Old tools.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
It amused me to find the tool on the right is called a Gentleman's Saw!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It amused me to find the tool on the right is called a Gentleman's Saw!

Now I know as well. I'd better give it to a gentleman....:)

I bought those and a "Stanley Yankee" screwdriver at a model club auction (20 years ago) because they reminded me of my granddad. They Yankee has been half inched a somepoint during my many moves.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty sure I still have one in one of the toolboxes in the garage - I have 2 of my own, plus my Dad's and his Dad's, so lots of places for tools to hide!

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
still got the green bosch drill I bought in 1979 (on the ,at the time) fiances birthday!!! and ref kenwood mixers, I was taking some rubbish to the tip. our one has big skips with steps and platforms between each bin. just as i was coming down the steps having just thrown my rubbish in the skip there was a lady going up with two kenwood glass mixing bowls, brain didnt engage till exactly half a nanosecond after she had let go and the bowls crashed into the skip..... damn i said or similiar!!1

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
My question after reading all this is can anyone make a car from b&d drills and kenwood chefs as it seems it would last forever :)
Didnt back to the futures de lorean have a kenwood chef on the rear tailgate ?
I have a sharp microwave that is 25 yrs old, gets used A LOT as a single guy.. and i hate cooking...

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My question after reading all this is can anyone make a car from b&d drills and kenwood chefs as it seems it would last forever :)
I have a sharp microwave that is 25 yrs old, gets used A LOT as a single guy.. and i hate cooking...

I think Dyson tried to make one out of a vacuum cleaner and a hair dryer.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Modern stuff, designed obsolescence, quicker to assemble........... There is a move to force companies to make everything "repairable".

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
There is a move to force companies to make everything "repairable".

Doesnt that make more sense? you buy an item and it craps out, next time you buy you wont buy the same brand again..
but if you could easily get a spare then maybe you would repair as the cheaper option..

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Doesnt that make more sense? you buy an item and it craps out, next time you buy you wont buy the same brand again..
but if you could easily get a spare then maybe you would repair as the cheaper option..

Depends if you are a saver or waster. I hate it if my e.g. washer needs a simple pump but cannot be repaired because it is plasticised into another unrelated component and plastic welded to the frame making it impossible to repair..

We are living with a generation who cannot actually do anything to help themselves and normally get on the phone to get an "expert" to fix the kettle or bin it and buy a new one.....:mad:.

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
Depends if you are a saver or waster. I hate it if my e.g. washer needs a simple pump but cannot be repaired because it is plasticised into another unrelated component and plastic welded to the frame making it impossible to repair..

We are living with a generation who cannot actually do anything to help themselves and normally get on the phone to get an "expert" to fix the kettle or bin it and buy a new one.....:mad:.

Its how the world needs things to work. Unless you are continuously buying stuff, bigger, better, newer, more fashionable, faster etc etc, the world stops turning. There are armies out there dedicated to making you need and want things you couldn't imagine yourself.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

That's one reason we like Miele washing machines. They guarantee spares availability for 20 years after they stop making a product, plus they are designed for a 20 year life. Our first one, in 23 years, had 1 call-out for a small problem then another at 23 years old when the main programmer went up in flames. Spare was available, but cost to repair was £350 so opted instead to spend another £100 and get a brand new machine that was more capable and economic - that was 12 years ago, new machine has (so far touch wood) been faultless, gets reasonable use, and would not be surprised if it outlasts us!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Its how the world needs things to work. Unless you are continuously buying stuff, bigger, better, newer, more fashionable, faster etc etc, the world stops turning. There are armies out there dedicated to making you need and want things you couldn't imagine yourself.

I'm not hooked into consumerism.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
That's one reason we like Miele washing machines. They guarantee spares availability for 20 years after they stop making a product, plus they are designed for a 20 year life. Our first one, in 23 years, had 1 call-out for a small problem then another at 23 years old when the main programmer went up in flames. Spare was available, but cost to repair was £350 so opted instead to spend another £100 and get a brand new machine that was more capable and economic - that was 12 years ago, new machine has (so far touch wood) been faultless, gets reasonable use, and would not be surprised if it outlasts us!

Mieles high parts and labour prices help to bring about the premature scrapping of many viable appliances.

It's not helpful for the environment.

I have quite a few of their things around the house.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't agree about Miele high prices! Original washing machine in 1985 was about £300, the one repair was somewhat less than £100, the replacement in 2005/6 was £450 and is still going strong and so far (touches wood rapidly) has been fault free. Compared to the original washer/dryer we bought in about 1980 for £250 that went up in flames in 1985 and was not repairable, IMHO the Miele is excellent VFM!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Emily keeps leaving & returning ..... she's in one back room & all her stuff is in another! But to give her her due she's saving hard to buy her own house .... :D
Our son went to uni in 1994 & never returned, friends ask how we did it!
He rented a room in a friends house for a while, & I kept telling him to buy his own place. Eventually in 2001 he found somewhere but said he didn't have the deposit. We covered that & now he has almost paid off his mortgauge.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Don't agree about Miele high prices! Original washing machine in 1985 was about £300, the one repair was somewhat less than £100, the replacement in 2005/6 was £450 and is still going strong and so far (touches wood rapidly) has been fault free. Compared to the original washer/dryer we bought in about 1980 for £250 that went up in flames in 1985 and was not repairable, IMHO the Miele is excellent VFM!
In 1999 a friend of mine who worked for Hoover said he could get me a washing machine 25% less than market price delivered. I had it not expecting great things from it. In the last 20 years all I have done is replace the brushes in the pump motor, & the hot/cold servo. Then last December It wouldn't always go into final spin on the program, so time to change bought a Bosch. I had great service out of the Hoover for 20 years, something I was not expecting.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
As well as spares availability they also need to be fairly priced rather than to fleece you as much as possible.
Take two diesel engines.. A yanmar and an old english morris.. Yanmar water pump £320, morris £47. Yanmar timing belt -£600+, toyota for same engine -£47 ???
Yanmar makes thousands of engines so production of parts must be lots cheaper.. the old morris has very few making parts today yet the morris parts are really cheap ?
Why do merecedes thermostats have to come with a built in aluminium housing? What happened to just getting a thermostat ?
What was this thread about again ? ;)

I have a pfaff industrial sewing machine, made in 1970 something, works faultlessly even though it must have had a hard life some years back..

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom