Well, Here I Am.

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
Hello everybody, my name is Mike, a retired proud granddaddy of two, a boy and girl,
I like driving, shooting, good food, (Italian) good Whisky

I had a Mercedes C Class (W202) 240 Elegance auto in blue a T plate car that was gorgeous, all leather and lots of toys. Boy, did that kick-down work well.

Now after nearly 20 years I'm about to get a W169 A Class because I'm sick and tired of a feeble Mitsubishi Mirage 2017 model year. Go over a pothole and your false teeth fall out. It's a 2011 Classic SE manual, what I want to know are these vehicles reliable? Big question mark please..
Can I retro fit both Cruise Control and an automatic dimming rear view mirror? It apparently has auto lights or wipers, can't remember which.

I just need a car for my grandchildren and me, won't go automatic (CVT) because I don't like them.
Thanks in advance.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi Mike and welcome.
@GLK will be along shortly I'm sure to help out with any w169 questions you may have...
Good call about avoiding the CVT though :)

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Hello everybody, my name is Mike, a retired proud granddaddy of two, a boy and girl,
I like driving, shooting, good food, (Italian) good Whisky

I had a Mercedes C Class (W202) 240 Elegance auto in blue a T plate car that was gorgeous, all leather and lots of toys. Boy, did that kick-down work well.

Now after nearly 20 years I'm about to get a W169 A Class because I'm sick and tired of a feeble Mitsubishi Mirage 2017 model year. Go over a pothole and your false teeth fall out. It's a 2011 Classic SE manual, what I want to know are these vehicles reliable? Big question mark please..
Can I retro fit both Cruise Control and an automatic dimming rear view mirror? It apparently has auto lights or wipers, can't remember which.

I just need a car for my grandchildren and me, won't go automatic (CVT) because I don't like them.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome Mike.
A class and B classes have cvt`s and E class has Torque Convertors.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum :)

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
Welcome Mike.
A class and B classes have cvt`s and E class has Torque Convertors.
Proper auto's like my old C Class. I have no time for CVT transmissions.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Mike and welcome.
@GLK will be along shortly I'm sure to help out with any w169 questions you may have...
Good call about avoiding the CVT though :)
Hi Mike and welcome!

I don't know much about mechanical matters, but have done a few mods & retrofits, so might be able to help :)

Electrochromic RVM - definitely yes: one of the first retrofits I did on my car, and it's five years older, than yours.

Tempomat / Cruise Control - this will depend on other factory options fitted, but should still be possible - Comand Online is your best bet for this. Pretty sure Mark retrofitted one to his son's W169 with manual transmission.

As mine is CVT, it was a standard feature :p

Auto lights and wipers - I believe it will be both, as I think these were not trim-specific.
If you have parking sensors, the car will park itself

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
Hi Mike and welcome!

I don't know much about mechanical matters, but have done a few mods & retrofits, so might be able to help :)

Electrochromic RVM - definitely yes: one of the first retrofits I did on my car, and it's five years older, than yours.

Tempomat / Cruise Control - this will depend on other factory options fitted, but should still be possible - Comand Online is your best bet for this. Pretty sure Mark retrofitted one to his son's W169 with manual transmission.

As mine is CVT, it was a standard feature :p

Auto lights and wipers - I believe it will be both, as I think these were not trim-specific.
If you have parking sensors, the car will park itself
Thanks GLK, the only "Park Assist" it has is the driver.:)

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Welcome
I had a Nissan Primera for 11 years with CVT, very smooth, a bit slow on take up when stopped at T junctions.
I gave no trouble which can't be said for 7 speed auto box on my CLK, electroplate replaced.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom