Help! Water spots!

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Ok, I’m a novice on the finer points of car detailing and surprise, surprise, I thought I’d give my BLACK E-class a quick rinse off and clean the wheels etc. Well the wheels look ok, but it was sunny and warm and the water spots look worse than the dirt did!
I’ve got a cheapie random orbital polisher and mild cutting stuff is this the way forward?

(Before I need a total respray!)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd wash it again and dry it with a leather, alternatively a quick application of polish by hand and dust it off

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Ok, I’m a novice on the finer points of car detailing and surprise, surprise, I thought I’d give my BLACK E-class a quick rinse off and clean the wheels etc. Well the wheels look ok, but it was sunny and warm and the water spots look worse than the dirt did!
I’ve got a cheapie random orbital polisher and mild cutting stuff is this the way forward?

(Before I need a total respray!)
A hot topic for many on the forum and I would estimate this question is worth at least three pages... happy reading :)! my advice would be to set out your stall first and decide just how much in money and more importantly, time you wish or have to spend achieving the finish you desire, for what it's worth and if there were a competition for the best finished car on the forum, my vote would be for @RhodieBill and his methods as the finish he produces are second to none!

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Wash the car again with car shampoo. Don't do it in the heat of the day, choose early morning or early evening. Dry it with microfibre cloths. For an easy finish use a quick detailer, doing one panel at a time. It goes on and polishes off so easily it won't feel like much work.

The only danger with this procedure is that your car will look good. That'll start to make you wonder how to make it look even better. Soon you'll have a mountain of car cosmetics and you'll be spending so much time on your car that it'll be reasonable grounds for divorce.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
What car shampoo are you using,
Cloudy is best for washing and not in the glaring sunshine.

Mild cutting sounds too abrasice a polish and wax will suffice

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
As said above, suddenly “just washing a car” becomes a big thing, more stuff, more time, more debates.

As for water marks, I put a drop of Johnson’s blue baby wash in the bucket I use to rinse it off. I then dry it with a micro fibre towel..
Leave the “sander” in it’s box for a while and have a read up on bits, what people use and when. Lots of info on here and on detailing sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
A hot topic for many on the forum and I would estimate this question is worth at least three pages... happy reading :)! my advice would be to set out your stall first and decide just how much in money and more importantly, time you wish or have to spend achieving the finish you desire, for what it's worth and if there were a competition for the best finished car on the forum, my vote would be for @RhodieBill and his methods as the finish he produces are second to none!

WOW! What can I say....... That really made my day! - No Month!!!

Thank you sir - far too generous. but humbly accepted. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This will also work, and is slightly cheaper initially.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I had watermarks on the SL that were not corroded/etched into the paint. A bit of diluted vinegar for a few minutes and then a rub with a lubricated clay mitt - job done

OP
Frosty149

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Thanks all!
So a shampoo and chamois leather (old school!) lots of elbow grease and no more water marks - I did wait until the late afternoon and the cooler temperatures.
Wax polish yet to be applied, but relieved to be honest...

Attachments

• 89B3880D-BAD2-4A0E-8D47-B51C387BE608.jpeg
    89B3880D-BAD2-4A0E-8D47-B51C387BE608.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 20

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Thanks all!
So a shampoo and chamois leather (old school!) lots of elbow grease and no more water marks - I did wait until the late afternoon and the cooler temperatures.
Wax polish yet to be applied, but relieved to be honest...

The method in reply #11 involves no elbow grease ......:):D

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
This is when the sun heats the ran drops up , and the rain droplet then finds its way through and in to your polish ,,or even in to the paint . Some water marks you can only hide them with polish .But will only show up once again after the polish you used gets wet after more rain. So one lesson learned , dont wash you car, or put water on the bodywork in warm sun light .

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That is the Lesson/Rule that comes before any other!!!

I often wash the car in full sun. I have no shaded place I can wash the car until the evening. As long as you are quick in drying it off there is never an issue with water spots :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I often wash the car in full sun. I have no shaded place I can wash the car. As long as you are quick in drying it off there is never an issue with water spots :)
Same here , just keep hosing the car to prevent the water drying on the bodywork , then act quickly with the drying process

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Do as you like,. Me a cool day, or early evening after tea . i had this problem on my Himber Snipe going back some time now .Embasy maroon was the colour ,and i washed it in the sun .What a mess after , and i never let it sit, it was a right mess . See my car in the avitar .You know what,, and i bet you wont believe what i am about to tell you , that i have washed that car 4 times in -5 years. Polished it so many times i have lost count .And you wont find 31 year car aay cleaner anywhere in the UK .Every time it rains i go out right away and leather it off . It can rain 6 times a day, and i will dry the car off each time .She is never dirty enough to wash . And above all this , the car is never in my garage .Reason is the war depot [wife] beat me to the garage when we mived in .At the time i had sold my trusty DSC05372.JPG Volvo .

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Do as you like,. Me a cool day, or early evening after tea . i had this problem on my Himber Snipe going back some time now .Embasy maroon was the colour ,and i washed it in the sun .What a mess after , and i never let it sit, it was a right mess . See my car in the avitar .You know what,, and i bet you wont believe what i am about to tell you , that i have washed that car 4 times in -5 years. Polished it so many times i have lost count .And you wont find 31 year car aay cleaner anywhere in the UK .Every time it rains i go out right away and leather it off . It can rain 6 times a day, and i will dry the car off each time .She is never dirty enough to wash . And above all this , the car is never in my garage .Reason is the war depot [wife] beat me to the garage when we mived in .At the time i had sold my trusty View attachment 57624 Volvo .

I do this sometimes aswell - if the car was clean to begin with..... Saves the dust collecting on the rain and being left behind after the rain has evaporated. As you say, saves washing the car endlessly! :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom