R230 SL steering wheel adjustment

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
The steering wheel on my SL will adjust up and down. But nothing happens if I move the lever towards or away from me. I am making the assumption if it can move up and down then the fuse is fine.

Anyone had a similar issue?

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Just wanted to bump this up in case anyone might have a potential fix. Again the wheel will move up and down but not towards or away from me.

Not a pressing issue under any circumstances but I am a tall driver and the wheel is just ever so slightly a little further away from me than I would ideally like!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I seem to recall the motor can jam and that the fix was s healthy 'tap' on the wheel would free it but don't quote me on that!

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Thanks LK – I might give that a try this afternoon. Perhaps starting with a light tap and working my way up...

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
depending where the wheel is (in or out) grab hold of the wheel, push (or pull) the rim while pressing the button the appropriate way - it should then move. Keep the button pressed until it gets to the full extent, then push it the other way & see it all the way back

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
depending where the wheel is (in or out) grab hold of the wheel, push (or pull) the rim while pressing the button the appropriate way - it should then move. Keep the button pressed until it gets to the full extent, then push it the other way & see it all the way back

thanks for the help guys, unfortunately no dice.

I tried both the healthy tap method, and pulling/pushing the wheel while activating the lever, but no such luck :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
thanks for the help guys, unfortunately no dice.

I tried both the healthy tap method, and pulling/pushing the wheel while activating the lever, but no such luck :(
Possibly a duff motor or wiring. Might be worth poking around any connections.
When you operate the switch do you get a click from a relay at all?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Might need normalising.

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55

No nothing unfortunately. Just a sigh of disappointment!

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Sorry Kiwi, I was wrong. I tried again today and this time I did hear a faint clicking sound.
What might this mean?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Kiwi, I was wrong. I tried again today and this time I did hear a faint clicking sound.
What might this mean?
Clicking is the relay operating telling the motor to do something. The fact it isn't suggests one of the following:
Bad relay
Bad wiring to motor
Bad motor.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Which needs Star to do, do these steering columns have serviceable parts or is it a replacement unit if it’s goosed ?

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Thank you guys. Car is due in for a service anyway so hopefully soon once the lockdown is eased I can get to the bottom of this.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I have a similar issue but it's the up/down movement that has stopped working on mine. I can hear a click when the switch is operated but no movement. Would the aforementioned tapping do any good. There's two fuses that work the steering column one in the engine compartment and one behind the driver's seat,that I can't get into as mentioned in another thread. HELP:confused:

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I seem to have got mine working now,I tried the tapping bit but that didn't seem to do anything. So I went into settings on steering wheel for the instrument cluster and turned entry exit assist on and it is now working. So that might be something for neeklaus to try.

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
I think mine turned out to be a fuse – Alex at AMF sorted it for me.

Glad to hear you found a fix!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom