Sprint booster worth it?

simonmo88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 w211 e280
Has anyone bought or thought of buying one of these? Has it really changed the throttle response for the better or made it worse? From what I understand it's a plug in that changes the throttle response since our cars are drive by wire?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Used to be a case of easier to understand for people to say stand on the pedal harder and quicker , because that's their limited understanding .

The product was designed primarily to get rid of that horrible pedal lag that alot of different car makes experience , shockingly some are performance cars .

Of late there are now videos and better accurate discriptions due to people dismantling the induction pipework etc and observing or filming , it's quite satisfying as it disproves the knuckle dragging nay sayers who just want to stick to their opinion even when proven wrong .

No risk to buying as 30 day satisfaction return .

Smooths out alot of throttle inputs and gets it moving better .

This sums up it's operation very well who actually stripped away to observe the throttle plate..

"I personally didn’t believe the claims of change after looking at the specs and the voltage delivery statements.. but my brother purchased one for his 2008 Hilux 2.5L TDI, so I decided to check it out myself, after hearing his claims that the responsiveness felt more like the older cable driven throttles that had a 1:1 response to pedal travel.
For the test I by-passed the pedal to a direct on/off switch system to eliminate the possibility of different speeds of pedal press.
What I found was:
1. from off to full depression the DBW throttles seem to operate at a slower and smoother pace thru the operation of the butterfly with full pedal depression.
With the Throttle tuner (TT) at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)
2. via datum measurements, I measured that at 100% pedal depression, the physical opening marker of the butterfly with out the Throttle tuner was considered to be 100%.
With the TT at full setting the butterfly opened consistently with an approximate 2 degree increase (doubt this was manufacturer intentional and may be due to ware over time and the faster delivery of the voltage causing a minor “flick” to become noticeable) but it was a slight increase none the less.
3. I then measured the vacuum & boost (2 different digital and analog liquid filled gauges), both al fully depressed pedals, and again it resulted in gains over the stock. It was evident that the ECU was aware of a change in the Air/Fuel ratio and compensated as it is supposed to.
4. for the Dyno test, I returned the pedal to its original foot controlled operation.
Stock and TT both delivered the same top end HP.. but the faster acceleration of the TT resulted and a torque delivery in a shorter timeframe (which is what most drivers would “feel” and refer to as the “ass dyno”). So yes, there is feel of increased G-force (mistakenly referred to as power) as the faster engine acceleration is in fact transferred to the wheels delivering improved propulsion.
The science of this item is more than the mere voltage curve from 0%-100%.
It includes the other calculations of the other factors like fluid dynamics, voltage drops, intentional retarding, losses and gains due friction, etc, etc, etc.
The system operates on a similar premise to the older cable tethered, “cam throttle” application used on motorcycle throttles that converted a 1/4 turn throttle twist into a 1/8 turn equivalent. The cam was tuned via shaping of the lobe (sometimes lobes plural) to deliver mechanically increased throttle/twist response ratios, typically tuned to sync with the powerbands of the specific motorcycles.
Now you can say that it in their head as well.. but then that would also mean 1/4 mile stats and data loggers help perpetuate the placebo effect.
So all in all :
No, it does not make the vehicle more powerful overall. The overall top end output remains the same. but..
Yes, the users do “feel” a difference in the operation of the vehicles.. thought it likely feels greater than it is.
Yes, the torque curve is brought on earlier (the “ass dyno” didn’t lie)
Yes, the claims are exaggerated (that’s just the marketing aspect)
Yes, results will vary from brand to brand, model to model and even car to car within the same brand/model due to tuning, etc.,
..but for low rpm acceleration, where most people want to get a bit of an increase (like pulling off from a stand-still stop, or pedaling to overtake) they will be pleased in most production vehicles and more so in higher tuned “weekend race vehicles”
I have since installed a similar device in my own 2008 Hilux of the same spec. and the results have been very similar.
Like with racing, every ounce of weight shed, every pound of boost gained, every advantage found, adds up.
Note:
Pedal switch tests were done over 3 days, 3 times a day, 3 runs each time.
Day 1 – Set up switches, Throttle tuner
Day 2 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – Stock pedal tests first, followed by engaged TT
Day 3 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – TT engaged pedal tests first, followed by stock pedal
Humidity was just about the same with about a 5-10 degree fluctuation for equivalent times.
32″ fan was directed into the engine bay for all tests.
Dyno test was done in 1 day.
Drove to dyno center 15 mins away.. 1hr rest.. temp check.. 3 runs stock pedal.. 1hr rest.. temp check for matching pre run temp.. 3 runs TT full setting engaged pedal."

The truth will always come to light .

Don't listen to the nay saying knuckle club , white papers , limited understanding , entrenched views , it's what happens in the real world that's important .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Used to be a case of easier to understand for people to say stand on the pedal harder and quicker , because that's their limited understanding .

The product was designed primarily to get rid of that horrible pedal lag that alot of different car makes experience , shockingly some are performance cars .

Of late there are now videos and better accurate discriptions due to people dismantling the induction pipework etc and observing or filming , it's quite satisfying as it disproves the knuckle dragging nay sayers who just want to stick to their opinion even when proven wrong .

No risk to buying as 30 day satisfaction return .

Smooths out alot of throttle inputs and gets it moving better .

This sums up it's operation very well who actually stripped away to observe the throttle plate..

"I personally didn’t believe the claims of change after looking at the specs and the voltage delivery statements.. but my brother purchased one for his 2008 Hilux 2.5L TDI, so I decided to check it out myself, after hearing his claims that the responsiveness felt more like the older cable driven throttles that had a 1:1 response to pedal travel.
For the test I by-passed the pedal to a direct on/off switch system to eliminate the possibility of different speeds of pedal press.
What I found was:
1. from off to full depression the DBW throttles seem to operate at a slower and smoother pace thru the operation of the butterfly with full pedal depression.
With the Throttle tuner (TT) at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)
2. via datum measurements, I measured that at 100% pedal depression, the physical opening marker of the butterfly with out the Throttle tuner was considered to be 100%.
With the TT at full setting the butterfly opened consistently with an approximate 2 degree increase (doubt this was manufacturer intentional and may be due to ware over time and the faster delivery of the voltage causing a minor “flick” to become noticeable) but it was a slight increase none the less.
3. I then measured the vacuum & boost (2 different digital and analog liquid filled gauges), both al fully depressed pedals, and again it resulted in gains over the stock. It was evident that the ECU was aware of a change in the Air/Fuel ratio and compensated as it is supposed to.
4. for the Dyno test, I returned the pedal to its original foot controlled operation.
Stock and TT both delivered the same top end HP.. but the faster acceleration of the TT resulted and a torque delivery in a shorter timeframe (which is what most drivers would “feel” and refer to as the “ass dyno”). So yes, there is feel of increased G-force (mistakenly referred to as power) as the faster engine acceleration is in fact transferred to the wheels delivering improved propulsion.
It includes the other calculations of the other factors like fluid dynamics, voltage drops, intentional retarding, losses and gains due friction, etc, etc, etc.
The system operates on a similar premise to the older cable tethered, “cam throttle” application used on motorcycle throttles that converted a 1/4 turn throttle twist into a 1/8 turn equivalent. The cam was tuned via shaping of the lobe (sometimes lobes plural) to deliver mechanically increased throttle/twist response ratios, typically tuned to sync with the powerbands of the specific motorcycles.
Now you can say that it in their head as well.. but then that would also mean 1/4 mile stats and data loggers help perpetuate the placebo effect.
So all in all :
No, it does not make the vehicle more powerful overall. The overall top end output remains the same. but..
Yes, the users do “feel” a difference in the operation of the vehicles.. thought it likely feels greater than it is.
Yes, the torque curve is brought on earlier (the “ass dyno” didn’t lie)
Yes, the claims are exaggerated (that’s just the marketing aspect)
Yes, results will vary from brand to brand, model to model and even car to car within the same brand/model due to tuning, etc.,
..but for low rpm acceleration, where most people want to get a bit of an increase (like pulling off from a stand-still stop, or pedaling to overtake) they will be pleased in most production vehicles and more so in higher tuned “weekend race vehicles”
I have since installed a similar device in my own 2008 Hilux of the same spec. and the results have been very similar.
Like with racing, every ounce of weight shed, every pound of boost gained, every advantage found, adds up.
Note:
Pedal switch tests were done over 3 days, 3 times a day, 3 runs each time.
Day 1 – Set up switches, Throttle tuner
Day 2 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – Stock pedal tests first, followed by engaged TT
Day 3 – 7am (first test), 12pm (second test), 8pm (third test) – TT engaged pedal tests first, followed by stock pedal
Humidity was just about the same with about a 5-10 degree fluctuation for equivalent times.
32″ fan was directed into the engine bay for all tests.
Dyno test was done in 1 day.
Drove to dyno center 15 mins away.. 1hr rest.. temp check.. 3 runs stock pedal.. 1hr rest.. temp check for matching pre run temp.. 3 runs TT full setting engaged pedal."

The truth will always come to light .

Don't listen to the nay saying knuckle club , white papers , limited understanding , entrenched views , it's what happens in the real world that's important .

And that from the only supporter of them.

No one else here thinks they do anything more than you can achieve by simply pressing the pedal harder (which is all they effectively do). Attached professional review.

Attachments

• sprintbooster.pdf
    695.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I'm not the only person , hundreds of You tube reviews .

How very clever a 13 year old white paper on the first version when the current product is version three , I live in the real world..

What is the overall diameter difference between 205 55 16 and 235 45 17, again.. !!

Tell me the calculators , tell me the white paper of what they measure at ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only member on here I should have said.

A 13 year old paper is still relevant as the basic operating principle remains the same - amplify the signal from the pedal to make it larger sooner - exactly the same as you can achieve by pushing the pedal further. There's no clever electronic device telling the ECU to do anything different and it is the ECU that turns the request to open the throttle into the command to open the throttle.
A fly by wire throttle does not allow direct coupling of the throttle pedal to the throttle body - the throttle pedal simply requests an action and the ECU decides what to do with it, at times ignoring the request completely. A Sprint Boister does not change any part of that so can only achieve what it does by fooling the ECU into thinking the pedal has been pressed further (which my foot seems quite capable of doing when I tell it).
Your other question is not relevant to the discussion.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I'm never going to get my 205 55 16 Vs 235 45 17 calculation answer from you Al as you know I'll real world prove you wrong and you can't abide by that .

A 13 year old 'professional' review of a discontinued first version .

The world isn't a white paper or can be ruled by maths .

You're out of date and out of excuses , people have filmed the throttle plate opening faster in their partly dismantled engines bays , " hello McFly".

Do you want to continue despite being proved wrong .

I prefer to live in the real up to date world , just one year ago a sceptical guy didn't believe his brothers claims , stripped back the induction piping , bypassed the accelerator with a switch to rule out human response and any inconsistency .

He observed the throttle plate moving faster !

"With the Throttle tuner (TT) at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)"

So you are telling me , he's lying ??

As well as improving pedal lag there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration feel , so he investigated this on a dyno .

" 4. for the Dyno test, I returned the pedal to its original foot controlled operation.
So all in all :
Yes, the torque curve is brought on earlier (the “ass dyno” didn’t lie)"

So the dyno lied ?
Alistair you're running out...

They also give Sema awards out for snake oil too ?

NewsDet1-sema_media_award_announcement2-8587204202482383983-s0 (1).jpg

Remind me what car the OP has ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bored Gaz. It's all been covered before.
You're the only regular on here supports it. The rest of us follow the science and stopped believing in unicorns, fairy dust and magic beans years ago.
Incidentally the world is ruled by mathematics. It describes everything about the world around us in terms of laws, modelling and observations. That's why no device fitted inline to the ECU can "includes the other calculations of the other factors like fluid dynamics, voltage drops, intentional retarding, losses and gains due friction, etc, etc, etc" as it cannot possibly know them due to a lack of any feedback from the engine. That's just marketing BS.

I'm not doubting it makes a car feel different, I'm doubting it does anything more than simply amplify the signal from the pedal to the ECU as that is all it can possibly do. There is no fancy feedback loop, no clever digital code sequence it can issue to tell the ECU to ignore it's programming. It's just an amplifier and the later ones are merely preset with different amplification options.

If you like your expensive toy that's great. I'm pleased for you.
Me, I'll just push the pedal harder when needed just as I have all my life. Never failed me yet.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
People don't post their views on this type of subject because of you telling them they are wrong , because of some white paper or calculation .

I applaud you for getting the K&N and other topics right .

People primarily don't buy it to zoom down the road , primarily it's the drive by wire throttle delay that so many makes suffer from .

So despite the recent video evidence and the 1 year old observation above you still deny such a device can't get a vehicle initially moving any faster than the stab of the foot ?

What's the OP's car ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
People don't post their views because of you telling them they are wrong , because of some white paper or calculation .

People primarily don't buy it to zoom down the road , primarily it's the drive by wire throttle delay that so many makes suffer from .

So despite the recent video evidence and the 1 year old observation above you still deny such a device can't get a vehicle initially moving any faster than the stab of the foot ?

What's the OP's car ?
Correct
And I've really had enough of going over the same boring ground with someone who either doesn't want to understand how these systems work or is unable to understand how these systems work.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
But that's just plain daft and ignorant when separate sources are observing and filming that your view is incorrect !

Real world !!

You won't believe , accept.. what is it ?

And you don't answer my questions , what's that all about ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whatever. The OP has enough information to make up his own mind.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
That's right Al he has a petrol W211
E Class , well done for not answering another question
41.gif

You would make a great politician or maybe not :(

Anyway here's a petrol W203 C Class for assistance .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Feck me, you're like a dripping tap....

No point in answering a question you already know the answer to which you did just by looking at the OPs profile.

Another paid for review? YouTube is full of 'influencers' who are given product in return for a positive review.

I wouldn't take anything posted by a YouTuber with a channel as unbiased. They are after followers and need product to review in order to build their reputation, fan base and income from YouTube.

If you're looking for me to say how wonderful it is you'll be waiting a long time.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Come drive my car then , I'll cycle the modes and or completely remove and drive then reaply .

More evidence will make it's way forward as the truth always comes out .

The video was interesting as the bloke rigged up cameras in the stripped back engine bay and footwell to observe the throttle plate and accelerator , stomping on the gas the plate didn't start moving until he hit the floor , the product improved it . End of..

It does not matter what is presented before you , you will say nay to your grave.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not going to drive your car. I have no interest in doing so and it's currently impossible anyway.

When you can provide full a technical description of what it does and how it works I might be interested but I doubt you'll be able to do that, but having a background in electronic control and logic systems I have no doubt this is simply an amplified signal from the pedal. There's no feedback from the vehicle, no fancy command set, no clever programming.
I've said before, the ECU controls the activation of the throttle body on a request from the pedal. No device inserted between the pedal and the ECU can change that. All a device can do is try to fool the ECU into believing the throttle pedal is pressed further than it is.

As for SEMA - you do realise the last M stands for Market and that awards are judged by journalists? Another SEMA winner? The masters of marketing (also debunked many times by empirical testing and also the subject of much forum debate) K&N have multiple awards.
Awards are given with "the purpose of identifying and discovering what new products are likely to succeed in their home countries. "
Nothing to do with technical excellence. Nothing to do with how it actually works.
It's all about how well it will sell to the gullible.

That's it. I'm done with this topic as it's just the same sh*t we've already covered.

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
They are not going to give any technical information as they have enough copying their pioneering product anyway .

Sceptical people within the last year have rigged up switches to bypass the accelerator to observe the throttle plate from the engine bay and another two cameras , filming throttle plate and footwell , both show improvement that a switch or foot CAN'T replicate , real world Al , real world...

" at full setting, the butterfly opened visibly/noticeably faster.. not drastically but an increase none the less. (This ruled out the previous thought of a different driving style, or depressing the pedal faster would produce the same result, as the switch ruled out human responsiveness, making it obvious that another factor is present)".

Logic - tell me what your computer says the overall diameter difference between 205 55 16 and 235 45 17 is then ?

Real world , not everything is a calculation or white paper Al , 205 55 16 / 235 45 17 demonstrates that , go there and I can help open up your eyes and free up your mind !

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200d/2015/2.2
Hi, I can see both Gazworlds and Lostkiwis point of view, but after fitting a device similar to this on my trusty diesel smart car, it helped transform a very ponderous drive to more snappy response, probably snake oil, but I found it a great improvement in driving experience.
It was quicker away from junctions. Mine can be adjusted from a soft response to an aggressive one, I plumped for a mid setting and I can say I am happy with it.
As previously mentioned it doesn't give the car any more power, just a greater response to throttle movement.
I like it!
Pete

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I bought it for just the drive by wire throttle pulling out delay - safety .

The rest is a bonus .

Top Bottom