E43 - RUN FLATS OR CONVENTIONAL

OP
E

E43Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG E43 2018 3.0V6 BiTurbo 4-matic
Hi Malcolm,
The crabbing, when it happens is really disconcerting, it does feel like the tyres will rip off the wheels....BUT it only really happens when the tyres are cold, on full lock so limited effect. Pulling into a tight parking spot can mean that the car feels like it'll skip into the side of the adjacent vehicle but thats one for the driver! A rapid exit into a stream of traffic in cold weather, again can be a bit disconcerting, can be managed though.....
Other threads I have seen is that winter tyres make it much better in the colder weather of course along with the safety benefits. I don't have direct experience though......
Its the one downside for me......BUT I wouldn't let it put me off buying another, might make me look at other brands but I think I would probably end up back at MB.
All the best
Chris

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I would echo a lot of what Chris said from my experience with my 43 although I have yet to get those sort of mpg figures on the motorway! You can’t really use this amount of power in the UK so I never feel jealous when I see a 63. Crabbing is a minor issue for me (19 inch wheels), only when tyres are cold in cold weather. No sign of it these days now it is warmer.

Actually Chris, you may well find it’s better next winter without the run-flats.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The crabbing is the result of MB rejigging (and screwing up) the front suspension geometry to make room for the 4wd system. There's a part of the suspension design called Ackermann angle and that's the root of the problem.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom