips to be sitting perfectly.

The joys of modification when you don't have access to the equipment you need. :rolleyes:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I have something similar on my SLK - but no black outer ring, all red, and a very close match to the Fire Opal Red of the car. I think they look really good! I've just acquired a genuine unused set of mudflaps (black) for her as well, the rear ones have SLK in decent sized letters on them so I've ordered some touch-up paint and intend to paint the letters before installing them.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I have something similar on my SLK - but no black outer ring, all red, and a very close match to the Fire Opal Red of the car. I think they look really good! I've just acquired a genuine unused set of mudflaps (black) for her as well, the rear ones have SLK in decent sized letters on them so I've ordered some touch-up paint and intend to paint the letters before installing them.

Don't forget to post some pics when you're finished! ;)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It may be a while! Very little room once car is in garage, fitting instructions start with removing appropriate wheel - close to impossible in garage, although I have seen posts on SLKWorld where they said it was not necessary to remove wheel. Not even worth trying for a photo of the wheel centres!

You may have to remind me!:D:D:D

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Halfords is shut lol !

And apart from my own brands, there is a LOT of better stuff out there now

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
You sure, Halfords is shut,
St Helens isn't, you can't go in,
but tell them what you want at the door, and they'll go and get it for you, payment by card only, I got some Autoglym stuff the other day. :)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why are we not surprised at you buying car fettling stuff!!:D:D:D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Are you painting the black mud-flap letters in a colour:eek:? Don't do it mate - that is for lorries......:)

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you painting the black mud-flap letters in a colour:eek:?

Yes - in Fire Opal Red! Lorries will see it when I've blasted past them! Anyway, I'll see what I think of it when I eventually get the opportunity to fit them, which could be a while away, and if I don't like it then paint stripper will solve that! What may happen is that I do the OS as I can, in the garage, just about get that wheel off to fit the mud flap, we'll see how enthusiastic i get!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom