Soft Close - Which Models / Years?

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Aventgarde, (2005) CLK 320 AMG Convertible, (2002)
Hi everybody,

My search for a cheap/reasonable C or E Class estate continues and I am now swaying more towards the E Class despite advice to the contrary!

I just wanted to know which models, (C and/or E Class), and from what date this option became available as I have only ever seen one single reference to it, (in an advert for an E Class estate), and I have now read lots of adverts!

I fully appreciate that the 'soft close' option is yet another system that is prone to failure, (as well as the rust and the brake pump/modulator issues - on the earlier E Class models), but I don't mind dealing with a few esoterical issues as long as the engine and gearbox are ok!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Martin.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As far as I'm aware only S, SL, CL and E class estates.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Its an option anyway and as above , i dont recall any C or E having it but im happy to stand corrected

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That would explain why I hadn't seen it listed in the specs!!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
FWIW - I tried a car with soft close and found it pointless - you still have to pull the door to a certain point to then let it go so it can "soft close". It was a very cheap option (£200 on my car iirc) but I struggled to see the advantage. However, I'm from the school that finds a self closing boot lid pointless. I'm standing right there, I have to lift my arm to press the 'close' button, I can just simply pull it closed ffs.

If you have not tried it, might be worth trying first. Presumably it can be switched off if you do not like it.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
FWIW - I tried a car with soft close and found it pointless - you still have to pull the door to a certain point to then let it go so it can "soft close". It was a very cheap option (£200 on my car iirc) but I struggled to see the advantage. However, I'm from the school that finds a self closing boot lid pointless. I'm standing right there, I have to lift my arm to press the 'close' button, I can just simply pull it closed ffs.

If you have not tried it, might be worth trying first. Presumably it can be switched off if you do not like it.
I agree with you on electric boot closing, too many threads on here with motors and mechanisms failing with £££ repairs.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I agree with you on electric boot closing, too many threads on here with motors and mechanisms failing with £££ repairs.
You could say that about most gadgets on cars these days. The more the manufacturers add the more repairs are required and most are pointless.

Even the car entertainment systems are virtually useless after a few years, my 2004 SL entertainment is now just an amp, I have satnav, audio streaming and DAB radio all provided externally to the built in system.

OP
M

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Talking of gadgets for gadgets sake I will always remember one of my business trips to the States, (back in the early 80's), when I rented a medium sized saloon car to travel to and from a few locations in the States.

The car had a fully mechanised seat belt application system that drew the belt around you - leaving just the task of inserting the buckle to the driver!!!!!

I was told that this was an attempt to encourage drivers to wear their seat belts but not dure how true that was!!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
E Class estates have it...on the tailgate.

As for gadgets. My car has the usual flop down rear headrests...but also can be raised by press of a button. Also, if they are down and someone sits on a rear seat that head rest will rise. However, when that person gets out of the car...the headrest stays up and leads to an imbalanced look for the car behind...why oh why do we have these first world problems?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
FWIW - I tried a car with soft close and found it pointless - .

I thought this. One of the worlds biggest wastes of time, money and resources.... a year after I've been used to it on my car, I was in a BMW dealer looking at an as new 5 series inside the showroom. I was opening all the doors and checking trim etc. for damage and the right rear door just wouldn't shut. 5 times I tried to close it. I was like what's going on.....

Started checking for damage around the door seals and round the hinges, still wouldn't shut. For heavens sake I thought, there's no seat belt smashing into the door catch I've already looked for that twice. But hey ho, I'll check for the 8th time. Nothing....

Then it dawned on me oh ! No self close, you have to give it a bit more of a shove... clunk, and it shut nicely. Tried again, yep its all normal. Its the operator being an idiot. Oh dear I thought, how can one ever get used to needing that....

I didn't buy as it didn't have proper cruise control... Sales guy thought I was some nut job... drove my S class out into traffic and immediately stuck on the radar cruise, so it can do driving with idiots...

you get used to stuff !

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
@Botus

EDIT

Having used soft close doors, is it worth having or not?

The only time I've thought they might be handy is when my wife does not close her door properly as she walks away from the car.:mad:

I didn't realise that the S class had adaptive cruise control as early as 2010.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
@Botus

Having used it, is it worth having or not?

The only time I've thought they might be handy is when my wife does not close her door properly as she walks away from the car.:mad:

I didn't realise that the S class had adaptive cruise control as early as 2010.
Mercedes introduced “Distronic” radar cruise control in 1999 on the W220 S Class and CL Class

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
My e class is 2010 and has adaptive cruise, make my occasional commute much more relaxing.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes introduced “Distronic” radar cruise control in 1999 on the W220 S Class and CL Class
Distronic plus I think he meant Russ, distronic was fine but really not great as it cut out under 20mph

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Distronic plus I think he meant Russ, distronic was fine but really not great as it cut out under 20mph
2005 “Distronic Plus” introduced on the S, the CL and the E :cool:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thought the e was slightly later, 2006 with the facelift, but who’s picking over 1 year lol

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
My s211 from 2008 had a soft close tailgate... Never quite understood what for, it makes sense on the CLS though which is electric open and close with button

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I tried a car with soft close and found it pointless - you still have to pull the door to a certain point to then let it go so it can "soft close". It was a very cheap option (£200 on my car iirc) but I struggled to see the advantage.

I specified soft close doors on my 2010 BMW 5 series and was a little disappointed. You could close the door as normal, but it then took the door back out about 5mm and brought it back in (softly and quietly naturally).

You got used to it but anyone travelling in the car for the first time was always a bit thrown because they thought they had closed the door properly (which they had) but the car then always took the door out and brought it back in. And no, you couldn't switch it off!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom